• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving Brisbane, NZ, and Fiji August-December, any suggestions?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

slieppman

Dec 13, 2007
Hey,

I'm embarking on a south pacific study abroad/spearfishing/surfing trip in August and would really appreciate some advice on destinations and necessary gear. I'm really open to suggestions on how and where to get some quality pelagics. I'll be studying marine biology at the University of queensland for 3 months.

Here's my itinerary

Brisbane, Australia....................................... august-november
Auckland to Christchurch, New Zealand............ end of november
Nadi, Fiji..................................................... all of december

What fish are in season during these months?
What are some good spots for pelagics near brisbane?
what kind of gear should i be bringing? bungee floatline?
weekend destinations from brisbane?
favorite islands in fiji?

I appreciate your help

-sean

(im planning on bringing my open water gun, 75 ft. float setup, camo lycra skins, the basics)

if you need a dive partner and are around during these times, im definitely down.

Last edited:
Hi there Sean,

For the NZ component suggest you get in touch with Auckland Freediving Club Auckland Freediving Club / Lazy Seals Freediving club Lazy Seals Freediving Club | New Zealand's only freediving club closer to the time.

You will need more than lycra in the water in November. You will be lucky to find 20deg C in northland and further south will be quite a bit colder.

Most people diving in 5mm suits that time of year.

Phil

Thanks for the advice phil, i'll make sure to pack a wettie. So I really want to shoot a big kingie, where would i have the best luck diving?

There are a number of options to look for kingies depending on the water temp (the blue water arrival varies year to year), time and your budget.

My pick would be White Island, Great Barrier Island, Bay of Islands. Mostly these are boat dives, charters are avaialable.

If you have the budget there are some harder to reach, potentially more productive outer reefs such as the Three Kings or Ranfurly Banks. I dont' have experience on these locations though.

There are some shore dive options however Kingies like current so either these are generally not so productive/hard work. As with anything there are exceptions, later in the season Kingies can be found mooching around in the most unlikely places.

Phil

checkout the sunshine coast 100 k north of brisbane there are some terrific dive spots loook up sunreef dive shop as there are spearfisherman i this group .See if you ca get to the gneerings off mooloolaba for some serious fish but there are shallower reefs off yaroomba which is near Coolum .cheers Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll make sure to check out that dive shop and try getting out to those spots.

Hi there mate, I'm in Brisbane, as is BennyB. (our resident record free-diver!!)

I can't vouch too much for the north, but check out this site : http://www.divingthegoldcoast.com.au/
It gives a great indication of what you can find and where.

Diving off Cook Island in Tweed (On the Border of New South Wales and Queensland, and only 1+1/4 hours south of Brisbane, I grew up there) is quite good too, and I have also heard Julian Rocks (At Byron Bay) raved about for larger species.

My fave spot for ease of finding a large variety of smaller aquatic life from the shore is in the mouth of the Tweed River too.

Attachments

• Tweed.jpg
    Tweed.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 189
  • EastCoast.jpg
    EastCoast.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 181
You're more than welcome.
I have also heard that stradbroke island has some great marine life. As well as moreton bay, which is my goal to explore this year!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT