• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

diver`s personality...help needed...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

michal

Feb 7, 2005
Hallo!
I`m writing my master`s thesis of Psychology about divers`personallity (exactly anxiety) and temperament. I`m using Cattel 16PF Personality Test
and Zuckermann Sensation Seeking Scale.

I`m looking for any infos about this question and i`m loking for somebody who could help me in getting these publications.

Please, help me.

Bachrach AJ and Egstrom GH. Stress and Performance in Diving. San Pedro, California, Best Publishing, 1987, p1

Bove AA. Medical Examination of Sport Scuba Divers, 3rd edition. San Antonio, Texas, Medical Seminars, 1998, p.20-25

Elliott DH and Bennett PB. Underwater accidents. In: Bennett PB and Elliott DH (Eds.) The Physiology and Medicine of Diving, 4th Edition. London, WB Saunders, 1993, p 238-252

Karpman M. The Effects of relaxation and Cognitive Rehearsal on the Anxiety Levels and Performance of Scuba Divers. Int. J sport Psych.1985; 16:113-119

Guedlines for recreational scuba diver`s phisycal examination, recreational scuba trening council, Inc., 1998 and 2001

Hunt Jc. Divers` Accounts of normal risk. Symbolic interaction 1995; 18(4): 439-462.

Ingle J. Diver safety is linked with repetition training.NDC Bulletin of British Sub-aqua Club 2000.

Morgan WP. Anxiety and panic in recerational scuba divers. Int J sports Med. 1995; 20: 398-421

Morgan WP. Psycholigical characteristics of the Female Diver. In: Fife Wp (ed.) Women in Diving. Bethesda, MD: Undersea Medical Society, 1987, p. 45-54

Nevo B and Breitstein S. Psychological and Behavioral aspects of diving. Flagstaff, Arizona, Best Publishing Co, 1999

United States Department of Commerce. NOAA Diving Manual: Diving for sience and technology. 4th Edition. Joiner JT (Ed. Flagstaff, Arizona, Best Publishing Co, 2001, Ch.21 p.1-4

Best Regards,
Michal Kulakowski

hi there
Amazon is always a good start....

Stress and Performance in Diving
The Physiology and Medicine of Diving
Women in Diving
Psychological and Behavioral aspects of diving
NOAA Diving Manual: Diving for science and technology

available on amazon
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0941332063/qid%3D1107935846/202-0666167-5333430"]Stress and Performance in Diving: Amazon.co.uk: Arthur J Bachrach, Glen H. Egstrom: Books[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0702025712/qid=1107936147/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_9_1/202-0666167-5333430"]Bennett and Elliotts' Physiology and Medicine of Diving: Amazon.co.uk: Alf Brubakk, Tom S. Neuman MD FACP FACPM: Books[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/9994213148/qid=1107936217/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_0_4/202-0666167-5333430"]Women in Diving: Amazon.co.uk: Books[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/094133273X/qid=1107936291/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_16_1/202-0666167-5333430"]Psychological and Behavioural Aspects of Diving: Amazon.co.uk: Baruch Nevo, Stephen Breitstein: Books[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0941332705/qid=1107936387/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/202-0666167-5333430"]Noaa Diving Manual: Diving for Science and Technology: Amazon.co.uk: James T. Joiner: Books[/ame]

Whoever gave you your required reading list...your lecturer? He/she should buy themselves a dictionary ;) - their spelling is atrocious! :)
Contact BSAC UK for their publications. BSAC

The International Journal of Sports Medicine has a link here

Also try the online British library here

Good luck on your thesis.

Last edited:
This could be the shortest Thesis on record....

2 words .....

We're nuts!

rofl rofl rofl

or 5 words...we`re really crazy nuts:) by the way but we are (of course in research) responsible much more than others
Bye!:)

bdurrett said:
This could be the shortest Thesis on record....

2 words .....

We're nuts!

rofl rofl rofl

I believe all those can be found at the Smithsonian Institute, perhaps you may contact someone there and see about obtaining a copy.
Also you might want to contact Dan (divers alert network) they have done countless research on diver related diseases,injurys and other medical issues related to diving. They are very helpful and you may even get a job with them after graduation. Good luck in you quest! Sam Dollins www.reefsavers.org

hi
well seriously speaking ,behind the mask , let take it step by step
- sea - water : symbolize mother (like a baby in the belly of her mother) so divers usually addor their mothers
- dry suits :(distance ) divers usually dont show their real fillings easy even if they are a litle bit loonies , but because of diving and the feeling that you are responsible for its other underwater , they are easy in making relations and this sometimes affects and sex life
- budy diver: they use to trust few people . they learn to trust their own power
- when the time need it , they take with them only what is needed , they learn this from diving convinience
- they use to know what they want
- usually they are not emotionally connected with money , they use to get passioned on other things , maybe this comes out of the pleasure they collect from diving and the the adrenaline they store in bad situations ( if any)

this way you can find more :))))

Sander said:
Sounds like a horoscope rofl

actually not , it really sounds like smbdy (me ) is trying to look behind the mask and finally find out , that behid the mask there is a snorkel
hehehehe

:) And what about tropical divers (like me). I do not wear a drysuit and actually don't adore my mother :)

Technology obsessed nature freaks! (Gemini?)...Or more Pisces/Aquarius :) hahaha

I don't know, I don't have the first clue about astrology. Don't believe in it either... rofl
As far as the subject diver personality is concerned, most of the divers I know are thrill-seeking, high risk personalities. That means they like diving, but also driving fast, surfing, skydiving smoking and drinking etc etc. You get my point. I don't smoke by the way.
However, when I read the threads on this website, most people here take diving seriously (as do my friends, don't get me wrong) and they decline from smoking and drinking, some of them even following specilas diets.
The point is, I don't know if there's such a thing as a Diver Personality... What does everybody else think?
I was just kidding with the astrology though, because one of the previous post sounded like a horoscope.

Ayo

Sander

Diving is about control, self control, control of equipment, control of your movements, its control pure and simple. The interesting thing is its not about control of others, its all between your ears.

Regards

Bobco

allright sander dont get so serious , i dont beleive to astrology either but , i do beleive in beautifull womens with bikini and strings on the beach getting tunned by the sun on top of white sand and near to bright blue waters , any way , bobco is getting it right ... (but in psychology everything has its own symbol -just like sea and mother in pregnancy-)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT