• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dive mask and mustache

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

polo

Jun 11, 2004
I usually swim with googles in a pool witch is 3.8m max deep. So i can dive and reach the bottom easily. But i'm now at the see for the holidays, and i discovered that i cannot dive deeper than about 10m, because there is no way to equalize the pressure into the googles, and the feeling of my eyes being sucked is very unpleasant.
I decided to buy a dive mask, but the vendor tell me there will be a problem, because i wear a barb and a mustache, and the water will find a way to come in the mask.
Did somebody encounter the same problem, and how can i solve it (without cutting the mustache, if possible).

Thank's (and sorry about my english).

Hi I have a full beard, trim a small amount of hair under your nose..... no leaks
YakDiver

Hi polo, welcome to DB. Masks and mustaches are petty variable, some leak, some don't. I had a stash for years and never had a leak problem using masks with a wide flange. My present mask, a falco, leaks like a sieve with much more than two days stubble. I spearfish with a sea vision and it never gives me any leak problem.. Some guys use a sticky wax to seal the hair, works for some but not all. One of the best solutions seems to be finding a mask with a narrow flange that seals close under the nose. As YakDiver suggested, just keep that area shaved.

Good luck finding the right equipment.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT