• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving Watch

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Murat

Promethian
Jun 21, 2002
I want to buy diving watch. I want it to measure and record depth, diving time, max depth, max dive time, and temperature.

I have 100 euro to spent.

Casio marine gear seems good choice but it does not show temp. Citizens are too expensive may be other brands have such watch like quantum or something else...:confused:

I don't mind to spent that much for now.. Actually i found i place that sells Citizen dive watches to the half price but they are still more than 200 dollars.

Murat,
I started a thread about a Casio watch (didn’t have the temp gauge you wanted) for less than $100 http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=32690&highlight=Casio

A few of us bought them. Mine lasted 7 months until water got in it and fried it. I sent it to Casio U.S. with a check for $4.50, because that’s what it said on Casio’s web site. They called back a month later and said the watch was never imported to the U.S. and they didn’t have a watch to replace it with. I said, “well what about the 1 year warranty?” He said no problem he would refund me what I paid for it from the All Watch Store. I did get payment, but it took another two months. So all in all I was out of a watch for 3 months during my diving season.

All Watch Store no longer caries them. I found and purchased another new one on e-bay. What ever watch you get, keep the receipt and the warranty information, because you have a good chance of needed it. The D3 has reputation for breaking too, but at least they replaced them quickly.

If I remember right the Timex Helix samples depth every 5 seconds, the Casio every 3 seconds, and the D3, every 1 second. Five seconds isn’t going to be as accurate, because you can dive a couple of meters in that time. The D3 has the automatic top timer as well a whole bunch of other useful functions too.
don

Reactions: Murat
Thanks don;)

I already went to local casio importer and tried to buy the watch but shop owner said they have none in stock. He said that he will check türkey if they have left any. I also wanted price for pathfinder which seems the ideal one for me. He said he will remind me few days later but he didn't. I went to the shop two times but still no answer. Last time he gave me the last tuesday as dead line but still no answer. He is doing to me second time. He made me crazy, it seems i will not able to get anytihng from that shop. Some shopowners here is so stupid. Last year, after three month waiting he tried to sell me forester series watch as a dive watch. Anyway i will cancel the dive watch for some time, i am collecting money for hunting gun:cool:

Murat, seriously consider the D3.

I love mine & have not touched my citizen since I got my suunto. The PC user interface lets me play around with each dive data, sort by depth, time, length of dive... even graph any individual dive to see rate of decent, bottom time, rate of ascent. very cool.

Big, clear display makes a world of difference between this & my citizen watch as well.

One word of caution, as a spearo I have noticed that one has to be careful how they use a dive watch. Always listen to your body first. I found myself saying "this is only xx feet deep" or gauging my bottom time by the watch display & pushing myself because I know I can stay longer than that. In reality, at times I was probably having a bad day & was putting myself in danger by pushing my body too far.

I feel that I must inject my usual warning about the D3. Although it definitely has the best functions for freediving (by far), it fails often, and many people have reported malfunctioning D3's. The Stinger is almost as good, and it never fails.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Reactions: Murat
Originally posted by fuzz
Murat, seriously consider the D3.

I love mine & have not touched my citizen since I got my suunto. The PC user interface lets me play around with each dive data, sort by depth, time, length of dive... even graph any individual dive to see rate of decent, bottom time, rate of ascent. very cool.

Big, clear display makes a world of difference between this & my citizen watch as well.

One word of caution, as a spearo I have noticed that one has to be careful how they use a dive watch. Always listen to your body first. I found myself saying "this is only xx feet deep" or gauging my bottom time by the watch display & pushing myself because I know I can stay longer than that. In reality, at times I was probably having a bad day & was putting myself in danger by pushing my body too far.

Yeah fuzz you are right but i am just out of money now:waterwork upland hunh (Rabbit & Partridge) seson opened and i really try hard to get gun for myself...

BTW i read that Suunto D3 has user replaceable batteries, thats good for me coz i can not afford shiping money evertime i needs a new batteries. But i also heard that people needs 70-80 dollars for replacing the batteries. May be they sent the watch to the manufacturer for pressure test or something. This is definatelly i can not pay. Does it need these expenses or its enough to replace the battery by myself?

Originally posted by efattah
I feel that I must inject my usual warning about the D3. Although it definitely has the best functions for freediving (by far), it fails often, and many people have reported malfunctioning D3's. The Stinger is almost as good, and it never fails.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

What kind of mulfunctioning or fails? Is it in warranty?

Somebody can tell me what are the diferences between the Suunto D3 and the free diving mode of the Suunto mosquito?

Reactions: stevevidar
Originally posted by majo
Somebody can tell me what are the diferences between the Suunto D3 and the free diving mode of the Suunto mosquito?

Majo,

I believe the difference is in the second intervals withing the freediving modes of each. If I'm not mistaken, the D3 is one second while the mosquito is two.

Why not try ebay for a second hand Tag Heuer F1? 100 Euro will easily get you a nice one. Ive have a Tag its bomb proof reliable and water resistant to 200 metres. OK it dont make your coffee in the morning but it does tell me the time when I look at it

welcome alison to the forum i can see you are digging in the form:D i did it too when i was new to the form.

Anyway actually need more than this on diving watch thats why its "diving time". I already find the necessary money and put it to the list to buy ;)

Last edited:
Alison,
I’m sure the tag is a good watch, but what we are interested in as freedivers is features that relate to freediving. Certain features like automatic depth recording, dive time measured in seconds, recording of depth by second, top time between dives by second, etc., are very important to freedivers. There are only a few companies that make watches/computers either especially for freediving like the Suunto D3 or with a freediving mode.
Bob

Reactions: stevevidar and thud
This is a man thing isnt it!
A fancy thing on your wrist to make up for inadequacies elswhere! do you really need to know dive time in seconds or time between dives, surely this information is not necessary for spear fishing (ok if your scuba diving diff thing) do the fish know how deep they are? Doesnt this sort of thing encourage reliance on external factors that dictate how you dive? The human body is not a machine, it is suceptable to daily changes in physiology that affect our performance and what we can do with ease one day may well kill us the next. Be in tune with your body, have fun, and do what is comfortably within your limits. If you need to go home and tell your wife husband whatever that you were diving to 30 metres for 3 mins 53.7 seconds with an average recovery time of 23.4 seconds so be it, as for me Id rather go home and when asked did I have fun? reply yes brilliant! Do you want fish for tea

hiya

Whoaaaa, slow down!!!!! I also own a Suunto D3 and consider it to be the best piece of diving gear i've bought. As a spearo, i'm always looking to improve my diving. Changes in tecniques can be measured accurately on your dive watch. I also use my D3 to keep my dives cosistent. 1:30 dive time and 1:30 rest. Not the very best of dive times :eek: :eek: , but i'm still learning!!!

I'm a very scared diver. Not shy to say that my greatest fear is shallow water black-out (swb). Using a dive watch enables your to control your diving. Point in case: the areas i now dive is at a depth of 14-18m water. I'm most comfortable at that depth. I will hunt very occationally at 20-22, but thats about my limit. About a month back we were spearing yellowtail in very clean water. I went down and could see the fish on the bottom, big 10-15kg class fish. About 5m from the bottom i glanced at my d3. 27m it read. I was so focussed on those fish that i exceeded my depth. Had i not seen the depth on my d3, who knows................

Like i said before, i'm a very carefull diver, but as soon as you get focused on a big fish, your sense of depth and breath-hold dissappear. I've seen on my dive times, that if there are fish around i tend to stay longer under. Has happened on many occations, that just as you decide to surface a fish comes along
and its almost as if you get your second breath!!!

Regards
miles

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT