• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diver down

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JasonWelbourne

Aug 17, 2004
I haven't been on deeperblue in years. Looking through posts, I remember many of you. New people are always present and it is to them, more than anyone else that this kind of information is important.

A very long time ago I met my first real life dive buddy, jsharbel71, right here on deeperblue. We both lived in Birmingham, and we both dove the same place. We had a lot more in common it turned out, and we soon made a weekly habit of diving together. We encouraged each other, and learned together and assisted each other in PB attempts. We helped each other through our first Sambas and LMC's.

Life came along, and soon neither one of us had time to dive any more.

We missed diving, and always spoke fondly of getting back in the water as soon as life stopped conspiring to keep us away from it.

A few months ago, my friend went diving alone because, although I wanted to go with him, I had obligations which I could not be rescheduled. It was his first dive of the season. He had a good day and dove for many hours and enjoyed himself. Then he went down to play at 20m by writing on something and blacked out during his ascent. Because he was alone, he drowned and died.

It is important to note that J had been much deeper for much longer under much more strenuous conditions. J didn't mean to die. J thought he was OK.

I will not say do not dive alone. If you are the kind of person who dives alone, it would only fall on deaf ears. Please, who ever you are, where ever you dive, no matter what your skill level is, realize this:

If you dive alone, you are gambling with your life. Please think about the people who love you, the things you haven't yet accomplished and the tragedy that you would inflict on those around you by accidentally dying. Please realize that if you dive alone, in water of any depth, you are gambling with your life. Some of us are lucky, and some of us aren't.

No one, NOT EVEN YOU, is lucky all the time.

Reactions: apneaboy
Retrospectively, reading this thread he started is shivering :
http://forums.deeperblue.com/general-freediving/80595-hypothermia-question.html

As I have said I do not want to end up a statistic. (jsharbel71)http://forums.deeperblue.com/members/jsharbel71.html

My condoleances.

I realize that I did myself some dangerous stuff before joining a club : doing dynamic in a public pool only watched superficially by a friend that has no knowledge, snorkeling at 15 m alone, …

The fact that an experienced freediver can die with a 20 m dive speaks for itself.

Freediving is like Climbing. Would you climb a 10 m rock without a buddy and and solid rope ? No way. Freediving is the same.

Thank you for sharing this, it must have been difficult.

If this thread saves at least one person by making them think your friend will have helped in a small way.

My condolences.

This is really extremely sad, disappointing, and actually embarrassing - I mean because of our previous discussion that Ploum linked above. I hoped to have persuaded J. that doing statics in depth is definitely a bad idea, but reading the report that he died when he went to 20m to "write on something" means he did exactly that what he was warned of (and it is little important if he dove already deeper or longer). I also hoped to have persuaded him that doing that without a buddy is completely suicidal. I am sorry I failed.

My condolences to his family and friends! R.I.P.

This story is sad and way too common. Maybe you sharing it will help someone else be a safer diver.

Thank you for sharing your story Jason, my condolences go out to yourself and to J's family. You hear of the statistics of diving-related deaths but when it's actually someone who's a DB member it makes it all the more closer to home and really hits you.

On Monday we lost a spearfisherman here in Australia in Queensland to what looks like SWB, a young lad from NSW on a spearing charter on the Great Barrier Reef. He was only 20. And a few weeks ago a spearo died in Sydney. People think that it can't happen to them, well let me tell you it is - there's too many stories like this popping up every day.

Please please please everyone dive with a competent buddy, and be a competent buddy for your mate.

Ben

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss Jason.

thank you for sharing your story and for reminding us all of how important buddies really are.

kp

Jason sorry to hear about this loss to our community. As Benny said its always hard but harder
when he was known through db. Condolonces to his friends and family.
Itd
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
heartfelt condolences to all close to our lost friend

Just a few more reasons that somebody needs to get a SWB vest together. Someone mentioned climbing and using a rope, we as freedivers don't have a rope, it's time. This doesn't mean that diving alone is a good thing to do but we have all done it at some point and it would be nice to have a safety net of sorts.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I am so sorry. You and he can rest assured that your message is not lost on everyone. I am a young freediver myself and because of things like this, i know that i will never take the risk.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT