• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dive instructor questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ReefTroll

Expert Space Drummer
Apr 9, 2008
I'm looking for a career change and was wondering if a dive instructors wage is enough to support myself and two small children?

Very hard to find a job that would...They are out there though. The problem is that alot of the well paid jobs are on privet boats when you could be out for weeks months at a time. Iv done it for 4years and always got paid in life style. 2 years in OZ

Iv not to long ago made the switch to commercial diving. Now thats not fun but good money. OZ has some grate union style ruels. The average inland is around 35 an hour and have to get paid for 9 hour day....NSW

Though again a lot of time away from the family perticaly in the start of you career.

GOOD LUK

Reactions: Mr. X
If you have your own centre maybe, freelance possibly not so much, its more of a lifestyle. Try starting doing it for extra cash on top of a normal job.

A mate of mine reckons he had the secret for making a million pounds out of teaching Scuba. . . . . .

Start with two million.

Highly unlikely I'm afraid - maybe possible if you lived somewhere like Dahab but still going to be a challenge.... sadly it's not something you do for money, far too many people doing it for love alone!

Yes mate you can, I have done it!
If you plan things well and take it very serious....
Mate, I have got the best job on this planet...however..I will never become a millionaire....
Goodluck!!

Last edited:
It would be hard to live only on any money made form dive students alone unless you are changing alot to teach $500 to $700 per students. Down here in Florida there are alot of instructors and stores who have instructors on staff or on call, and they pay them $20 to $50 per students. Good luck in what ever you do.

well to have a real good paid job u dont want to be a dive-instructor. if u become a dive-instructor it is most of the time u the lifestyle. here at the gilis dive-instructors are getting 30% of the courseprice exl books. so for an ow course it gives u 90$ a student made in 3-4 days. in the high season instructors make the money, low season is depending on how the diveshop runs and how many instructors are around. to make more money it is better to specialize urself, so u can teach more specialties or tec diving. specially if u the only one who can teach that u will earn more...but u can also a manager of a shop and teach as a freelancer.... most of thge time real instructors don lik this cuz they will miss the water too much... but the income is stable.... as a instructor u will earn for the asian environment a lot, but for western ways nothing. keep this in mind...

I'm looking for a career change and was wondering if a dive instructors wage is enough to support myself and two small children?

Salaries in Maldives range from 1200 - 2500 usd, including accommodation/food/flights. You wouldnt be able to take the family though :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT