• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving in Dahab - Centres and Hotels

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MollyB

Sep 24, 2003
Hello everyone,

I have recently made the decision to (hopefully) visit Dahab in March / April 2004.

Having read loads of reviews regarding diving, I think it's the spot. What I am having trouble with though is choosing a hotel and dive centre to use.

My partner and I are relatively inexperienced divers - we started with 15 or so dives last year.

Anyhoo... can anyone recommend a hotel / dive center that is inline with these preferences:

* Dive centre supportive of our novice-ness - we need guides on all dives.
* Full kit hire.
* Ideally beachfront - we won't dive every single day.
* 3/4 star - none of this 5 star luxury required - we find it stifling. We prefer somewhere smaller with diveminded people.

Any suggestions, oh oracles of the dive world?

Many thanks,

Mol

Mol,

Welcome to the forums!

I've run a couple of trips to Dahab. It's a very chilled place that's excellent for shore based diving. I've only really dived with one place and that's Reef 2000 - run by two Brits - on the outskirts of Dahab. Their website is http://www.reef2000.org/ - Tell them I sent ya!

However bear in mind that there are a lot of different dive centres in Dahab and others may suit you better.

Hi and thanks Stephan!

I have heard quite a lot of good things about Reef2000, but I am under the impression that it is a bit of a distance out of Dahab, and even to the beach... is this true? (Or is it just the case that it is only 5 mins walk as opposed on 30 seconds?)

Cheers,

Mol

It's walkable but it's a good 20 minute walk at a minimum. Normally you can get a 2 minute taxi ride rather cheaply.

They really are on the outskirts of the town but impecible service in both the hotel and the dive centre.

My experience in Dahab was that there are many beachfront hotels that are cheap, clean, cool, and available. I didn't book anything, just showed up and asked at a few front desks. A hotel with pool, breakfast, cable, AC was 20$ a night for 2 people.
You can find cheaper if you go off the beach, but there are lots in that price range.
I dont scuba dive, but there were many dive shops right in town on the beach to choose from.
Have a nice trip,
Erik Y.

Thanks for your help!

Also can anyone advise what wetsuit I'll need in March / April in Dahab. We are only OW qualified so we won't be particularly deep.

Cheers,

Mol

Hi Mol,

you aren't allowed to go very deep in egypt anyhow. If i remember right you aren't allowed to go deeper than 30 meters. The water at that time is a bit cold and i would suggest you to wear 5 mm scuba wetsuit. If you'll be using freediving wetsuit i'd say that 3mm is plenty. Have fun there, diving in egypt is geat. Both freedive and scuba.

br.
Tuomo

Reactions: Erik
Hi

I´ve just returned from two weeks in Dahab. My 7´th visit in 12 years. What can I say? I love the place.

The rules in Egypt are very strict when it comes to diving. Due to a lot of accidents with foolhardy divers, the max depth is 30 meters and all divers must be accompanied by a certified guide (Dive Master).

I always stay in the Seven Heaven hotel. It´s cheap, clean and the staff is friendly. Plus they have one of the best dive shops in Dahab, the Divers Down Under (DDU).

A double room with bathroom and AC is 8$. A guided dive is 25$, 10 dives is 150$. My friend got a OW for 200$ and trips to Thisselgorm is 110$ incl. boat, food, drink and 3 dives.

When choosing a dive center my main concerns are equipment and safety. DDU are very focused on both so there really is not much choice.

www.7heavenhotel.com

Have a nice trip
Hopefully I´ll be back there in december for my DM.

Friis

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT