• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving kayak

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks Alison, cool looking site, lots of good info on it. I've got the banker convinced that I "need" one so I have to make a choice before she comes to her senses.

With my malibu 2 50 feet walking would be no problem. For the first couple of years I had it I walked about 200 meters and cross a busy road (run!) - then down a small bluff - to get it into the water. You can get nice little wheel-carts for one end - which changes the whole paradigm - assuming your surface is compatable with wheels. I've surfed in it and also used it as a diving platform for my kids. Fairly easy on open water with wind and waves, two kids and a couple sets of snork gear. If it were just me I'd probably still go for the width - but a shorter/lighter boat.

Hey, never thought of a wheeled cart. I'm up on a hill from the river, paved road the whole way so that would work out for me.

Rollex (?) makes good karts. You can find them at most kayak shops. They make pavement tired ones and sand tired ones. Makes life a LOT easier when transporting a yak.

If you want a two man Ocean Kayaks Zest Two I have one I'd let go.

Mark

one type of wheel thingy

The one I like better fits over one end of the kayak - while you are at the other - less pricey than this one too.

Seems like something you could make with some duct-tape and random wheel-like found objects.

Jon,
That surfski looks hot! What does it weigh? They are a bit more $$ as I recall. How is the stability compared to a Scupper Pro? I'm sure the surfski is faster.
Mark

Not wishing to sound like a one person sales team for Cobra but they make these wheels that are all terrain types. The vertical bars fit into the drain holes (scuppers?) so theres no tieing on to do, surely someone with welding skills could make something similar from an old golf cart for pennies?

Take a look at the Wilderness Systems Tarpon kayaks, I own a 140 and love it. The well behind the seat is large; enough room for long fins, all your gear and the monster fish you will harvest! They're made in North Carolina and seem to be made with an eye toward fishing. Those Cobra's that Allison posted look sweet and Scupper Pros are used by many freedivers, but I would at least check out (in person) a WS 120 or 140.

Roan, those WS 140s do look sweet. I was just checking one out at my local EMS store a week ago. If you have paddled a Scupper Pro I'd like your review and comparison between the two, please.
Mark

Mark,
It was about a year between when I've paddled a Scupper and when I got my WS 140, so I'm not sure I'm the best person to performance compare the two. You can't go wrong with a Scupper, but here are the reasons I chose a Wilderness Systems:

They look :cool: . More choices and better colors. I like the smooth finish of the boat rather than the texture of Ocean Kayaks, easier on the wetsuit when crawling in and out of it.

There seems to be more thought or "evolution" to the features of the boat: I like the seat back that comes on the boat, it allows you to just stick a gel pad on the bottom and dispense with the whole black canvas seat extra. They've made the inside floor of the 140 (not the 120) flat so you can (with a little practice) stand up in it! I don't like a large sealed hatch behind me, I like the large open one on the WS's.

The only complaint I have (with all kayaks) is that for some reason they seem to paddle easier and faster on the way out to the diving spot than on the way back!:duh

Last edited:
This is a great thread!, Funny how you think about something and then it appears on a board!
I have been researching kayaks for a while now and although 90% of the time OC Scupper ProTW comes up , I have my doubts as to what would be good for me.
I weigh ~95kg and with a 20lb baudrier and gear I guess I am probably talking 115kg all in , Water can be rough here and I plan on getting a lot of scallops this winter,
maybe something bigger might be better?
sorry for hijacking this thread.

Huan

wheeled thing

Hey guys, I don't have a kayak but a friend of mine built this beautiful wheeled wagon for his kayak. It's a work of art if you ask me. Thought you'd get some ideas if you are thinking of building a home made one. This one's made of laminated strips of wood, rubber pads, some high tech kevlar/carbon weave, and a pair of wheels. Sorry I can't remember any more details since it's been a while since he built it. He's pretty proud of this thing.

See ya..

Gil

That's too beautiful to use... :(

I've bought some wheels & assorted pieces from Home Depot & trying to assemble a foldable one that I can toss in the hatch once at the site. ;)

For around here you have to buy or build one with large balloon tires, because you often have to tow your ride from your car across beach sand.

Roan, I had a chance to check out a 140 last night. That is a sweet kayak! Haven't had a chance to see the scupper yet but I'm going to call around today. I have some old cart wheels from something that I should be able to rig up to haul with.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/

http://WWW.oceankayak.com

Check out the specs while you are at it. I think OK are lighter and longer, which might translate to a little faster. My sense is that they have a little less freeboard, too. I think you can get a rudder with both OK and WS in the models discussed. You may want to paddle both before you decide. Shopping for this stuff can be pretty fun. :)
Mark

PS: The Scupper Pro TW has the open hatch in the back as well, and the Angler series (Prowler model) has rod holders, too. The Tarpon 160 would be closer to the same length as the Scupper Pro. You can't go wrong with either OK or WS. Let us know what you get.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT