• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Difficulty Clearing Using The Frenzel Technique

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MISTAITI

Jun 30, 2004
i HAVE TRIED TO USE THE FRENZEL TECHNIQUE,IT WORKS DOWN TO 6 METERS BUT AFTER THAT I CAN'T CLEAR.COULD ANYBODY THAT HAS A SIMILAR PROBLEM HELP ME OVERCOME THIS.....

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT BUT I READ THE STEP BY STEP TECHNIQUE,AND IT ONLY HELPING ME TO 6 METERS.I WILL READ IT AGAIN AND TRY TO PRACTICE IT MORE IN A POOL AT 3 METER DEPTH

Hey MISTAITI, firstly you should probably press the Caps-Lock key, writing in caps translates as yelling.

Anyway, about equalization, I'm a beginner as well and had difficulties clearing (after 16 meters in my case, but it's the same since at this shallow depth there shouldn't be any problem). I found that there are a couple of factors that might cause this:

1. You don't equalize enough, try equalizing every 1 or 1.5 meters and see if it helps.
2. Try going down slower.
3. Work on your technique, I noticed that diving, at first was difficult, I had to think about a lot of things an consequently my technique wasn't good enough and I did it in a hurry.

Anyway all these helped me, I'm not sure which was the biggest factor, but it might be #3. Try diving to a comfortable depth and then swim descending at shallow angle equalizing as you go.

It could be that you get problems when your inverted, I had that problem before. That would meen that you can equalize rigth after inverting but after a few seconds the tubes get stuck. Only advise I can give is to practise all the times a day and eventualy your tubes will losen up. Equalize every time you think about freediving. :)
/Ulf

Reactions: donmoore
Thank you Ulf
Your reply is head's on . My problem is the difficulty to equalize when my head is inverted.While decending and once I can't clear I stop and raise my head and then I could equalize and then continue my decend. This is not efficient and I need to use advise and equalize every time I think about freediving,and it is always.

thanks a million

When overcoming my inverted problem I used to practice how many times I could equalize on an inversion machine on one breath. Eventually I got up to 120. It took me several months just to equalize inverted at all when I started. Equalizing with pinching the nose is no longer a challenge. Now I play with hands free equalization.

Hanging your head and upper body off a bed is a less costly way to get inverted for dry land practice. The day you quit doing S-turns on your descent and can go straight down is an exciting one. Ulf has it right; practice, practice, practice and it will come.
don

I also had big trouble equalizing in the beginning heads down. And I also had to bring my head upwards to be able to equalize.

I don't know if its training or if its technique. But the thing that did it for me is to equalize all the time. Don't wait until you feel the pressure or pain. Equalize all the way. This will keep your tubes clear.

thanks donmoore

I took your advise and tried to equalize while hanging my body off the bed. Guess what I could not equalize.I kept trying for more than an hour and it is now working but nothing close to your 120 equalizations on one breath.
thanks anyway I will keep practicing it but it is working....

I too am having a very hard time with the Pinch the nose technique (valsalva?). I read Eric's guide to the Frenzel technique, but i don't quite understand it (im 15, give me a break). I was wondering, are you supposed to equalize the whole way down on the dive? I've only been doing it once the pressure starts getting to me. It may also be that i'm inverted, maybe i should try the S curve until i'm better.

Yes skarz you should be equalizing the whole way down and doing each equalization before feeling any pain from pressure for two reasons: first its much easier to open the E-tubes before there is a large difference in pressure between the middle ear and the ambient pressure (the water), and two pain is not an exact measure of the start of damage. If you are waiting to feel pain, you may be damaging your ears. Damage usually first manifests itself as difficulty equalizing in later dives that day.

Hope this helps,
don

Thanks Donmoore, i went out for a short dive and it's making a big difference. I used to wait until about 20 ft. and the pressure would be almost throbbing, and no wonder i couldn't clear it, it was too much to equalize. Right now im equalize about every 5-10 ft. down, reaching depths of 30-40 ft. no fins. Do you think that's enough? It's been working decent, and i haven't had much pain on the ears.

Shark,
That sounds like your doing it often enough. The deeper you go the less the change in pressure over the same distance. What I mean is that there is more pressure change from 0 to 20 feet than from 20 to 40 even though they are both the same distance. This means you shouldn’t have to equalize as often the deeper you go. But for me though I find its much better to error on the side of too many equalizations than two few.

Forty feet is pretty good with no fins and no nose clip - when you equalize by pinching the nose! :)
don

haha, "Shark" :). Might need to get some glasses! Anyhow, does the Valselva only work in shallow waters like i'm in? I would like a nose clip i guess, but i heard something about coming back up, and you have to do something or you can get injured, or something, and it sounds kinda scary!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT