• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Digital camera

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Hi I am looking for a digital camera that has the following features :

-- small
-- can be used for holiday snaps out of water
-- can be put in a small u/w case and taken down to about 20m
-- can take video footage (maybe 45mins for a gig memory card ?)
-- not fussed about a zoom (mostly use wide angles with cameras)
-- not intending to use flash - I like available light work

So basically looking for a point and shoot that will be a bit of fun and I can take underwater.

I have quite a few camera so not looking for anything fancy but as this will be my first foray into digital I could do with some advice.

I guess I like simple stuff when it comes to cameras...

(Been using a Nikonos 3 with tri-x and available light but looking for the ability to use colour / the speed of digital processing / the disposability of digital / the ability of taking video / and also an everyday camera for snap shots).

Not too fussed on megapixels as long as the image quality is good and it is above about 4MP or so.

(Also own Mamiya 6 and 7II and Nikon FM2 ... ie all manual simple cameras ...)

Cheers
Ed

I have a Canon S50 which is now out of production, however the new version S70 is I believe better and has all the features you ask of excepting maybe long videos.
I can't be sure on that but the S50 shoots a maximum of 3min at any one time.
I have never tried using it to film 45mins of footage but if you have a big enough card it shouldn't be a problem.
The waterproof cases are excellent and relatively well priced, especially if you use the local shop 7Dayshop.com.
I remember that they had S70's on special for around 250Stg or so.
not bad for a 7Mp camera.
Plus IMVHO Canon seem to have the best Colour rendition of most digicams that I have used including Nikon.

I've got a casio exz50 with the housing they make for it - heres a link to some shots I've taken with it - often in very low light and allways freediving.

Casio U/W setup pics

Its about the size of a pack of cigarrettes and, in the housing - about the size of a small SLR. These have very nice Pentax lenses. The darkest pics on the site were taken at around 7:30 pm under heavy overcast with rain with quite cloudy water. They are noted on the site As 'Flock of large Drums..'. It was REALLY dark - no flash obviously. Don't know about movies - haven't tried.

like to try the 7 megapixel version sometime :)

Last edited:
Nice shots Fondueset. Posting a bunch of them really gives a feeling of what diving in your area is like. Looks like fun.

Connor

REad the manufacturers description

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007W5LWS/qid=1124652592/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_2/026-8115724-3958825"]Canon Ixus 700 Digital Camera 2.0" LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

And underwater case pretty expensive in my opinion especially considering the price of the camera!!!!

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007W5LXC/ref=er_ra_acc_dp_5/026-8115724-3958825"]Canon WP-DC70 Waterproof Case For IXUS 700: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

Thanks cdavis - I've seen my case for $189us. Just had it since June. I'm hoping to get into some different areas. There are alot of wrecks in shallow water around here.

Wind along the Lake Michigan shore has been North and South alot - which stirs up the clay along the coast - creating that 'milky' effect. I was out yesterday and the wind was from the West - straight toward shore. didn't bring the camera because I thought'd be too rough but, while there were alot of suspended particles, I could see rock sillouttes around 20 meters away! Got macro-close to a couple of those big drums. I consulted with a very accomplished u/w photographer before I got this camera.

The Pentax Optio 5i (5 mega pixels) is worth a look. It has just been superceeded by a new model with a larger TFT screen so it should be available at discount prices. The optional housing is rated to 40 metres. With a 1 gig SD card I have over 300 stills available at highest quality and resolution or 80 mins of video. It also sports an underwater mode for stills and video. Sea & Sea supply add-on macro and wide angle lenses. Hope this helps.

Thats look cool to, and great saving if the listed price is right!!! Unfortunatelly it does not say anything about taking movie ability.Not sure about video resolution, FPS rate and format it supports.May not have waterproof case too but still looks like a great tool

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B0002XNT8K/customer-reviews/ref=br_lf_ce_0/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/026-8115724-3958825"]Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Pentax Optio 750z Digital Camera [7Mp, 5x Optical][/ame]

I have a Canon Ixus 700 (same as S70 as Huan mentioned in previous post) with a UV-housing. I paid like $750 for it with the housing. The housing is rated 40meters (130 feet?).

What I like about it
* Video is great, 640*480 / 30 FPS (almost like DV-camera). Also it adjust lightning during filming as the previous models did not do. This is the main reason why I bought the IXUS, to film under water.
* Excellent battery time. I got two batteries but I almost never have to change. I easily fill up both 1GB memorysticks on one battery.

Video at the highest resolution gives you 9 minutes of footage (1 GB memstick). Decreasing resolution will bring it up 4 times. You can also shoot at 60fps (320x240).

Ed...I stand by my Sony T33...the key is the 'everyday' use with spectacular results. Your requirements fit the bill of a camera we now take everywhere by default as its so small, discreet and powerful with the addition of a 1Gb pro duo stick. There is very good unlimited video too. www.camerasunderwater.co.uk sold me mine for £399 (marine pack + p&p inc.) I actually almost bought a Nikon S1 but when I spoke on the phone with the staff member, he pointed out subtle differences such as build and delay times which is all important to us in getting action shots. Speak to the people on the phone, I believe there is a lot of choice out there but it really means a lot to be able to get some verbal advice and it's a bonus to slip a camera into your pocket like a wallet. All the pics in my postings. are T33.
Good luck in the choice

portinfer said:
Hi I am looking for a digital camera that has the following features :

-- small
-- can be used for holiday snaps out of water
-- can be put in a small u/w case and taken down to about 20m
-- can take video footage (maybe 45mins for a gig memory card ?)
-- not fussed about a zoom (mostly use wide angles with cameras)
-- not intending to use flash - I like available light work

So basically looking for a point and shoot that will be a bit of fun and I can take underwater.

I have quite a few camera so not looking for anything fancy but as this will be my first foray into digital I could do with some advice.

I guess I like simple stuff when it comes to cameras...

Ed

Ed,

I don't know if there is underwater housing available for this particular pentax model.

Just checked Sony DVD Camcorders, they cost between 1200-1500 pounds complete with underwater housing but they have many great benefits. Like recording media from 4.7-10 gig. Better recording quality, photo taking mode too.Very cheap media source (DVD disc) etc..etc..

I don't know what Dapiran used for his Profondo, dentex and other videos at that time. Probably it was not digital media but they had super cool vids.Setup was smillar to those cam coders.Actually the housing is very expensive in my opinion and they (Dapiran and Farizio) were making theirs housing from wood.Very cool isn't it? :cool: :cool:

Hi Murat - not interested in spending that amount of cash. It's just for messing around with and being able to take 40mins or so of medium quality video underwater and being able to slam it in a pocket and take snapshots on dry land. So must be able to fit in a pocket - currently my camera for this is a Ricoh GR1-v... very nice but it is a trad. film camera so cannot take video and there is no housing (in fact I would take the Nikonos III if I wanted only stills)....

Anyway I'll do some more reading - think I can spend £300 to £400 all said and done (mind you my neighbour has just been given a Sea-Do underwater scooter thing so I might be able to test it on Monday :) ... might be spending my cash elsewhere ! )

Ed

I have the Canon A80 with canon housing (40m). The new model out is the A95. The housing has got a flash deffuser which distribute the flash evenly when you take close-ups of small critters. I have posted some pics under members galleries under Rockbrother. The video is only limited to CF card size, but the quality is not so great.

yeah, i'm with Tim about the Pentax Optio, its a mad camera and with the housing it still fits in your palm. i've had a quote for about $AU1000 for the camera and the standard housing. I thing Ikelite and Sea&Sea do a housing but you'll pay shitloads for it

For records,

Panasonic manufactured 3ccd very compact (0.5 pounds) camcorder SDR-S100 whic cost around 1000 dollars. Record on sd card which is 2gb max right now and thats included in package, in highest quality video (which is really high actually) you can record up to 25 minutes, panasonic claim that by the year of 2007 they will have 16 and 32 gb sd cards for the camera. I did not see any better looking answer for underwater photgraphy, just imagine 0.5 ponds and fit in your pocket and still 3ccd camera which takes still images which is not superior but quite good at 2-3 megapixel range. with 16-32gb Sd card you can record whole spearing trip in one media even at highest quality.

Probably it will not took long for some company to make underwater housing for it.

Sealdiver said:
yeah, i'm with Tim about the Pentax Optio, its a mad camera and with the housing it still fits in your palm. i've had a quote for about $AU1000 for the camera and the standard housing. I thing Ikelite and Sea&Sea do a housing but you'll pay shitloads for it

The Pentax housing is an OWP-2. I got mine from Bristol Cameras for about £150.00 http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/. With an adaptor, the Sea & Sea macro and wide angle lenses fit.

http://www.marine-cameras.com/ is a good source of Sea & Sea accessories. Check out their site. I rather fancy going on one of their basking shark expeditions next year...

Last edited:
SurfnSpear said:
Ed...I stand by my Sony T33...the key is the 'everyday' use with spectacular results.

After all the good contributions I've read....I'd still get a Sony T33...:thankyou

Regards

Last edited:
I have been hunting for a new digital camera the last while and I am having a hell of a time finding one that has the complete features I am looking for. Every camera I look at has one or the other feature missing.

Wish list:

- manual shutter speed
- manual aperature
- manual focus
- 640x480 30fps movie mode
- underwater housing to at least -40m

Optional but preferred:
- at most 35mm equivalent lens, preferably ~28mm

Some have no housings:
- Samsung V800
- Casio EXZ-750
- Pentax Optio750Z

Most of the cameras on the market are missing the manual controls, such as:
- Sony T33 and Wx series
- Canon Sx series and SDxxx series
- Fuji Finepix
- Nikon Coolpix 7xxx series and 8xxx series

Others are missing movie mode at 640x480 30fps, such as:
- Olympus 7070 (the best looking in my opinion otherwise)
- Pentax Optio S5i
- Canon Axx series

The only cameras that looks to have possibilty of satisfying everything is the Canon S80 but I am not certain of its manual shutter and apperature.

Without the manual features, I am curious how well others feel their pictures are turning out especially on macro life? If you have links that would be appreciated.

With the lensing effect of water, the auto focus is thrown off. I have not seen any articles on this but I have seen this effect on my camera when I use autofocus. Theoretically I figured it out to be because objects underwater appear closer than they actually are, so when the autofocus figures the distance to your subject it does not have the ability to detect that the object needs to be focused closer than the distance it detects.

So, if anybody has any corrections to my list from personal experience or any further camera recomendations that satisfy my list, I would be glad to hear about it.

Cheers,

Tyler

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT