• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dive line buoy with reel

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

7BDiver

Sep 5, 2019
I haven't seen anyone use a buoy with a reel for the dive line and thought it could be very convenient for diving around the lake, so I made one. It won't pack away in a bag for flying but easy for local diving. The main purpose of this equipment is to keep track of divers in low visibility water by providing a reference point or line to attach to.

Things I like about it so far:
  • Effortless to pull around in the water, don't even notice the slightest amount of drag
  • Sets the line at depth or finds depth very quickly
  • Ratchets or freely drops line
  • Easily holds 100ft 3/8 line
  • $200 to make
  • Can rest fins and other equipment across floats or clipped to structure
  • ~20 lbs to pack around
  • Anchors to the bottom well and doesn't drift around in the wind much with light weight
  • Very fast and easy for relocating dive spots along the shoreline
  • Doesn't need to be inflated and can be disassembled easily
  • Ready to go as soon as I pull it out of the truck
Cons:
  • Bulky and odd shaped
  • Won't fit in a backpack
  • Needs gear ratio or longer lever arm for anything greater that 10 lbs weight
  • Design needs lots of refinement
    Buoy Proto.jpg

Reactions: Mr. X
I can remember seeing someone on this site a couple of years ago who made a Spearfishing board out of a( wake board, spearo board, small surf board cannot remember which one it was) but they had bolted a reel to the underside of the board, probably a bit more drag with it in comparison to your design though.

Float looks cool.

I think I saw a commercial product, spearfishing float, that included a reel for the float line a few years ago - but perhaps I'm thinking of the float mentioned by Brochman?

Omer, I think, sold catamaran floats for spearos a few years ago. I think their model came with 2 sets of floats: one set inflatable and the other set solid - so you could choose which to use.

"Ain't nothin' new under the moon and the sun" :)

Reactions: 7BDiver
That's the one with the reel but not the catamaran float. I'll see if I can find it...

Here it is. It includes a reel too. Sounds like you were on same wavelength as Omer's designer. Pity it is no longer available, it is a clever, innovative design:

Attachments

• omer-sporasub-overcraft-top.jpg
    omer-sporasub-overcraft-top.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT