• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

diving well

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

seaflower

May 13, 2013
so I've had this idea for a while, mostly because I need to dive/swim often for health reasons, but we don't have the space for a "classic" swimming pool.
How about building something like a well, with enough room for a few swim strokes on the surface, but really deep for a pool.
Like 6+ metres deep, and then do "lap" dives in it (go down, stay a minute or so, then go back up).
Is that feasible (with enough time in between dives, obviously), or would it be too risky with CO2 buildup and whatnot?
I'm asking because all dive towers here forbid "jo-jo dives" (but then, they are probably thinking about scuba).

And what ama divers do is exactly what I have in mind (just not that deep), so I wonder if this would be doable (aside from maintaining a pool like that, which is probably difficult).

Thoughts?

I think we all would like such a "well" in our back yards. I suppose the limiting factor would be local building codes and zoning laws.
Where I live we have "dry wells" for our septic systems. These are deep wells 70+ feet deep and 4-8 ft diameter - they are filled with coarse gravel and rock and provide a vertical drain field for waste water. But the cool thing is that they dig these wells in just a couple of hours with a giant auger. It seems to me that digging a 20 or 30 foot well and lining it with concrete would be fairly easy.
Also I have a friend (unfortunately not close by) with a backyard pool with a 15 foot deep scuba hole.

yes, I'm sure this could be built quite cost efficient if done correctly.

My concern is more if using a hole instead of a regular pool for training (and doing vertical, although shallow, dives instead of horizontal laps at constant depth) wouldn't be too much of a strain on the body, plus a huge risk with CO2 levels.

Is there a formula where I can calculate the minimum recovery time between dives (depending on depth/dive duration)?
I know the AIDA timetables, but it all seems very vague.

Last edited:
I don't think CO2 levels would be of concern. You would just do your dives and then take the prescribed surface recovery interval.
If I were to have such a well I'd be tempted to dive alone a lot - that would be the risk for me.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT