• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Design positions?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Landlocked

Jun 24, 2004
I posted this question in a different thread, but didn't get any replies, so I thought I would try again. Anyway here goes...

I am an industrial designer with 3 years experience, and a rescue diver with 13 years experience. I am looking to combine my career with my hobby. Does anyone have any contacts with any SCUBA related manufacturers? I have been having a hard time finding any information concerning careers with manufacturers. I am currently located in Mississippi, but have no qualms about moving.

Anyway, thanks for any help/information/insight you can give me.

I have an online portfolio at www.coroflot.com/chrislovin

It's not real up to date, but better than nothing...

Last edited:
I no longer have any contacts, however, if you are really that interested in combining your career and your hobby contact some of the companies directly. Call Scubapro, Oceanic or who ever you like and go from there.
They won't take away your birthday for asking. The worst they can do is say no.

I tried that with Aqualung and got lost in their maze of an automated phone system. When I finally got an operator she was skeptic of my intentions and kept giving me someones voicemail. I have no idea if that person was in the design department, human resources, or sanitation engineering, but needless to say, he never called back.

I was just trying to alleviate a lot of that headache this time.

Anyway thanks for the response, and I am sure if I stay with it the cold calls will eventually pay-off.

I know the cold call idea sucks. But I think if you did up your resume and mailed it in with a good cover letter and maybe even a refrence letter from a professor or SCUBA intstructor or the owner of a store you hang out in, and send it to one of their equipment lines it might get more attention than just a voice mail.

People get voice mails all the time.
I hate to sound like an ass, but I almost never return a message, I'm usually too busy. With a letter and resume they will know you are serious about working for them and may give you some attention in return.

Mako

I would also start by putting in a little time at a local dive store.

Once your in with them they can get you trained, by the companies, to overhaul regulators. It's not that hard to do, but would help round out your resume by having experince in the field acutally working on the products you hope to design.

It will also allow you to figure out what kind of design imporovements you would want to make if your were in charge- which could come in handy if you get an interview.;)

From there it's just the 'shotgun' approach of sending our resumes to all the big dive companies. Phone calls almost never work.

Good luck,

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT