• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Did you ever get entangled/stuck? Please vote.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ever got entangled/stuck while immersed during a freedive?

• No

Votes: 54 56.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • Can't remember/unsure/other

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Originally posted by nickw
I now dive with fin keepers:)
More info about these please? I had thought of them on my own before, but I didn't know if they already existed or not. Can I buy them somewhere? Will they work with normal closed heel fins?

You can buy fin retainers in the deeper blue shop. And yes, they're fine with closed heel (full foot?) fins. I use them with my Cressi Gara's as my feet are only a size 36-37 and my fins are size 40-41!! The fin retainers work well and I've never had a problem keeping the fins on my feet.

Donna :)

Originally posted by Donna
You can buy fin retainers in the deeper blue shop. And yes, they're fine with closed heel (full foot?) fins. I use them with my Cressi Gara's as my feet are only a size 36-37 and my fins are size 40-41!! The fin retainers work well and I've never had a problem keeping the fins on my feet.
Thanks for the quick reply... but do you happen to know which section of the store they're in? I looked through several sections and couldn't seem to find them, but then again, I still am not sure exactly what they are. Is it simply a lanyard system that saves your lost fin from falling away? Or is it a strap of some sort that makes it impossible for the fin to come off?

Your welcome - have a look in the fins section under the sub heading spare parts. There are two fin holders - one is cressi and one is picasso. They are basically a three pronged strap - they slide over your foot with one strap sitting arond the top of the foot pocket, another section goes under the fin and the third section sits comfortably on top of your foot, making it pretty much impossible for the fin to slip off your foot.

Hope this helps....

Donna :)

Reactions: The111
Re: Falling rocks

Originally posted by jeff.richardson
But then there was a cave diver at about 50' who decided to push a boulder down into the cavern. It was about 25" across, so it was pretty heavey. It hit bottom right behind me and made a loud crack, and then scraped my legs as it slid past me. It was followed by a wall of silt that completely cut off my visibility to the surface.

He said he had checked first by dropping a smaller rock.... who can argue with that logic!
The Fools of the Deep strike again!

It seems that some very serious accidents/near misses are caused by other people. They always "didn't know what would happen" - but maybe thinking before doing would be a good idea?

This is the scariest thread of all!

Lucia

Re: Falling rocks

Originally posted by jeff.richardson
Oh well, gotta have a bad day every once in a while.
Not if you follow my advice and go in the evening. :)

I had a great time that evening after I talked to you. Vis not too bad, and even though I was coming down with a cold I still had some really fun dives. Nobody at the boil for 2 hours but me, my friend, and another diver I met.

Would have been funny if you had retrieved the boulder and handed it back to the guy who knocked it down. :D

It's cool looking up and seeing the rain hitting the surface.

Jeff,

I have some footage of rain on the surface at Blue. In fact, I probably have enough footage to put a small film together. Still, nothing really gives a good representation of what it's actually like in there.

Originally posted by Pezman

Jeff,

I have some footage of rain on the surface at Blue. In fact, I probably have enough footage to put a small film together. Still, nothing really gives a good representation of what it's actually like in there.

Pezman,

Do you think you could post a pic or two of that place here? I keep seeing posts about this place all over the forum. Must be something special. Would be great to have a little peek.

Tommy,

Here are links to four pictures that I posted in the gallery. None of them do it justice. The last shot -- about 20m down, looking up at the surface -- gives a hint of the complexity of the structure inside the spring, but you actually have to see it to really appreciate it. The springs have been carved in soft limestone by water rushing out of the gound, so the features in side are irregular and spectacular. The water basically has been forced through the limestone, from surrounding areas and then rushes out from fissures in the earth. The flow rate is incredible and the water is remarkably clear. There is a lot of literature on the springs -- Jeff has a nice site that references a lot of geological data on the springs and there are other sites out there w/ lots of pictures and movies -- I'll try to post a few.

http://gallery.deeperblue.net/showphoto.php?photo=1883&password=&sort=7&thecat=500
http://gallery.deeperblue.net/showphoto.php?photo=1884&password=&sort=7&thecat=500
http://gallery.deeperblue.net/showphoto.php?photo=1885&password=&sort=7&thecat=500
http://gallery.deeperblue.net/showphoto.php?photo=1886&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

Maybe Jeff or Matt could post a sketch to show what a traverse looks like, but I'll do my best with words.

I
m
a
g
i
n
e

g
o
i
n
g

d
o
w
n

a

l
a
r
g
e

u
n
d
e
r
w
a
t
e
r

s
h
a
f
t
then finding a lateral tunnel the you can barely swim through,
t
h
e
n

f
i

n
d
i
n
g

a
n

o
p
e
n
i
n
g

t
h
a
t

g
o
e
s

d
o
w
n
w
a
r
d,
,tfahs niam eht ot yllatnoziroh kcab gnimmiws neht
a
n
d

t
h
e
n

g
o
i
n
g

b
a
c
k

t
o

t
h
e

s
u
r
f
a
c
e

And, in my case, finishing it off with a wicked samba and ending everyone's session.

Great shots Pez! I love the ones looking up at the surface. Here's some Karma...

That side tunnel freaked me out when I was there, but a couple others went through... only to re-appear mysteriously further down the shaft. Great freediving location indeed!

Aaron

Pezman, I've never seen a description quite like that!

Lucia

Tommy,

Pezmans description is better, but the next best description of Blue is the "Earth Mothers birth canal". Wierd, but beautiful and a great dive. My thanks to Jeff R for showing it to me.

Jeff,

The boulder story is a real freaker, your good luck (and mental control) is impressive. Zero vis in the bottom of Blue has got to be close to my worst nightmare.
Good luck with Frances, may your boulder luck hold. Congratulations on getting shutters up, that's a huge job.

Connor

Last edited:
Originally posted by Pezman
Tommy,

Here are links to four pictures that I posted in the gallery. (snip...)

Thanks. Couldn't give you Karma (the communist system cyber-style...LOL ).

Great pictures and post. :)

theres a lot of posts on this thread and i got class in about 15 minutes but i gotta throw in my 2 cents.

the best lesson i ever learned was to NOT PANIC. i dive in a lot of kelp forest so i got some expierence here. i always have my knife on my arm incase the worse case scenario happens but the key thing is just not to panic. kelp is SUPER strong and the best way to free yourself is to just slowly move out of the mess.

stay safe and stay calm

-holdyerbreath

Yup, sure have!

I regularly dive in a marine park inside of which is a sanctuary zone where you can't fish or even anchor, yet I occasionally find shark traces and yards of line and hooks etc on the reef, I always try to remove them and once in doing so found myself twisted up in a bunch of heavy nylon line wrapped around a coral head! Luckily I had my trusty knife on hand and was able to free myself without complication but disgruntled nonetheless..

Cheers!

Lisa

Reactions: Tommy Engfors
I got stuck just once and I sure will remember the lesson for the rest of my life!

Of course it was my own stupidity that got me in a cave formed by rocks fallen off a large vertical shoreline. It was my first hunt at this spot. Depth was about 7-8 meters and the vertical cliffs ended in pure sand - no fish at all of course. So I was looking for some rocks where some fish might be hiding and found this pile of huge rocks. I was a rookie back than but after mastering the basics and starting to bring fish home after each dive I thought I was the new Neptune!
I dove and waited patiently for my eyes to get familiar with the darkness inside and I saw this large mullet. But naturally, the mullet saw me first and when I started to move, he went deeper in the cave. So I followed and stopped when my shoulders hit the rock on both sides. Then I saw that there were actually 3 mullets in the hole and shot one of them. When I started to move back my belt scratched on the roof and the buckle stuck in the floor. I tried to roll left and right to free it, but only to get completely stuck.... Tried to move forward and back again, but it didn't work... Of course I panicked and even thought about exhaling to reduce my chest volume in order to get out. That would have been the end of me, since it wasn't the chest that was stuck. What saved me was the old handmade buckle of the belt that I was using back then - Old scuba belt style buckle I haen't seen on any of the nowadays belts - the two pieces hookeing to each other so the belt opens with one slightest touch... I slided the shaft under my chest and opened the buckle with it (the mullet slapped me on the face and disappeared, of course if you're wondering). It took me few sec's to get out after that...
I retreived the belt 2 days later, and never even thought of switching for a new one untill I forgot it on the shore after a competition. I just hope it may save somebody else's life!

Now how stupid of an act this was!?

But not as stupid as what a friend of mine did:
He found this cannonball in the sand and stuck his finger in the fuse hole (Or whatever is the reason the cannonballs have this hole). And of course - the cannonball was glued to some more of them and the whole pile - glued to a rock burried in the sand. And of course his finger got stuck in the hole too.
He pulled and pulled and took out his knife to try and separate the cannonball from the pile but it was impossible. Fortunately the last pull he got his finger out by losing a large piece of flesh.
After that he told me he was so panicked he seriously considered cutting his own finger off with the knife.

Sorry if i bored you with the long post...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy Engfors
Hi Guys!

I got entangled once in a Kelp forest.
There was a piece of abandoned fishing line
hidden between the plants, that formed a
kind of loop that somehow got my ankles,
just short of the footpockets.
Hadn´t it got my ankles, it would have got
grip of the monofin...no way out.

So, I got out my knife (a double edged and
nastily barbed one) and proceeded to cut the
line.
By that time the line was so tight, that I got
some ugly cuts on my legs (from sliding the
blade in between fishing line and skin).

Nowadays I use a hook shaped rescue knife,
especially designed to cut seat belts.
It works really fine.

http://www.myskyshop.com/catalog/images/EDITOR/Zubehoer/Hookknife-set.jpg

I already had a real life chance to test it. :)

I was at about 70 ft. and I speared a small snapper that I tried to wrestle out of some rocks. I thought I had it away from the bottom but some how the spear got stuck. I was heading to the surface as line peeled off the reel with the handle spinning fast. Then I noticed my stringer had become detached from the clip on my waist leaving the line and spike dangling down near my reel. Naturally the line got tangled with the reel handle that was spinning a thousand times a second and jammed it. I was stopped at about 25ft. from the surface. I still felt okay but decided to release my belt and hold it just in case I couldn't get the spear out. The instant I grabbed my belt to release it, my partner was 1 ft. in front of me watching.
smthumbup.gif
That's the kind of partner everyone needs. Everything seemed okay until the line from the reel got stuck on my knife that is on my right calve!
eek.gif
Fortunately, the spear pulled free and i made it to the surface and did a couple of hook breaths.

I think I will string my fish on the float from now on.

Skip

Nylon monofilament can be a real pain as it is so hard to see in the water. I nearly got tangled in a shore fishermans line last year. I was snorkelling on the surface and ran right into it. Fortunately I avoided getting tangled up in it. Imagine his disappointment if he had reeled me in!

Discarded line is a really good reason to stay clear of piers and jetties where rod and line fishing takes place. Removing it from the marine environment is a good idea but not if you risk putting yourself in danger.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT