• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

dive rite- halcyon BC comparison

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

will_tekkie

Nov 24, 2002
Hi Dear friends...Christmas is coming...and i´ve been thinking to buy a new halcyon pioneer wing to be used rigging singles....Have you had both ( dive rite recwings and Halcyon Pioneer) in order to have a first hand objetive comparison between both?. I usually dive with a rec wings/backplate combination and it´s ok....I´ve been hearing a lot about pioneer wings but i´ve never had one. The most "DIR" divers appears most like halcyon´s marketing staff...so i´ll be grateful on objetive opinions ( pioneer isn´t too cheap considering it´s single tank BC)...

thanks...

Dive rite vs. halcyon

;) Regarding your questions about comparing the two wings.

Almost all the Dive Rite wings( except for the two smallest two) are designed for use with double tanks.

The Halcyon Pioneer is designed for single tank use. It has a slender design that wraps arounds the tank and gives it a streamline look.

If you are going to be diving singles from aluminum to a heavy steel I would go with the Halcyon. Check out their website. The 18 lbs wing is ideal for tropical diving. The 24 lb. wing should handle a single large cylinder and a wet suit and weights.

The 36 lb. wing would be for someone who requires a lot of weight.

The 24 works fine for me with a 100 cu. ft. high pressure steel tank and about 14 lbs of weight with a 6 mil suit.

Halcyon and Dive Rite both make fine wings for double tanks. However, it's hard to mix the wings and get the best results.

Hope this helps.

Jim Baldwin
jbaldwin@cox-internet.com

A buddy of mine bought a pioneer 36# wing and regrets it. In his opinion it's construction is too light and he's concerned about how well it will stand up over time. Instead of having a heavy cordura cover over the air cell, like your rec wing, on the pioneer the cover sort of is the air cell.

He's a good diver and doesn't swim around bumping into things, but he still wishes he'd bought something more durable.

I'm not sure what kind of diving you're into or what's important in your selection, but have a good look at the pioneer, compare it to the other options out there and see what you think.

sponge bob

I have a 27# wing that I use for single tank diving. It has held up well on both warm water trips and teaching entry level wreck diving classes in the Great Lakes. It is a bladderless design just like the Scubapro Stab jacket. The stab jacket was one of the most bullet-proof rental BC's that ever came out. Just because it doesn't have an outer bag doesn't mean that its flimsy.
I use Diverite wings on my doubles because they are cheaper. For single tanks I really like the design of the Pioneer. I just wish the 18# wing had the exact same design as the 27# wing.

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT