• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DiveLog in MS Access 2000

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jvoets

Sep 4, 2001
As a learning project, I'm currently working on an MS Access 2000 database that will import CSV files from the Suunto Dive Manager software (you know, the stinger, mosquito etc...).

Goal of this application will be for me to learn the ins & outs of Access 2000 and to have some nice statistical overviews that are not available in the Suunto software itself, like nr of dives per month. Or distribution of depths of freedives.

Anyone interested in this database? :)
Or any good ideas for reports ?

I already made it

Hi

I've made such at tool already. It reads the CSV files, and creates a new CSV with extended statistics. eg. total apnea time of the day, "vertical distance" and so on.

Perhaps you should take a look at my project website.

http://hfk.dk/logbook

Contact me if you need the VB6 source for parsing the Suunto CSV's

Br
Jesper Juul Pedersen
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi Jesper,

looks good. I'm certainly interested in your software.
There are so many new divelogs around, all of them with their good & bad things. The scubanet logbook that was in the Deeper Blue mailing also looks very impressive.

Not finished at all yet. But a workable version of my homegrown database can be found here .

It's presuming you stored everything in metric units and that every dive contains a site / location field.

Updated software

I have now completed my HTML based logbook tool. The tool can now be downloaded from this website:

http://hfk.dk/logbook

Please take a look at it. I will enjoy to receive feedback about the project.

Best regards
Jesper

Hi Jesper

I just installed and ran your logbook software. Works fine.
I have some remarks though.
1) my scuba profiles appear in the freedive series too
2) looks like you have hardcoded the depth range to 0-25 meters
and the time range 0-3500 (in tenths of seconds?)
my dives are a lot shallower and less long so the lines in the graphs are very much attracted to x-axis

what did you write the software in? is it C?

Hi Jvoets

-
UPDATE: A new version that ignores SCUBA dives can now be downloaded from www.hfk.dk/logbook
-

I am now working on functionality to ignore the SCUBA dives, and I think I have found a solution. But since I have not used my Mosquito for SCUBA at all, I am not able to test this function.

Could I please ask you to email your 4 .csv files that contain both SCUBA and FREE dive data to jesper@hfk.dk

Then I am able to test if the "ignore scuba" function works on real data.

The ranges that is used for drawing the graphics, is your deepest and longest dives. Since your SCUBA dives is very long (and deep), these ranges does not work well on your data. That is what messes up the x-axis (and y-axis).

The program is coded in Visual Basic 6.

Br.
Jesper

Last edited:
Hi Jesper

to distinguish between free- and scuba dives, you can use the 5th field in the exported CSV file (the main one, without the $ in the name).
If this field contains the value -1 it is a freedive, otherwise it is the incremented scuba dive nr.

Another nice option would be to have the maximum depth & time in each graph set according to the maximums found in that particular series, instead of the maximum of all dives

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT