• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Detecting Cheating in Freediving - Static

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
My clip from another thread. Here are some most important and urgent things to rules, if we want keep magicians with pure O2 trick away from AIDA STA attempts and competitions:
-----
Just conclusion:
In the first place I was worried about that magicians will get the STA WRs in future, and clean freedivers has no chances anymore. And because of that must be much more aware with pure O2 in records, because they use just that (easy) trick. And it is evident that today's rules especially in STA are not suitable for that situation.

So, there should be in AIDA rules for Static Apnea:

1) The whole STA performance must be done just in the front of judges.

2) In WR (attemp) cases there must an instrument (those are available) for measuring how much there is O2.

3) A athlete(/magician) can't exhale during whole performance big amounts of air (big exhales only in the about last 2 mins.), if he/she wants to get a white card.

4) In all pool disciplines it's not allowed, that there are holes, boxes, instruments, tubes, extra air flows or any other potential pure O2 arragements near (e.g. 3 m) the point of performance, or that near other place where athlete stays from -10min to OT/start. Emergency O2 (CPR-system) is allowed to bring near athlete just after start (if there in no emergency situation before it).

5) A mask is not allowed in STA (easy to hide tubes or take inhales in surface)

6) (In all pool and depth discipines) a snorkel must be checked by judge just before and after use, if it has used from -45 min to OT/start

Edit: 4), 5) and 6) added

If we get these, I'm really satisfied (for freedivers), and we can be sure that magiciants or other potential O2 trickers will not be.
When AIDA rules will checked next time, I hope this will be considered.
----

Last edited:
Thanks Timo!

Sound like solid suggestions an AIDA board can implement easily into our rules we can have trust in.

Kars

1) It must be in rules that whole STA performance must be done just in the front of judges.

2) In WR (attemp) cases an instrument (those are available) for measuring how much there is O2.

3) A rule, that you can't exhale during whole performance big amounts of air (big exhales only in the about last 2 mins.), if you want to get a white card.

If we get these, I'm really satisfied (for freedivers).
When AIDA rules will checked next time, I hope this will be considered.
----
The three rules from Timo are really good and should absolutely be considered.

If we can add two more things I would be a absolutely ecstatic.

4) an UW camera on the face of the athlete during the attempt.
As long as we are filming and with the current equipment technology it should not be to hard to be able to do that. Maybe not at competitions but at record attempts it should be considered.

5) only public pools.
I do not like the possibilities you get when you are in someones own pool or temporary pools for records. There are just to many ways to manipulate with the surroundings.

Just my two cents.

1) Snorkel containing O2 container;
Insert lit match in the snorkel

2) Suit of athlete and coach containing 02 container:
coach and athlete must be naked during 24 hours
prior to attempt

3) Pool preparations:
Location of competition is secret until 10 minutes
before first official warm-up

4) Hand carried O2 devices:
All competitors are allowed only
a 1-liter transparent zip-bag

5) Swallowed O2 devices:
All competitors must vomit in
front of judges before warm-up​

6) Breathing through mask:
head of competitor is wrapped in a plastic bag
prior to attempt

7) Breathing through regular airways (Mouth and Nose) :

did you possibly forget another airway?

8) Breathing through Tear-ducts:
The competitor must cry during
the whole duration​

9) Breathing through Ears:
competitor must wear closed earphones
(and listen to loud didgeridoo during whole attempt,
which helps with #8)
(change didgeridoo to whatever is most irritating to you)

10) Doping:
Judges must have access to bank accounts of
competitors in the six months prior to event

Well, those are the standards rules to take a plane to the USA.*Not original.

Are o2 and drugs the only way to cheat in static? Should music and pre recorded coaching or mind games on an ipod during a static be considered? What about cheating by favouritism of the judges? Breathing substantial amounts of 02 before the 45 minutes?

Are o2 and drugs the only way to cheat in static? Should music and pre recorded coaching or mind games on an ipod during a static be considered? What about cheating by favouritism of the judges? Breathing substantial amounts of 02 before the 45 minutes?
-"drugs" is a lot of things...
-already banned in the rules
-the formal answer is never! In practice, a judge could give you a white card when you did not deserve it, but there is no way a judge can add a minute or two to your static
-O2 advantages are supposed to vanish after 10-15min you stop using it

I really just dont get why people feel the need to cheat at freediving there isnt much money in it,fame and recognition are usually only within the community its just sad it has come to this.They could just lengthen the time you must be on deck prior to static.And have a appointed assistant proir to deck.

As far as I know there is no proof anyone cheated. Even at the magician, there is no evidence of any cheat, which does not mean he did not cheat, but I think it is little bit premature to damn the sport because of some suspicions.

I found the mask I'll use for my coming world record attempt in STA:

4433466010_a49f41a87b.jpg

When you have something new and noteworthy! - I really want to do a WR static, and it would be nice to make a 6 minute jump in my performance :) LOL

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT