• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

divers left behind

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I haven't seen Open Water because I don't feel like being manipulated by the movie maker in this particular subject area. That is the objective of these movies, just like media hype, sensationalism, or much of the media in general. This is no more valid in real life than Jaws. Yes, it happens but you probably have a better chance of winning a lottery, so go buy a ticket and think about that instead. If you win, buy a big boat and take me diving!

Many scuba divers have been left behind. Some have died. In one case, the guy survived (after a 36 hour+ ordeal of delirium). When he finally got picked up by some fishing boat, he got back to shore and went straight to the scuba shop to see the shop owner who was also the tour/boat captain.

THE SHOP OWNER ACCUSED HIM OF BEING LATE IN RETURNING HIS EQUIPMENT.

HE PUNCHED OUT THE SHOP OWNER RIGHT THERE!

efattah said:
Many scuba divers have been left behind. Some have died. In one case, the guy survived (after a 36 hour+ ordeal of delirium). When he finally got picked up by some fishing boat, he got back to shore and went straight to the scuba shop to see the shop owner who was also the tour/boat captain.

THE SHOP OWNER ACCUSED HIM OF BEING LATE IN RETURNING HIS EQUIPMENT.

HE PUNCHED OUT THE SHOP OWNER RIGHT THERE!

Hi Eric!

If it wasn't a real story I would have laughed! Where did this happen? what happened to the dive club after the ordeal was published?

Said

Reactions: Alison
Divers do get left behind.
I did a stint as an instructor in the north of Western Australia, the shop was doing Whale Shark Tours with 10 snorklers on Board. After doing a 20 min swim with a whale shark one of Boats did a head count and had 11 in stead of ten. After a bit of confusion the extra snorkler said she has been on another boat with that whale shark but the boat had left without here so she figured if she stayed with the shark another boat would put their customers on the shark and she would be O.K. This took alot of balls because she was about 1km of shore in 20meters of water with Tiger sharks nown to be in the area. The operaters kept it quiet and all was forgotten.
There has also been times when customers had been dropped on big Tiger sharks because they look the same as whale sharks to the spotter planes, only to have the leading dive master shit themselves when they got close enough to see what it was.
The amount of stuff ups i saw in the industry was unbelivable, divers almost drowning , Advanced divers from Japan that coundnt clear their mask,and had done 1 open water dive good old PADI '' Put Another Dollar In ""
Thats enough bitching Crusty

I find Erik's points interesting. There should be an entire thread devoted to dive leads and what they've encountered, because you're probably not going to find it anywhere else. It does sound like those bad situations were handled in a relatively sane way - I would take more comfort in the DM shitting himself over that than being like "whoa this is cool dude" - he probably took a safe course of action, like getting away and out ASAP. I'm not sure about the PADI slam - I know they require 4 open water dives over 2 days for the certification. If someone got around that, the certifying instructor should have been reported to PADI who I'm sure would take action with them or risk losing serious credibility. The instructor's name is on every card after all.
Thanks for the perspective.

Reactions: Alison
Troy
After working in the industry for a couple years ( although 10 years ago )
I became very cynical of PADI.
With Padi your o/water divers for your o/water ticket can be done in confined
water -a Dam of River the Advanced ticket dives can also be done confined water as long as it is deep enough etc so you get Advanced divers who have never dived in the ocean, I do not think this is a Safe diving practice.
We also have the problem of Dive shops in Queensland who cater largly to the Japanese market. The problem is if you start to fail divers the word gets out that your shop is hard to get a ticket from and they go somewhere else.
So the instructors have to pass everyone no matter how bad they are or the dive shop looses business. Then they go one holidays go to other locations
I have seen divers that carnt - clear a mask,finn proberly ,ascent using the bc inflater.clear water out of the reg the list goes on all from newly certified divers.I didnt have that problem my boss did not have to chase that market so i could fail anyone if they were not up to scratch.
Compare a Padi diver to BSAC, well you cant.
Padi is O.K for recrational divers but they are just a big machine pumping out divers and chewing up instructors. You dont want to have them on your side if something goes wrong and you may me liable they will cut you loose as soon as they can ( something i saw first hand )
Im not picking on the Japanese i also saw some good divers but they make up a big part of the Australian market.
While im naming Padi it also comes down to each dive shop and their instructors as to the quality of the divers they produce.
Crusty

Unfortunately the competition for the diving market has permitted substandard training to occur. As a professional instructor and captain for over 20 years I have seen an assortment of mishaps or near mishaps. Most can be attributed to lack of proper training or failure on the part of the diver to stay current on their skills. I have seen instructors attempt to take openwater students into cave systems and then get combative when stopped. I have seen instructor candidates need to be rescued in confined water. I have seen dive shops forging signatures on student cards because the instructor wouldn’t certify the questionable student. I have seen certification agencies look the other way because they are after a particular market share.

Nonetheless the overall system works better then any government agency. After all this is the alternative to the industry being self-policing. As a group, divers around the world need to band together to promote safe, environmentally responsible dive practices no matter which agency has certified them. This also encompasses the commercial and scientific diving communities. Lets all keep in mind there is only one world ocean and we are its’ stewards.

I think some of it has to do with diving classes being rushed. I remember when I got my open water cert, the instructor crammed 4 weeks of teaching into 2 weeks because the richer folks wanted their certification right away. I really dont feel competent with my scuba skills, which is why I mostly freedive now.

What do you do if someone doesnt pass? Do they get a partial refund, or do they get to try again?

First of all don't feel bad for taking up freediving. This puts you ahead of the curve. Your freediving skills will make you a better scuba diver. A competent scuba diver must be comfortable in the water. I always encourage my dive students to take up freediving. I find it makes them much more at ease in the water. The scuba simply becomes a tool, which is what it is.

As far as what I do if someone hasn't passed? I let them participate in another class. They may have some incidental fess. If they are willing to make the effort and follow ALL the homework (pool and bathtub practice without scuba gear) they will do fine.

My homework assignments consist of several activities designed to increase comfort and confidence in the water. The struggling student is to swim laps in a pool with mask, fins & snorkel. They are to advise the lifeguard on duty what they are doing. They are to practice breathing through a snorkel with a mask filled with water in their bathtub while in a seated position. Another bathtub exercise is to inhale through the snorkel then exhale out the nose with a constantly flooded mask. Of course I always suggest a bathtub partner which can make it more fun :cool: and safe.

The most important thing once they are certified, they need to keep diving within their skill set. We run trips all the time geared toward this.

Last edited:
I believe you have it confused with open water. Thats the best diver training video of all times. It purely shows what not to do! both the divers and the operator made mistakes and had it not been for the sharks the movie would have been just that a "what not to do when diving" video.
also to set the story straight. given the number of people in the water I would have to say the movie would of ended much sooner because the sharks would of finished the job the first time. accounts from survivors of maritime disasters clearly points out that as the sharks started feeding on the victims in the water the victim almost always disappeared as soon as the attack began and in groups of 30-50 survivors 4-5 disappeared at a time.
I give the movie a 3 from a scale 1-10 and only because the girl had nice boobies. They should of used the money on a more worthy cause like
charities or research.

bbaroni1 said:
we just watch a movie call open ocean .could a boat leave someone behind. :waterwork
its just a cheaply made bad movie and you could learn from it not to make the same mistakes.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT