• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving off Oahu?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lisaleese

Mar 18, 2003
Hi all-

My boyfriend and I are newly certified PADI OW divers.. lookign for a good boat to dive off of in Oahu? We'd love to go with a smaller crew.. more personalized service?

Thanks!!!

Not Oahu but....

Hi Lisa,

I don't know about Oahu except that it is the island that ALL the tourists usually hit (Honolulu, Waikiki, etc.) However, if you feel like island-hopping, I can whole-heartedly recommend Big Island Divers ont he Kona Coast of Hawaii proper. Nice (new) boat, max divers is 8 with 2 DMs and a Captain, great dive shop, good choice of locations! I dived with them last year and from 10 days of 2 tank dives, we only ran across one other dive boat in the same area we were in so they do have a good option of sites to hit where it is not a cattle-call....

Big Island Divers

If you go, tell Jim and Norm that I recommended you to them. I am in Germany so there is no commercial incentive, it is just that they ARE that good!

Bret

There's a lot of great diving there on O'ahu, but you won't see any of it unfortunately because of the obscure locations or lack of commercial access. I sold my dive business there 6 years ago, so I'm not that current on who is decent or not - ---> but only go on 6-packs. If you go on boats that are certified for more than 6 divers, there's a real good chance that they're packing the boats to their certified capacities. It drove me nuts driving other operation's cattle boats - some days, it was like driving a floating zoo. Skip any shore diving this time of year - too rough to do the North Shore. Have fun.
Tom

Hi lisaleese,
bdurrett is correct! lot's of turists and the diving isn't great. The Big Island offers some of the best diving for the area. I've been diving with Kona Coast (a really good operation) but the best is Pacific Rim Divers. My wife and I take a trip with them once a year, every year. Great service (personal attention and very knowledgeable. Anyway, have fun!!!

aloha lisa,

i wanted to respond to hidiver1. he said to avoid shore diving this time of year, but i disagree. i got certified on jan 19, 2004 and have been diving every weekend since. all of our dives have been shore dives we see tons of stuff and the diving is excellent.
here are some of my pics from the last four weeks of diving
http://public.fotki.com/badass/personal/adventures_of_a_lifetime/scuba_diving/

and here is a buddy of mines website with his dive pictures.
http://members.roadfly.com/adb2/index.html

look at the recent pictures from this month and last month and you can see that there is some awesome shore diving. if you and your boyfriend want to go with us send me an email or you can email our instructor scuba john at JohnBirchenall@Hawaii.rr.com and let him know. anyways have fun and we will see you guys under the sea.

Hello there,

There are some great dives in Oahu, you just need to get away from the tourists ;). One of my favorite shore dives is Makaha Caverns, on the west side of the island. There were plenty sea turtles nobody around. You can get there by boat too.

Another favorite is the Corsair (a sunken WWII fighter plane) on the south side. But this one is flocked by tourists. This is a boat dive.

Here are some pix I took ...

I used Island Divers Hawaii (islanddivershawaii.com) most of the time, but they don't have their own boat.

Eddy.

Attachments

9.7 KB · Views: 217
  • turtle_dp.JPG
    turtle_dp.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 127
Ewong who were are the Corsair's at? Who did you use? I'd love to go back and do that dive. I was there over Christmas but island hooped. Loved Kona, and Maui dives we used Ed Robinson in Maui.

Brad

We have both shore dives and boat dives in Oahu year round...
Contact me and let me know what you would like to see and do and away we go.....Aloha Mark.

I was diving off Oahu June '05 and went out with Aaron's dive shop. I was a small boat ... maybe 8 at the most. We went to some spots off the North Shore that were a bit obscure, so they we undisturbed by other boats and divers ... overall great time.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT