• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question difference between dry breathe holding and breathe hold under water?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dwxc

Jul 30, 2019
I just took on a aida2 course and started out freediving recently.

So I did some breathe holding training at home, and I really enjoy process of breathe holding at home. And I also feel comfortable holding my breath in swimming pool.
However, when it comes to the sea, I just feel uncomfortable. I'm not scared of the ocean or anything, but holding my breathe just feel so different. When in the sea, I feel like I'm running out of air as soon as I start holding my breath.

So i want to ask if there's really a difference or is just something mental?

Funny, I’m exactly the opposite. When holding in the ocean or even pool I feel totally free and effortless, when outside the water it’s really a struggle.

Funny, I’m exactly the opposite. When holding in the ocean or even pool I feel totally free and effortless, when outside the water it’s really a struggle.
But I feel comfortable in the pool. Maybe is just me getting a little nervous in the sea haha

Spend some time in the ocean when possible. Start by playing in the water to get comfortable, then increase the effort. Keep in mind that the dive reflex may not kick in for up to 20 minutes.

dwxc, it is normal at the beginning to have shorter breath holds in the ocean. You are not as relaxed as you would be in a pool. Part of it is psychological, but there are real factors like the water is cold, and there are waves. Especially the waves, those will make you instinctively fight them, you have to mentally force yourself into relaxed state when in rough water. It takes time getting used to it, but it will get better. Also, maybe your wetsuit is too thin?

dwxc, it is normal at the beginning to have shorter breath holds in the ocean. You are not as relaxed as you would be in a pool. Part of it is psychological, but there are real factors like the water is cold, and there are waves. Especially the waves, those will make you instinctively fight them, you have to mentally force yourself into relaxed state when in rough water. It takes time getting used to it, but it will get better. Also, maybe your wetsuit is too thin?
YES! I think maybe it's more like a mental thing. Some other beginner started out with me together are learning faster than me it maybe gave me anxiety. But I guess everyone has different progress and I'll just have to train harder.

Staying with freediving is much more important than how fast you pick it up. Plenty of beginners have taken it up, only to drop it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT