• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving form (instant) feedback, how?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jercx

Sep 15, 2017
hi apneists,

just curious how one trains to better one's form when you can't see and don't have instant feedback on the things that you might be doing wrong. ie. how do you know if your duck dive is optimal , or how does one know if your freefall is efficient, or your finning gets you the optimal amplitude, cadence and power:strength.

aside from having buddies subjectively tell you and capture these on video for later review (non-instantaneous), how does one get feedback?

i'm concerned that if i keep repeating non-optimal form, that muscle memory (engrams) will forever be ingrained with poor form.

Peraonally I don't think that "instant feedback" is nessisarily the way to go when it comes to improving form. Yes, having a buddy film you on occasion helps bring the focus to the technical elements that you might be struggling with and what errors you are making but when it comes to working on them, you actually have to work on them.

If you think about freediving like any other sport you can taking boxing as an example. You don't show up and start fighting while your coach tells you to tuck your chin and keep your hands up. You do drills focusing just on footwork, punch mechanics, head movement, and after working on those things you bring them together to have a sparring session/ fight.

Using that logic if we look at duck dives you should dedicate time to working on duck dives, not doing CWT. I worked on duck dives by practicing them Before or after a dive session. The way to get the mechanics right is actually to make the duck dive harder that it ever will be.. to do this you can remove all of your weights, duck dive without using your arms, try slow motion duck dives... after a few session of practice like that I could do a duck dive without weights, without my arms, and after packing 1-2l extra air. If you can do that the mechanics are right.

The same thing applies to finning, once you know what your supposed to be doing with your fining take time to work on it. Use training fins and do shallow/short dives. Once the mechanics are right you can work on optimal power/frequency/amplitude. This can be achieved by doing easy (20-30m) dives with out weight, or with double weight. This forces efficient fining and you'll feel right away if the technique isn't optimal.

With free fall you can do 2 things.. while falling adjust your body to slow yourself down and to speed your self up. The fastest speed you can get is the most streamlined. The other thing you can do is find the most comfortable position. By mixing those two positions you can find something that is comfortable and relatively fast as well. That position is the most optimal and can be achieved entirely by feel.

So yes. Having someone watching and filming you (given that they have a deep understanding of the positions and mechanics) is nice and can be very helpful.. that being said the long term way to keep improving is by dedicating time to isolating and practicing each element and by adding extra resistance (too much weight, no-arms duck dives) to make each thing harder, forcing yourself to find optimal technique.

Reactions: jercx
Use an underwater video camera - Gopro or similar. Video yourself doing maneuvers for 5 or 10 minutes, stop and review the video, dive again with your new insight and make necessary adjustments... repeat.

Reactions: jercx
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT