• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DiveTech - Cayman Islands?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Stephan Whelan

Papa Smurf
Staff member
Admin
Jan 7, 1999
There are some rumours circulating that DiveTech, the dive centre in the Cayman Islands that has hosted many world class freedivers and seen several world records, was destroyed in the wake of Hurricane Michelle.

Anyone got any information? Let's hope no one was hurt...

Stephan,

I've recieved some emails from my Canadian Team members down there and it seems that Divetech near the Turtle Farm was gutted and the building is in risk of collapsing.

The storm also demolished the Turle Farm for which there is several thoudand turtles loose and several other dive shops, bars and homes along seven mile beach and the north west point were destroyed or severly damaged.

I don't think Divetechs other operation Cobalt Coast was effected and they'll still be able to offer the same great services, just not at the turtle farm location for a while.

I know everyone at Divetech is ok except for some minor scratches. Thoughts go out to Dan, Tara, Cali, Ken from Team Canada and to all the other staff at Divetech.

Sincerely,

Reactions: Cliff Etzel
Kirk,

Great news to hear that no-one was hurt, although it is always sad to hear about the damage caused by natural "disasters".

I know i'll speak on behalf of all the Deeper Blue crew in sending our best wishes and thoughts out to everyone out there.

It's not pretty! Most of the turtles were moved to an inland brackish pond. The main frame of the building (Divetech and Cracked Conch restaurant) is still up but I am not sure how badly damaged it is inside. I have a couple of pictures of other areas of the island - http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1779682&a=13976190&f=0 .If that dosn't work go to photopoint.com and put in the email address MoonshineBWI@Hotmail.com and check out the album STORM!

Go long and go deep!

Thanks, Mark!

Wow, what a mess! Thanks for posting those pictures. It's the first I've seen of the place despite searching the web for news specific to Cayman.

I hope that the dive shops & restaurants can recover quickly from this mess.

I've heard that one good storm can do more damage to the reef than years of clumsy diving. Has anyone had a chance to peek underwater?

Tom Lightfoot
Team Canada

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT