• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dive Float?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ONT

Oct 22, 2014
Hello all, I'm new to freediving and I've been trawling the internet looking for different tips on technique, equipment, etc. One of the things I've come across is a "dive float". From what I can tell, it's basically something that floats (obviously) that a diver can hold onto when resting after a dive, it often has pockets where you can stash a water bottle and some snacks, and spearfishers will tie their catches onto it or something. Can someone with more experience enlighten me? I'm not a spearo (yet; for now I'm mostly looking to get myself the new GoPro for Christmas and make some freediving videos :)) so will I likely need one?

Thanks in advance! :D

Type in floater and bowl into the internet, i'm sure you'll find the shit your looking for, cheers. PS. not sure about the snacks however

Last edited:
Reactions: Devinezqui
http://www.makospearguns.com/Spearfishing-Floats-s/41.htm

We have several different floats, if you are looking to compare some..
Thanks Dano, planning to get one. Also new, and trying to figure out what I else I need. Obviously a float but also professional Float Line. Not sure how to use the professional float line. Does that hook to the gun on one side and float on the other side?
Also when I shoot a fish, how to I hook the fish to the cord? (I usually spearfish diving, and just have a hook on the waist) don't I need a sharp thing to go through the gill to get the fish sliding up the cord?? definitely not enough info on the website about how to properly use a float!!!! I tell ya....

Thanks Dano, planning to get one. Also new, and trying to figure out what I else I need. Obviously a float but also professional Float Line. Not sure how to use the professional float line. Does that hook to the gun on one side and float on the other side?
Also when I shoot a fish, how to I hook the fish to the cord? (I usually spearfish diving, and just have a hook on the waist) don't I need a sharp thing to go through the gill to get the fish sliding up the cord?? definitely not enough info on the website about how to properly use a float!!!! I tell ya....

thanks for the inquiry. Probably the simplest way to use a floatline is to clip one end to the handle of the gun and the other to a surface float. After the shot, the gun is connected to the floatline, so it is difficult to loose the gun. Some people who are targeting larger fish, will choose to rig a break away set up, which means that the shooting line and shaft "break away" from the gun and are connected to the floatline. this allows the diver to retain the gun and there should be near zero chance that the gun could be lost.

Some people who are shooting small to moderately sized fish and who do not want to place the fish in a boat, can use a floatline as a fish stringer. After the fish is caught, killed and then removed from the spear, then the fish can be placed on the floatline by discomnnecting the gun from the floatline.

Once the fish is placed on the floatline, the current and divers swimming will tend to fish the fish toward the float away from the diver. Typically a speed ring is used to accomplish this. The metal rod with two eyelets on it, is inserted into the gills and then out the mouth is a common way to do it. Then once the fish is on the line, the gun is re-connected with a longline clip or some other type of clip. Some people call these speed stringers, because it is pretty fast and is popular in some freshwater areas where a lot of fish can be taken and there is no issue with sharks.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Speed-Ring-p/msr.1.htm

MSR.1-2.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT