• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving in Bermuda!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

drunkinbda

The boys are back in town
Jul 11, 2004
Hey if anyone either lives or is headed to bermuda anytime let me know!! im always lookin for more people to dive or spear with!!

I'll probably be coming over in September for a hedge fund conference, I'll definitely be in touch before I do. In the meantime, how do you make bubble rings?

Gordon

sorry its been a while since i checked this topic. Do you know what part of sept? early/late? im unsure of whether ill be at school or not but we'll see.

the bubble rings are pretty easy actually. just lie on your back with your face to the surface(hold nose if dont have a mask), and have your tongue sticking out slightly as if you are sticking it at someone. Then blow a quick burst of air and pull the tongue in a lil. It sounds complicated only because its hard to describe. Hopefully i made it understandable. Let me know how it works out, its a nifty lil trick to show your friends

Early September I think, not sure though, I'll let you know as it comes closer. I've been trying the rings for a couple of days now - using the different techniques offered by everyone (a quick search revealed a wealth of info, as usual) but have been struggling to get them to stay in tact all the way to the top. I suspect, however, that it's due to the turbulence in the pool where I swim. I'll find out later I guess.

Cheers for now.
Gordon.

Turbulence kills them, but another thing that I noticed is that the technique also seems to change with depth. I think that it has to do with the resonant frequency of your mouth (your lips and mouth form a little "helmholtz resonator"). This frequency seems to change with depth. When you get the technique just right, you get a very satisfying "thwump" sound -- similar to the sound a stone makes when it plunks into water with a minimal splash.

When you get that sound, you can tell before the bubble even floats into view that it's going to be a good one. Sometimes the bubbles are incredibly stable, and will withstand a lot of turbulance. Also, if you blow one way down (like 30 or 40 ft or so), they expand to ridiculous proportions -- you can easily swim into them and watch the ring from inside.

Earl - it was indeed MAR that I was coming for, although it looks like I won't actually make it over this year after all. Oh well, maybe next year. I think it's hilarious that this conversation has taken a year so far. :)

my goodness this post is ollllllld .. its been a while >.< well im still up for divin here, scuba or free! (freediving preferably). only know of 2 or three others db'rs livin here but hopefully this'll dig out more!

:friday

Reactions: DeepThought
Wow hate to dig up this post again after a couple months! anyways i'm experimenting with taking a long weekend to bermuda later this year. I recently got more into free diving, ive always done it but finally began actually doing some training exercises and getting more information about it as well as getting some proper free dive gear. I live in Rhode Island and bermuda is terrific because it is not a long flight to get to such a great free dive spot. I mainly pole spear but will probably be getting a gun sometime soon. Anyways being able to have a "guide" such as yourself would be a terriffic opportunity! Let me know what you think.

Thanks! -John

Hey There Drunkinbda,

I'm based here in Bermuda and love to go out spearfishing and would love to practice freediving with someone who is already doing it. I only have a tiny boat so weather has to be just right for me - are you on the water yourself? I just shot a big black grouper - 86 pounds - with my fiberglass polespear the other weekend and love to get out there as often as I can. Get in contact - look me up on facebook (Marcus Kermode).

hehe weather permitting (and my recent ankle injury), i may be seeing you on saturday anyway :p

- scott

definitely!!! hopefully ill be able to putz about freely.. but atm my achilles is strained... so its tightly wrapped up. I'd still come along.. just take pics or be very light swimming.

Havent been in the water since sept so hopefully i can still dive :p

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT