• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Discovery: Caffeine Free Coke!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

efattah

Mar 2, 2001
For years I noticed that drinking regular coke seemed to actually have positive effects on statics, despite the negative effect of the caffeine.

Sugar right before a breath-hold generally helps (although I don't recommend making it a staple of your diet).

Yet, the effect of the coke seemed more than that of the sugar.

I theorized it was the large amount of phosphoric acid in the coke. This acid is neutralized by the body, to create phosphate, which is itself both a blood buffer (which can buffer CO2), and phosphate is also involved in all sorts of metabolic processes, not the least of which is creatine phosphate and adenosine triphosphate (ATP).

Seals have been measured as having elevated phosphate levels in their blood.

Anyway, I then decided to try caffeine free coke. This is still the SUGAR version, NOT diet caffeine free! It comes in golden cans (at least in Canada).

So far my results have been very positive. Beware though, the phosphoric acid in coke is extremely corrosive and eats away at your teeth; I recommend brushing your teeth immediately after drinking it, or at least drinking some water after to clean your teeth.

I'm interested to see what others find. It is such a simple thing to test.

If you drink the coke right before a static, then you will only get the benefit of the sugar. It takes perhaps 1-2 hours for the phosphoric acid to be neutralized and absorbed.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Explain this to me please, If the acid in Coke helps, how does
Baking Soda(a base) also help?
I'm missing something.

Your stomach never absorbs acids. If you eat sodium bicarbonate, you absorb the bicarbonate. If you eat phosphoric or citric acid, you don't absorb either, they are converted into phosphate and citrate, then absorbed.

What you are thinking about is INJECTING your blood--if you injected yourself with bicarbonate, or phosphoric acid, the effects would be dramatically different from each other.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Do you think Baking soda helps you not get muscle sole from
statics? I've tried drinking a couple teaspoons of the awful stuff
and I didn't notice any positive results. I am still hoping to find
a way it will help, because any(semi-natural) help is good help.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT