• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving with (Friendly)Sharks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Walrus

Oz freediver
Oct 3, 2001
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share this picture that my friend David Harasti took of me while free diving with Grey Nurse Sharks in NSW Australia. That's Ragged Tooth sharks to you South African's, and Sand Tiger Sharks ? I think they are called in the US.

The conditions were excellent that day with 15m vis and 19 degree(Celcius) water.
The gutter where the sharks were is only 14m deep so is quite easy to freedive. It was only the second time I tried out my new mosquito computer, which is awesome. Most dives I managed almost 2 minutes, which gave me a good minute and a half on the bottom with the sharks.

It was one of the best diving experiences I've had, there were 25 sharks in all, most of them juveniles only a bit over 1 meter long.
I've usually scuba dived with them, and you try not to blow bubbles for a while so they come closer. This time I didn't have to worry about it.

As soon as I got to the bottom I'd always get a shark to swim right up to me to check me out. It was so cool watching these sharks from up close. Once I became so engrossed watching them, I looked at the SUUNTO, I was already under for over 2 minutes, woops, quick trip to the surface....

Anyway check out the picture below, I'm the one not blowing bubbles.

Picture of Sharks & Divers

Woops, I don't think it atached the picture last time. Here it is.

Attachments

• wal&greynurses2.jpg
    wal&greynurses2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 339
Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been there!!

Walrus,

I Scuba'd there a few weeks ago for the first time (Magic point, South Maroubra I assume?). Would love to go back there and freedive it. Did you do it as a shore dive?

And did they come closer to you than scuba?

I counted 13 sharks in one go from right to left - it was awsome!!!

Barry

Hi Barry,

Nope that picture was taken at the Tollgates, Bateman's Bay South Coast NSW. The conditions were outstanding, Water was very clear, I got in the water and counted 24 sharks from the surface !

The best dive spot I've been to for the sharks is at Fish Rock at South West Rocks. The sharks get BIG there, about 3m and fat too. The ones I see on the South Coast are usually under 2m, although I've seen a couple at around 2.5m.

I found that it was easier to get close to them freediving then on scuba. Usually with scuba you try not to blow any bubbles for a while when they come close.

I found whilst freedving, every time I ducked dive down to the bottom, I'd always get at least one shark to swim right up to me to check me out. You do have to wait because they swim so slowly up to you, so you need to be able to stay on the bottom for at least a minute.

Just have to be careful not to swim towards them, same as scuba, because that scares them off. Try and stay near a wall or some cover as you dive down.

One duck dive I did I nearly landed on one. I checked that it was clear, then as I dive down and I don't look at the bottom so I'm streamlined. Then just near the bottom I looked and a shark swam straight under me....

You seen Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible, when he tries not to hit the floor ?

That was me, I got horizontal, spread eagled put my arms and legs out, and the shark swam right under me, dorsal fin nearly touching.

Was an excellent diving experience.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT