• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving Watch

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I do trust my body. Its not that I am getting signals from my body to go up for air. its just that sometimes I am just not sure how long I have been under. The watch is to make sure I dont stay down longer than I should. When Im in shape I can hold my breath for 4 minutes. 3:30 under water. Sometimes time can fly by really fast. And sometimes time can go by very slow. Trust me if I feel the need to breath or that something is not right I go up for air.

Reactions: donmoore and thud
Geez Sven,

I thought the surface tenders did all of your calculations for you when your doing that long hose thing, and since they don't make jack, they can only afford a Timex to keep track of your run-times.;)

Still, I use a D-3 for freediving, or a D-3 and a Stinger, in Gauge mode, for mix.

Most of my bubble-blowing buddies have a running competition to see who can find the cheapest dive watch that still does the job- the winner so far is a $15 close-out ironman from Walmart. The other favorite, although it cost a little more, is the Casio G-shock. Much easier to time deep stops , or follow a run-time table if your watching a digital timer rather than trying to figure out which sweep your second hand is on. :duh

If you want to dive with it when your here I wouldn't object, since it might give me something to look for if you drop it.;)

BTW: when I first started teaching I wore s diver's 'dress' watch, but still timed all of my dives on my trusty Princton Techtonics bottom timer. The watch made for good converstation at parties, but the bottom timer was far easier to use

Jon

rofl I have a very hard and fast, uh, policy that all the coon-ass tenders do is stay away from anything that turns, rotates or has a sign hanging from it that says, "Don't Touch". When I get up they can coil the hose. I owe my left ear to an idiot that turned the VENT line during a surface deco...:blackeye Then there was the guy that turned right too soon from leaving the helicopter...:yack

I went the cheapie watch thing too for a while. As with sunglasses and women's numbers, I was always losing them, so I figure I saved a couple grr on those fine and well made timepieces that you can get when you close the claw right on them in those vending machines next to the video games at WalMart. :king I'm knocking on a big slab of teak right now for continued luck.

Now all I gotta do is find my keys.

And hey, Alison, ease up. The sexism thing has been gone through here and nobody won.

How very strange!!

Well I have to agree with Alison here, for a plain common sense aproach she is right. Honest, basic skills that have to be learnt and not bought.
Hell and considering one of her earlier coments I think Ive chosed an unfourtunate name here :duh

Reactions: Alison
And hey, Alison, ease up. The sexism thing has been gone through here and nobody won.
I don’t know how any straighter and gentlemen like a person could say that. Think about if the roles were reversed. If a man became a member of newsgroup for an activity that was done mostly by women, and when he had a difference of opinion with one he started attacking the female gender? How would the other women in the group try to tell him that attacking their gender wasn’t necessary or appreciated? Would it have been as kind as this statement?

Differences of opinion are good. Attacking someone on the basis of sex is sexism . There are many women members in this group. If needed, they will probably lend their wisdom and thoughts.
Sammy

Last edited:
can t we all just get along. i mean seriously. lets get past our gender issues, if we have any, and unite under the common umbrella of our passion for spearfishing. i know that sounded really korny, but that is the simple truth

Reactions: icarus pacific
Uh, OK folks...

Originally posted by bobbybuttr
Alison,
I’m sure the tag is a good watch, but what we are interested in as freedivers is features that relate to freediving. Certain features like automatic depth recording, dive time measured in seconds, recording of depth by second, top time between dives by second, etc., are very important to freedivers. There are only a few companies that make watches/computers either especially for freediving like the Suunto D3 or with a freediving mode.
Bob

I've read and re-read this and am at a loss to see where Bob invited or deserved that crack about this being a "guy thing". :confused:

It's entirely fine to invite controversy with the acknowlegement that it's with a vein of humor and more than one long time member here enjoys that rapport with the masses, myself included. To just join and hope to achieve acceptance by going the "guy vs. gal card" has been successful by only two definite women, both of whom I've met and dove with.

As a Mentor here I get to draw and walk a line defined by the Powers that Be and am given a lot of leeway. In that regard, I'd like to re-direct that content of this thread to the discussion of Freediving specific watches and leave the rest to PM's and emails between interested parties. Deal?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Dick Splash
Honest, basic skills that have to be learnt and not bought.

If you think that buying a watch will magically improve your skills, or anyones skills for that matter, youre dreaming.

Those honest, basic skills have to be learnt either way, and a freedive capable watch is a great tool for speeding up that learning curve.

Smart divers use the tools available to improve their skills.

I agree with all the folks that want to get back to watches, put the gender issues aside and unite in the common passion of spearfishing. Sven I also felt like you said that I didn’t deserve the attack and thank you for saying that. After reading it again several times myself, I can see where someone might take it as an overbearing correction, which honestly Alison, was not my intent. :blackeye My true purpose was to open peoples mind to the kind of freediving watch desired by some and the reasons for it.

Words, as we all know can have different meanings by the way they are said, which is hard to decipher when reading. That is one reason for smiling icons. I probably should have used some in that first message. For this I am sorry Alison. I would also like to encourage you to keep an open mind about trying a watch with these features some time, because it really can help your diving.

One united issue spearos and freedivers all seem to have is we all want to improve. I don’t know about you, but I get asked all the time, why I just don’t just put a tank on? Do you get that in the UK? Here its usually fat out of shape men who became scuba divers because it was a sport they could do in the sad shape they were in and still feel mucho about themselves. Their ego gets a little deflated when they discover that there are people doing what they are on a single breath of air. Opps I didn’t mean to start scuba vrs freediver argument. :duh Scuba divers are really cool! :eek: I really mean that! ;)

Anyway, flashers, guns, stalking technique are all great ways to improve and increase your fish opportunities, but the ability to stay down for 20 more seconds or dive 8-meters deeper also greatly increases the opportunities. Like several people have mentioned it can be very difficult to know where you are at in your ability curve without a reference other than feelings. Feelings although they are critically important are also somewhat subjective and one is able to manipulate them.

I would love to add some words of wisdom to your flasher thread, but unfortunately I have not had any real success with them as of yet. I’m reading the thread trying to learn how to use them better just like you.
Friends?
Bob

Originally posted by bobbybuttr
its usually fat out of shape men who became scuba divers because it was a sport they could do in the sad shape they were in and still feel mucho about themselves.
Bob

Would you stop talking about me behind my back?? :D sheesh.

Hi again all
Let me explain myself here, Im a long time freind of Alisons, she emailed me last week to tell me about this place which is why I joined. For those who have no clue about her which is all of you and why should you, Alison is one of the most experienced divers I know. She started scuba diving in 1975 and became an advanced instructor with the BSAC (UK) before she left for Qatar in 1981. She has since then averaged what must be 2 dives per week (you can do your own sums there) but her job as a senior cabin crew member restricts the time she can dive, which is why she freedives and spear fishes, so one way or another is in the water nearly daily. Her freediving abilities are extraordinary, I often fish with her when she is back in the UK and it is a humbling experience to see this small woman underwater, holding her breath at 10M for the best part of 4 minutes and surfacing camly and start chatting away as is she had her head under for a few seconds. She never pushes herself to the limit, always has some in reserve and this is the point Im sure she was trying to make, and by the way she actually owns one of these dive computer watches but Ive never seen her use it.
So if I may quote this >>There will be times, when you get better and know what you're doing Allison<<
I can see why she got upset, because she is new here and because she is a woman it was assumed that she knew nothing (her words from her last email to me). She is unable to answer for herself because her membership has been removed which is why I am writing this message to you all. One last thing and this is just my interpretation of this, I dont think that "attack" on Bobby was all it seemed, she has a well wierd sense of humour (and one that always gets her into trouble) and one thing she isnt is nasty.

Reactions: thud and donmoore
Originally posted by Dick Splash
She is unable to answer for herself because her membership has been removed which is why I am writing this message to you all. One last thing and this is just my interpretation of this, I dont think that "attack" on Bobby was all it seemed, she has a well wierd sense of humour (and one that always gets her into trouble) and one thing she isnt is nasty.

Hi,

I've checked the forums and can't see how Alisons account is removed, she still exists on the forums although she seems to have reset her email address at some point so is now in a holding group till she can confirm her new address to the system (i've set the system to re-email her activation codes).

I've also looked at this thread and back Sven up on his request for everyone to redirect the conversation back to diving watches and take sexism discussions out of this thread.

The internet is a very "narrowband" medium that doesn't translate humour or sarcasm very well - everyone has to be very aware of what they are saying in a public area (such as this) because it is often very easy to take the wrong meaning (i've been guilty of this as well). So caution is advised!

Back to Murat's Question

I just picked up a new Citizen Aqualand Duplex off Ebay for $150 (took me a while to find it that low). I havn't used it yet but I've heard the batteries die often and it only logs 4 dives. It does display temperature reading though and it looks good to wear as an everyday watch. (Unlike the D-3 which is ugly as sin but a much better watch for freediving)

However, I wish would have waited just a little longer because right now there is a Casio DEP-610C-1 that looks like it's going to go for around the same price. My buddy has had one for a over a year now with no problems. It logs 20 dives
(I think - not sure) and displays temperature. Unfortunately I don't think Casio makes them anymore.

Reactions: thud and donmoore
Well I did reset my email trying to reduce the amount of return email I got, I have reset it back again now and Im back.
Bob you have no need to apologise but the "this is a man thing" wasnt an attack it is just one of the phrases I use on a daily basis, however the (and Im sorry to repeat this) "Bobby Butt Head" remark was not called for but again was ment in humour and Im sorry (Realy), like you I have reread my posts and agree they are out of order.
You may have gathered that this topic is something I have strong feelings about, yes I do own 2 of these watches myself, one so old and out of date it is of no use and a new Suunto stinger which I bought recently. I still feel though that it is better to go with your own daily flow and some of you do agree at least in principle with me on this as can be seen in one reply. Thank you Colin (Dick splash!... What a bloody name!!) for the potted history and to Mishu 1984 for your kind words. For the record here although as Colin has pointed out, I do have some experience in the water I am NOT an expert spearfisherperson and would be grateful for all the help I can get.
Again if I have caused any offence I am sorry, it was not my intention
Alison

Reactions: thud
Well in an effort to toe the line, www.simplyscuba.com are selling a UWATEC: DIGITAL DEPTH/TIMER for £69 (ok Im sorry its not the best but it does fit the budget) Im sure there are other online retailers closer to home.
And in an effort to be controversial again! This freediving vs scuba thing!!

No contest! They are both fun!! Anyone want to argue?? :ko

Murat,
That watch is on my wrist right now. That is a great price. From what I heard, they don’t make them anymore so you should act fast. Do keep the receipt though. I owned the model up from this, which has the stainless band, the watch was identical except for the colors, and it only lasted 4 months. I sent it back to Casio who called me and said they could not replace it so they sent me what I paid for it. I then bought this one on e-bay and it has been on many dives and trips. I wear it almost all the time.

I actually like the plastic strap better, because I can put it on over the wet suit wrist or glove or bare. The stainless band is fixed by the number of links you leave in. The only problem with it is sometimes the elapse dive time is wrong. Many times it will say something like 8.47, which makes no sense at all. Other times it right on. The depth always seems accurate. It has a log of 10 dives and the depth-sampling rate is 2 seconds. You can’t touch it for the price.
don

Originally posted by donmoore

You can’t touch it for the price.
don

Thats right;)

I also want to buy with plastic cord, probably they sent it that way since they are advertising it like that...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT