• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Discovery Channel Special

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Stephan Whelan said:
If anyone can grab a copy and burn it to DVD i'd appreciate it.
um......what?

Stephan Whelan said:
Folks.

From a legal perspective I have to caution you against putting up copied versions of TV shows or DVD's. This is illegal and the TV, Film and Music industries are working hard at battling it.

Anyway - that's my legal rant over. Apologies but it has to be done!
:hmm

rofl

Parapsycho - yup. I have a duty to say these things - doesn't mean I walk the walk though :D

Parapsycho, Stephan will be getting a severe spanking off the DB team, fear not ;)

That's fine with me.. :cool:

The special was good. I saved it on my DVR, but i dunno how to get that transferred onto DVD. I need to get a DVD recorder,i guess...

The show stated that 50 freedivers in Europe die each year. I don't recall hearing this statistic before. I argued with my wife that the info was false. Surely this would get discussed here on DB often if that were true? Did I just hear this wrong? My wife told me my luck will only hold out for so long. I told her I'm not relying on luck. I hope she's wrong.

Jim

I believe (hope) they're refering to 50 freediving spearfisherman deaths, but I wondered about that myself.

The newest issue of DAN's magazine is reporting 168 incidents 97% of which were fatalities from 1994-2004 for breath-hold/freediving/snorkeling. They also indicate they will incorporate a review of available breath-hold data in the 2006 annual report. Hopefully this will be broken down into subcatagories.

This was such a neat special to watch. Joe may not remember, but back (an ice age ago it seems) at Texas A&M I was a divemaster mentor for the SCUBA classes. Joe was one of my student Dm candidates, and I got to know him very well.

It is so cool to see someone so genuine and so modest as he to be able to make a name for himself, but in astrophysics and now in the competitive freediving world.

Kudos Joe! And congratulations also to you Tanya on your obviously fine job in training him.

:cool: It's great to see such positive feedback on the Discovery doco - thanks! I don't know any more than you guys about when it will air again, but I would imagine that the TV listings page on the Discovery Channel website is the best way to find out. As far as transmission dates for European and Latin American audiences goes, when I find out (I've asked the producers) I will post the info on my website.

:duh As some of you pointed out, the reference to 50 fatalities per year in Europe from freediving was more than a little annoying. Joe and I were asked about this statistic (dug up by a researcher) and both adamantly denied it, but ultimately had no control about what made the final cut. Interestingly, it's been agreed that the stat be removed from the European edit of the doco. :hmm

Thanks again for posting your feedback!

Reactions: DeepThought
I enjoyed the special (seemed a little melodramatic, but I enjoyed it none the less), especially after all the effort I put into taping it:

Three days before it re-aired, I found out about it on the Internet while researching for my History Day project (“Freediving: and How Communication Effects its Popularity”-, I’m still working on the title. Lol)
Well, after finding out the times, I had to then go in search of a person who has the discovery channel.
I ended up dragging my father to Grandma’s after it snowed, WITH a VCR since she didn’t have one.
The exciting part was when it took a ½ hour to setup the VCR (we are not very technology–smart in my family :confused: ). And with a few min. spare it was all hooked up and I pushed the record button. :girlie
In the end I get to use it as a resource for my project (which won’t be done for another month, so please, anyone :wave , take my survey)

So, thank you Tanya, for starting this thread. I wouldn’t have known about the special otherwise. :)

I lucked out and caught the piece about 10 minutes into the broadcast and even with the expected docu-drama and heartstrings pulling that makes these pieces interesting for the general public, I commend both you Tania and Joe for letting the camera get inside the circle of concentration that has to be developed to pursue this sport.

Really an eye opener and I think that when the piece goes into the usual cycle of the Discovery Channel- once every couple of weeks, that not only will the general public benefit, but we established freedivers and spearos as well. It points to the benefits of receiving real coaching; where do I sign up? :cool: Thanks again.

Hi all,
I live in Bulgaria (Eastern Europe) and I caught the film this Sunday. It seems that it finally reached Europe. I enjoyed it very much.
Nothing was mentioned about the 50 freedivers who die in Europe each year. I guess the producers decided not to shock European viewers :)

Here in the UK they showed a documentary about Tanya Streeter on terrestrial TV a couple of years ago. It did mention that "50 freedivers die each year".

And that was how I got into freediving! :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT