• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving with Daryl Wong

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rigdvr

Not Available in Stores
May 28, 2002
Diving with Daryl
Well I just got some of the pics from my trip to hawaii. The weather wasnt the best so we never made it to the out islands but we did the best with what we had.

Daryl noticed how much weight I had put on in the last 2 years or so following my wedding and then this year the birth of my son and apparently he felt it was his personal duty to swim it all off of me! When we rig hunt here you do almost no surface swimming...you swim to the rig, hide in the lee of a leg and dive from there. In hawaii we must have swam 20 miles a day! The only problem with my new weight loss program was that we would go out to dinner every night where I would gain 5 more pounds than I lost

Though the weather kept us from the best spots, we were blessed in other ways. The first day I found myself getting frustrated to the point of cursing at the small spooky fish in the air-clear water. At just the time where I went from frustrated to pissed a turtle swim up to me at the same time a whale starts singing inthe background...what an attitude adjustment!

The second day of diving presented us with some once in a lifetime moments. After checking Ulua houses and wahoo spots with no luck we were running to another area when we noticed a group of pilot whales playing on the surface. We motored over and Daryl dropped Andy York and myself off in their path. As the bubbles cleared (I make ALOT of bubbles these days ) I saw a pilot ahead of me. It was totally verticle in the water playing with some trash. Soon three of them were swimming right at me! Andy had his video setup and was filming the encounter. They just kept coming. In fact they got within 2-3 feet of us. On the boat, Daryls buddy Pete Wolfgram is yelling at Daryl who is rushing to get in on the action, "Hurry Daryl, I think they are going to ride them!" WE played with the pilots for quite some time before continuing our fish quest.

Not an hour after that we notice some humpbacks close by. Daryl has been trying to get in with them for quite some time without chasing them(thats illegal ) and only had luck once in the last year of trying. This time he dumps Andy and myself off and motors away. I see nothing but blue and a haze of the bottom 90-100 feet below. Suddenly its as if the reef is moving! Its 3 humpbacks passing 40 feet below us. Flying in formation it was unbelievable. 2 adults side by side, one swimming right side up and the other swimming upside down, plus there was a small juvenile between them. It was impossible to keep up with them and they werent even moving! Unbelievable.

The next day we had to dive the fished out west side of the island due to weather. The water was the cleanest I had ever seen which is precisely why it is fished out We did have a plan to see if we could find the dolphin pods that inhabit the area. Sure enough we did. What an amazing time.

WE did shoot some fish but had anyone asked me if I would rather shoot a big ulua or swim with the whales...well thats a no brainer.

I would like to thank Daryl Wong, Rick Bettua, and Pete Wolfgram, as well as their friends for an amazing trip that I will always remember. Next year I'll get my ulua(but Id rather it be an omilu )!

Attachments

• i1.jpg
    i1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 240
  • i2.jpg
    i2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 199
  • i5.jpg
    i5.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 225
  • i6.jpg
    i6.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 206
  • i7.jpg
    i7.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 187
Nice story and pics, that's an amazing place and you had a superb host.

See ya in a week!

Nice pics. Cute Roi you're holding. A diver on one of the other forums photographed one of Boca Raton, FL. Maybe one day we'll be able to spear them from the mainland... Until then its a good excuse to go back to Hawaii.

Gerald

nice story Mike.

Even if you did not see the decent fish, whales covered up the trip pretty nicely :)

Yeah, well don't get the idea that it was a green peace trip. Steel still flew, many scales were shed and ample blood was lost (from both parties!). However, the cetaceans were definitely the highlight.

Here are some more pics...

Attachments

• pilot.jpg
    pilot.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 152
  • pilot2.jpg
    pilot2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 168
  • humpbacks.jpg
    humpbacks.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 166
  • spinners.jpg
    spinners.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 169
andrsn said:
Yeah, well don't get the idea that it was a green peace trip. Steel still flew, many scales were shed and ample blood was lost (from both parties!). However, the cetaceans were definitely the highlight.

Here are some more pics...

that's simply amazing!! welcome back Andrsn!

dolphins on left, pilot whale to the right on that last series.

Ah, pilot whale.

It's a dark picture without a point of size reference. If one's seen a risso's dolphin, one might understand the mistake.

I'm incredibly jealous, none-the-less.

Anderson, its good to hear that you are still shedding some blood to our watery world :)

Those fuzzy ones are captured from some incredible video footage:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT