• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving In (Puerto Vallarta)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Todd Gray

Dec 3, 2016
Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I've been level one certified (FII) for awhile now. Despite living in Puerto Vallarta where the water is warm and wonderful, I don't seem to get in the water near as much as I'd like to... Now why is that? Oh yea, it seems that most of the freedivers in Mexico are in Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Tulum.

Speaking of which, just had a great "get the fish back the water" session with Julien Borde down in Playa Del Carmen. Oh, those Cenotes are incredibly beautiful. Anyway, if you're down in the PV area or planning on coming down for a visit, hit me up. And if you're in the Quintana Roo region, please connect with me so that we can drop a line the next time I visit... Love that place!

Welcome to Deeperblue! I've wanted to travel to PV for quite some time. How are the diving conditions there?

Welcome to Deeperblue! I've wanted to travel to PV for quite some time. How are the diving conditions there?
Hello BatRay,

Diving conditions around Puerto Vallarta are warmer than the Santa Cruz, California region which was just over the hill from where I grew up. However the visibility is not all that much better. This is due to the many rivers which enter the ocean and drag in a bunch of silt. We usually travel out about 20-30 minutes by boat to get to the zone where things clear up a bit.

We're still on the Pacific side of the country, so visibility is still limited and the water is a bit of a hazy greenish-blue color. It does begin to clear up a bit around this time of year (the rain stops) so I'm hoping that things become a bit more blue and it will be easier to see all the beautiful marine life available in this region. I really need to make time this season to pop out to the Marietas Islands (one hour by boat) and see whether the water is really as crystal blue as the pictures!

Just the same, I'm told that I'm not supposed to be looking at all that when I'm dropping down the line anyway ;-)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT