• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving New Zealand

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cheese

a dairy product
Nov 1, 2002
I may spend some time in New Zealand in the future, and would very much like to hear about the diving over there. About the only thing I know is that the Poor Knights Islands are supposedly pretty good.

I'd appreciate any input from folks who have done some diving over there... marine life, visibility, condition of the corals... whatever comes to mind.

And this goes for both scuba and freediving!

Cheese
Lonely Planet put out a guide "Diving in New Zealand' which is very comprehensive. It is well worth investing in a copy if you plan to spend some time down here. The Poor Knights are world class and there are plenty of charter operations running trips to them. Hope you enjoy your time in NZ.
Frank

Diving In New Zealand

I spend 3 months in NZ 2 years ago and learnt to dive there. I thoroughly recommend any diving in NZ, especially in Northland. I spent a lot of my time in a town called Paihia, on the North East coast of the North Island and used the diving services of a dive shop called Paihia Dive. The instructors and staff at the dive shop were incredibly friendly and were fantastic throughout and I had an absolutely brilliant time - so much so, after spending a few weeks away from this town, I had to go back!! We went to some fantastic sites and even got to dive on the wreck of the Rainbow Warrior. I was also lucky enough to encounter dolphins on my first dive which was a magical experience. Do everything you can to get out there and do some diving in NZ - it'll be something you'll never forget, for the very best of reasons!

I'm currently spending a 1 month holiday in NZ. Diving is good overhere. Up norht you have the rainbow warrior (book from Paihia). Little bit below that is one of the best spots: the Poor Knights. Go to Tutukaka and dive with the Dive! Tutukaka company. They're great! If you want to do more wrecks, you can go with them to the Tui and the Waikato, both very nice.

The elderman islands seem to be very good, east coast North Island from the Coromandel. Near Whakatane is White Island, an active vulcano that seems to have good diving.

On the south Island you can go to the wreck of the Lermentov. Big cruiseliner that sank 1985 or something. It's in the beginning of the Marlborough sound, 2 shops in Picton run weekly trips.

Kaikoura is great for diving with seals, we had an amazing dive last time, hope to do that again. And furthermore south in Fjordland you can dive in Milford sound and see rare black coral and brachipods. Dave from Tawaki dive is a great guy.

I hope to do shark-dive in a cage in 2 or 3 days. So there's a variety of diving in NZ.

You'll have to get used to wearing 7 mm suits though, water will be 19 degrees celsius at most

Have fun

jaap

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT