• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diet and Body PH monitoring?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ADR

Jan 21, 2004
Have people monitored their body ph levels by testing blood, urine, and/or saliva on a regular basis with litmus paper or a ph meter? What results have people found and did anyone experiment with diet and find changes in the readings and maybe even improvements in performance as a result? I’m new to drinking raw lemon juice, eating dried figs (thanks Eric) and I wondered what people have experimented with in this area.

Andy

I've started to monitor mine and will report back on what my changing diet results in. Over the past 3 days I have had a urine PH at 5.6-6.0(this is getting a bit personal:) ) and I'll start checking throughout the day as morning samples can often be acidic. From searching the web it seems a healthy alkaline target would be 6.4 (which is actually acidic but an indicator that the body is alkaline). Figs, lemon juice and a bunch of other diet changes should move me up the scale and hopefully will be beneficial to my static. Has anyone else monitored this over time?

Just wanted to incourage you saying that I'm very interested in this thread. Unfortunetly I don't have anything to contribute.
How do you get those PH sticks by the way?
I guess I'll be seeing a lot of those when I'll start uni in a few months...

Originally posted by ADR
From searching the web it seems a healthy alkaline target would be 6.4 (which is actually acidic but an indicator that the body is alkaline). Figs, lemon juice and a bunch of other diet changes should move me up the scale and hopefully will be beneficial to my static.

Dunno about figs, but being that lemon juice is acidic, how does it make your body chemistry more akaline?

Lemon juice contains citric acid. This is neutralized into citrate by the digestion. Citrate is a precursor to bicarbonate.

In general, drinking anything acidic will make you alkaline, by virtue that your digestive system will neutralize the acid before it is absorbed.

i.e. drink coca-cola, the phosphoric acid is turned into phosphate, then absorbed. Drink orange/lemon/grapefruit juice, the citric acid turns into citrate. Take vitamin C, ascorbic acid, and it turns into ascorbate. Take vinegar (acetic acid), and it turns into acetate.

However, foods which make you acidic generally are not acidic. Meat is surely not acidic, but its digestion creates uric acid in the body.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT