• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving In South Africa

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Few More Diving Spots

Hi

This is some new Places that I've tried.

Grotto Bay.
This is about 60 - 70 KM from Cape Town on the west Coast Road.
Just before Yzerfontein.

Went there this weekend. The water was really clear and the vis was +- 5-6m. Unusual on the West Coast.
Saw some huge Mullets and saw a nice big Shad but couldnt' get a shot in.

I saw some huge crayfish but since our season is closed now I couldn't take them out. The temptation was very strong... but my concience won.

Spoke to some of the local Fisherman there and the said that kob frequent in the water. There is also nice Galjoen and Breams.

Also this being the West Coast it means that the water is Cold Cold Cold so the chances of encountering a shark is very little.
That the kind of odds that I like :p

If the water is right I think this will make a great diving spot.

Cheers Reinier

Another Diving Spot

Hi

I recently started diving on a new place. It is Koëlbaai or Koggelbaai. It is about 15-20 Km from Gordons Bay and about 5 KM from Rooiels.

Directions: Take the coast road from Gordonsbay past the river mouth and past Groen Dakkies(Green Roofs) It the only camping and braaing spot on this road so you won't miss it. On your righthand side you will see Parking Areas and 2 big rocks about 15 m into the sea with a lot of Kelp around them. Stop there. If the water is nice then get into your gear and take along the ol speargun. There is a few Breams here and Jan Bruins( John Browns) and some people say there should be Kob and White Steenbras.

There is also a lot of crayfish above normal size for that side of the Coast.

There is a lot of sea life there. I saw schools of strepies and mullets. They are bait fish so there should be a few hunters for them sooner or later. I aslo saw octopus. There are a few abs but I rather leave them alone.

The water gets deeper quickly. The deepest I saw was about 15m that were about 50 m from the shore. I suppose it gets a lot deeper but I'm to much of a wuss to go and look :eek: ... Prime shark Spot that.

I was there yesterday. The water was very clean for me +-7m.

Cheers Reinier

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT