• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Desert-divers in Dahab

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

matrixed82

Jul 22, 2004
My girlfriend and I are thinking of going to Egypt for our next vacation and considering Dahab given all the comments on here on how amazing the diving is and that the accommodations are cheap. She is not a freediver but enjoys snorkeling so a full out freediving trip is out of the question :naughty .

Apart from diving is there lots to do and visit in or close to Dahab? I was considering doing one of those diving and desert safaris with desert-divers (http://www.desert-divers.com/), has anyone done it, any feedback?

One last question, I just started looking at airfare and I found good prices to get to Cairo, is it very expensive for a flight from Cairo to Sharm El-Sheik (from what I read on this forum there are no direct flights to Dahab)?

Cheers,
Daniel

They are direct flights to Sharm El-Sheik

you may look att www.lottaericson.com

Is the best deal that you can get and really she can organisee everything....
Maybe if you are in Dahab between mai Juni you can see the tripledepth competition

Dahab is great for snorkling.. it is like diving in a seewater aquarium :)

Lambis

Problem is though: Lotta does not seem to look into her emails.

Or do you know a way of getting in touch with her directly ?

see ya
Holger

There are flights to Sharm-el-Sheikh. One-way taxi from Sharm to Dahab (about 100km) should cost you 150-200 Egyptian pounds (~£15-£20 GB pounds).
You have plenty of opportunities in Dahab to organize (and negotiate) various trips in the area - and they are not that expensive either (that is after the price negotiations :D). Actually, you can barely walk through Dahab without being stopped by someone offering you trips, taxi, horse & camel ride. There are a few freedivers permanently in Dahab and many more have visited it...so I am sure all your questions will be answered.

Hi Holger and Daniel!

Holger... I do Answer my emails... eventualy rofl . I have been really busy lately and it has been christmas and new year... You will get your answer, I promise! :) (I am here in July)

Daniel, as others already answered ther are charter flights to Sharm. If you still fly to Cairo you need to take the bus to dahab, about 9h. The flights from Cairo to Sharm are really expencive. If you whant me to help tou out with your dive vacassion here in Dahab, send me an mail to info@lottaericson.com. I will answer it :)

Lotta

:)

I thought, I would get you this way.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Holger

hi matrixed,
i imagine that your trip will be no less than one week, so i would recommend that you stay in sharm not dahab, especially if your wife does not freedive. you could always go to dahab for a couple of days by taxi or so. the accomodations in Dahab, are not very good (again i dont know what budget you have in mind), but in sharm you still have the option of going out at night, great resorts, plenty of activities in the day, snorkeling, scuba etc..., you could alsoi go freediving in sharm in "sheokh coast"resort there's an italian center over there, they have the lines all hooked up. there are direct flights to sharm, i would recommend that option definitely. take it from a local :)

...the accomodations in Dahab, are not very good ????

Why you say that? I was in Dahab and the accomodations are o.k
If you ahve money you stay in Hilton if you dont you take something simple
but they are O.K. Aircontition etc...
Freedivers live simple and dive a lot :)

Now if you what a typical tourist holidays like everybody do then go to sharm
and live and have funn with other tourists :)

But in Dahab you still have the chance to come in contact with the locals and make trips in the desert and visit beduin Villages.

Culturel is Dahab always a better idea and if you dont find luxus that not a problem for most off us..

or so. the accomodations in Dahab, are not very good (again i dont know what budget you have in mind), but in sharm you still have the option of going out at night, great resorts, plenty of activities in the day, snorkeling, scuba etc..., you could alsoi go freediving in sharm in "sheokh coast"resort there's an italian center over there, they have the lines all hooked up. there are direct flights to sharm, i would recommend that option definitely. take it from a local

Thank you all for your input, I will look into accomodations in Sharm as well. I'm thinking of going for 2 to 3 weeks so I figure that will give me plenty of time to see different places. If I do end up going in Egypt I will try my luck and send you and email Lotta :)

Daniel

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT