• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Dive trip buddy etiquette

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jago25_98

Feb 20, 2009
Hello everyone. This is going to be a bit sad. I'm sorry about that but I can't see any way around it.

I love diving. I haven't been able to have a sense of freedom in diving in years. In fact, I've only managed to properly by paying an instructor. It's very expensive and it... well, I just feel I'm missing out on a big part of diving here and it just kills me. I can't seem to find a dive buddy. There's this sensitive social interaction that goes on in first meeting people this way and I just muck something up every time. I just don't know what to do.

The first problem is finding someone who's going to be where you're going. However, most probably there's a local club at your destination. Everyone there is very cliquey. They meet at the pool a lot but how often do they actually dive? Personally, I'm rubbish in group social situations and I usually just connect to one person. That's very difficult for me.

The other thing can be that people are judging you and that's very difficult. Some will look down on your qualification. This of course though, is unspoken. So it takes many years to realise that you need to get the other 4 qualifications that cover much the same thing.

They say never dive alone but how exactly is this possible? How exactly do you achieve that? If anyone can relate please share. I'm off to Taiwan over Christmas. What can I say, I don't think I'm a d!ck.

I can relate. It's hard to find pool buddies in my area. I like pool practice and the challege. Over the years I have found many buddies but after a few sessions they seem to lose interest. I can understand - the pool is far away from them and it becomes a hassle. And I think they are really interested in the actual real diving and not so much the practice. Also, my age may be a factor, 64. Most guys are younger and I think maybe they don't want to hang out with an old geezer :)

Yeah, that's part of the problem. I am happy to try spearfishing or freedive so long as not pushing it hard. I even just like snorkle around exploring or even just to be in the water. I even like to go in low visibility than not go at all. If I can just get to 15m that enough for me to start to enjoy the feeling of depth.

It seems to other people care a lot more about who they're diving with. I get the impression that they're into it but just not committed. And those that are serious already have their place to train.

Campbell, I'd be happy to dive with you!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT