• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

diver attacks great white...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
escape panels.

Installing the escape panels involves the cutting of the web in an area adjacent to the shark, and herding the thing out; they're not a "door" manufactured into the net, so to speak.

There is an excellent documentary on tuna wrangling on the Discovery Channel, featuring these guys out of Port Lincoln, known primarily before as a whaling station and the scene of an excellent book entitled Blue Meridian- Search for the Great White Shark, by Peter Mathiessen (sp). It's a real good read and like me, unashamedly old school.

As part of the danger of this type of work, I don't consider the guy an idiot anymore than I do some schmuck going out after pig with a .357 and confronting a moose and deciding, "what the Hell.?" You jumps, you takes your chances...

Having seen these things this big both on deck and below the water from the other side of the hull, I'd still be crapping my Picasso to stand next to it regardless of it being dead or shot up.

That's one helluva-beast.

It wouldn't have been that hard to kill, really....I mean, I would've peed so much that the shark would've been asphixiated.

All kidding aside, It's a crime that a net full of tuna took precedence over a awesome specimen such as the GW.

Now, before I pass any judgement on some guy who's got the wedding tackle to tango with a pissed off Carcharadon Megaladon (just exaggerating...kind of), I've got to ask a question that might sound like a ditzy-wife question.

I'm not a spearfisher so pardon the inquiry....what's a powerhead?

Will try to learn some lingo. The story caught my attention. That's a big muthu-F'in fishy in that photo.

As far as what I do understand, it's definitely the guys who decided to shoot it a couple of times to try and kill it that are initially the head idiots. The guy who got the glory, who lassoed the monster...eh...half balls-2-D-wall/half idiot.

OK, now, the feller who "distracted" that swimming apocalypse, I can imagine him 2 ways.

1. An idiot who's luck defies every hair-brained scheme he's learned from Tex Avery cartoons that should've killed him by now.

2. A severely bad-ass S.O.B. who, when he's not shaving his nards with an axe or juggling scorpion fish and electric rays after a two-day peyote trip, he's trying to find that fleeting emotion he used to know as "fear".

This happened about 12-18 months ago and only got a little mention on the news Jeez i thought it was forgotten about.
We have our fair share of idiots in Aus but when you have the Crocidile Hunter as team leader you can see why some people would jump in with an angry White pointer. They were never going to release the Tuna because of the commercial lose involved so the shark had to go.
Now dont jump up an down because i called the Crock hunter an idiot hes an Aussie Icon but people love to copy him.
Would have been good if the white and given the guy just a little nibble just to teach him a lesson

Crusty

Re: escape panels.

Hi icarus pacific do you have the exact name of the docu.. about tuna wrangling, so I can look if they also have it on discovery europe????? I will also look into the book...

thanx

sinkweight said:
I'm not a spearfisher so pardon the inquiry....what's a powerhead?
It's a spearhead with something powerful at the end. :)
Such as some ammo cartridge that fires on impact.

Kinda sad really but if it was injured severely and there was no other choice in the matter I say fair play to them two for gettin in there, I don't see myself doing the same though.

I hope they ate it or as much as they could.
I would Imagine that GWS is pretty tasty , kind of like those porbeagles they are tasty too.
Tuna Cowboys is the name of the Docu.

crusty said:
Now dont jump up an down because i called the Crock hunter an idiot hes an Aussie Icon but people love to copy him.
Crusty
No worries... I agree.
Should be :ban
Cheers,
Erik Y.

sinkweight said:
That's one helluva-beast.
All kidding aside, It's a crime that a net full of tuna took precedence over a awesome specimen such as the GW.

I agree, when are people going to realize that there is only a handful of specimens like that left in the world and the days of "safari heroics" are over...Just to have seen that guy in action in the tuna pen would have been worth living for. I think killing it without making a serious attempt to free it first is as as tacky and ugly as the smell standing next to the dead bloated carcass afterwards. That GW was only doing what came natural...

That guy also gets the :rcard from me.

Mark

where's the crime?

Yeah, but hang on a second and think this one out.

This is what happens when we as a human race end up at the top of the food chain and are driven by reasons both financial and necessary, that being the need to harvast food.

I wonder if the roles were reversed, and I know this is a stretch...would the shark be crying foul when it's brethren just take the usual exploratory bite of a surfer/swimmer/diver and then leave it to die when it finds the taste unpalatable? Waste not, want not?

Until there's a better, read that cheaper, way to harvast these tuna and get them to the people that want them, losses will be had. In this instance it was a White, but I don't hear a lot of chest beating over the makos and oceanic white tips that are the random by catch/losses.

I suspect that we are making a big deal over an animal such as the otter here that was at one time on it's way to the extinct file and with interventions both good and misguided are now to the point where we fishermen are the ones walking on eggshells for fear of disturbing them.

We should be giving ourselves the :ycard

Uh, anyone got a copy of the CITES listing that says the GWS is endangered? My copy doesn't and, yes, I do have one so that I can stay out of trouble when in Africa. You certainly couldn't prove it by the Calif FWS and the researchers at either UCSD or CSUMB. Our burgeoning sea lion and elephant seal populations are doing their best to provide plenty of feed for ol' jaws, bless'em. So maybe the net wasn't designed so swift. Was that the diver's fault? Did he shoot the thing in the first place? Not according to the story. Heroism isn't in the going after medals, it's doing a job that has to be done whether someone else likes it or not.

Reactions: freediver7
This story happened several months ago and while I just saw it today I think it’s not that incident we’re taking issues with but the ethics and principle of doing something like that instead. I try to stay out of issues that revolve around morals because they usually follow with a host of other consequences like emotions and personal biases and just like trying to argue politics, abortion, or, capital punishment, our strong innate beliefs inevitably get in the way and can cloud our impartiality.

I like Deeperblue and I feel the people here are fair, diverse and open minded and since it seems like most everyone respects the others opinions maybe this isn’t as perilous as it could be on another forum. It’s February and if you’re like me and you make a living selling spearfishing equipment there’s plenty of time to spend it philosophizing…

Sven I think you make good points and I don’t know which is the lesser of two evils here, a crazed lunatic jumping in with a belt full of power-heads and a spear after the great white caught in a tuna pen in the picture or a longliner finning oceanic white tips and makos and throwing the live carcasses back overboard, or even worse a purse seiner that casually uses spotter planes to round up schools of tuna and surround the school with a huge net. My point is that they’re all disrespecting the hand that feeds them. This guys stunt ties into a ton of other issues altogether.

Tuna aquaculture is a healthy practice and it’s probably the way of the future as far as eating seafood is concerned. Shrimp, trout, tilapia, muscles, clams…soon tunas won’t be caught in “Dolphin Safe” purse seines anymore but raised in farms like cattle. I and a few other people on the East Coast have been lobbying for spearfisherman rights at NMFS meetings to permit us to legally part-take in the pursuit of a few of these fish. The problem is not us and how much we can take and effect the fishery that’s been impeding us so far, it’s that there’s not enough tunas on the East Coast to go around. While ICAT (intern. Commission of Atlantic tunas) lobbies for no reductions in take for the commercial fishing orgs from both sides of the Atlantic that support it, the NMFS (national marine fisheries serv) tries to maintain a balance for everyone, commercials and recreationals in the US, by issuing quotas, seasons and size limits. Well, I just read an article in a magazine today that BFT’s are at historically low levels and several scientists forecast the possibility of the species becoming extinct if measures by the NMFS and ICAT aren’t taken to change the trend. The problem is bigger than that even, as everyone knows BFT are a HMS species and the fish we save over here get slaughtered in the Med or off Europe a few months later when they cross the Atlantic seasonally. The good thing about Highly Migratory fish is that you can’t wipe them out that easily but then again when you put the pressure, collected specific pressure, fishing fleets from all over the world (recreational fisherman too) put on these fish then you can indeed wipe them out.

When the giant tunas are being wiped out, especially the big fat ones a behemoth like the great white caught in the pen was trying to eat to survive, then its only option is to try to find food where it can. It’s basically not a buffet anymore where you stand in line waiting for your turn, as it probably was at one point in the great whites evolution for thousands of years, its slim pickings and you must even resort to robbery. We have to keep in mind here who is causing who to rob and resort to breaking and entering. Sharks as we all know just look for an easy meal.

What some humans forget sometimes is that for sharks this is the only way to survive and even though this is their environment we’re trespassing in to begin with, we’re the ones displacing them and killing them for trespassing.

If this shark had caused a scene like jaws and tried to jump in the boat and eat involved parties it would be one thing, but blowing an amazing specimen like that away for doing what comes natural to it when it wasn’t in self defense is a cowardly act. Some might say it was a brave act to jump into the pen with a pissed off great white in such a confined space for the benefit of the tuna harvest, but we might as well call bank robbers brave people too since what they do is also dangerous and they’re giving the money back to those who need it (self profit like tuna farming).

My point is this friends, it is not our duty or God given right to go into the ocean and kill fish. “You’re no longer protecting people by killing sharks and saving people against the dangerous sea creatures” as I heard Terry Maas tell someone once after he showed Terry pictures of a carnage of fish he’d shot. While we are at it, fishing, shooting, netting, they’re also playing a game called survival. I think it’s simply a privilege to be able to go into the ocean have fun and kill a fish to eat afforded to us by the richness and beauty of the sea and it is our duty to respect her in return. We should never take it for granted.

Well, thanks for listening anyway…

ps Sven- I also pondered the analogy you gave of the role reversal scenario with the sharks for a little while. If sharks were walking on land and killing people that we're in the way my answer is yes :hmm

Reactions: Freediver81
I dont think theres a moral issue here at all. The animal was injured regardless of the powerheads shot to his melon. This Brave(idiot) of a man decided to end its suffering...

Mark Laboccetta said:
Tuna aquaculture is a healthy practice and it’s probably the way of the future as far as eating seafood is concerned.

I think that this is a dangerous and somewhat misinformed viewpoint.

I state this because no tuna farm uses captive spawned tuna, the tuna are caught as juveniles and transported to the grow out areas.
In this way large amounts of juvenile fish are taken out of the ecosystem before they have had a chance to spawn.
This has led to the farcical situation as in the Mediterranean where huge quantities of juvenile fish are caught and not logged as being landed.
instead they are reclassified as being "Farmed" and are not subjected to the same quota system as "fished" tuna.
Secondly what do you feed tuna? As far as I am aware the tuna have to be fed frozen fish such as Sardines or Pilchards (in order for the oil content in the fish to be correct)which come from where?
answer commercial fisheries which catch huge amounts of these fish specifically for this type of grow-out operation.
AFAIAC the only future for aquaculture to promote itself responsibly is to grow species such as milkfish or other herbivorous fish that do not need additional inputs to grow.
any other way of looking at it is merely disguising the fact that aquaculture is not the universal Panacea that it attempts to promote itself as.
sorry for the longwinded post but I have strong feelings on this subject.
:p

Reactions: DeepThought
any other way of looking at it is merely disguising the fact that aquaculture is not the universal Panacea that it attempts to promote itself as.

Hi Huan Tan,

That's interesting. Thanks for shedding some light on tuna farming. My gut feeling is that it's still probably has a lesser impact than Purse Seiners and Long liners. I could be wrong though since you seem more qualified than I on the subject.

As for the brave idiot trying to end the suffering of the poor injured great white we will never know what actually happened I guess :confused: It just seems strange that a 2000lb great white that's pretty apt at at attacking toothy prey like sea lions and other large game was injured and not shot at first with a shotguns (standard practice tuna farming when sharks get in there) and a "compassionate" tuna cowboy decided to put his life on the line to end it's suffering...I guess we'll never know, my point in the above email was that even if you're running a business and sharks get in the way you should try to avoid killing them whenever possible since what they are doing is natural behavior.

Mark

Yeah it's a shame that the shark was killed , but my feeling is that if they ate it , it would be OK in my books.
Shark steak is nice.
BTW Mark ,As a long time Omer fan, will omer produce the Alien ocean with normal(non mirrored lenses)?

re: Alien Ocean Mimetic. The clear lense on the new Ocean Mimetic is standard, the mirror lense is somewhat of a novelty or upgrade from the clear lens version. If you want PM me your address since you're in Ireland and I'll just get Omer to send you a 2005 catalog direct as they're much closer to you than I am.

I just hope that maybe my respect for great white sharks will lead to a bit of poetic justice one day if I'm ever in front of one and he'll somehow now I was looking out for him and decide to spare me :D

Mark Laboccetta said:
Hi Huan Tan,

That's interesting. Thanks for shedding some light on tuna farming. My gut feeling is that it's still probably has a lesser impact than Purse Seiners and Long liners. I could be wrong though since you seem more qualified than I on the subject.

As for the brave idiot trying to end the suffering of the poor injured great white we will never know what actually happened I guess :confused: It just seems strange that a 2000lb great white that's pretty apt at at attacking toothy prey like sea lions and other large game was injured and not shot at first with a shotguns (standard practice tuna farming when sharks get in there) and a "compassionate" tuna cowboy decided to put his life on the line to end it's suffering...I guess we'll never know, my point in the above email was that even if you're running a business and sharks get in the way you should try to avoid killing them whenever possible since what they are doing is natural behavior.

Mark
tuna farming has a more far reaching effect than any long liner or purse seiner. the amount of fish meal necessary to feed these captive tuna is very large, and schools of sardine and anchovy are shrinking every day.

Reactions: Ntrik
Mark Laboccetta said:
Hi Huan Tan,

like sea lions and other large game was injured and not shot at first with a shotguns (standard practice tuna farming when sharks get in there) and a "compassionate" tuna cowboy decided to put his life on the line to end it's suffering...I guess we'll never know,

Mark

Why would they use shotguns? not arguing the point of shooting the animal, but a shotgun seems to me to be a horrible choice. even with slugs their terminal performance is terrible! even a small caliber rifle with give better terminal results. anyone fell me in on the resoning behind shotguns? Curious :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT