• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving with the Champ

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Daryl Wong

Jan 4, 2003
Aloha Gang,

I normally don't post, but this past week was an experience that my dive buddies and and I will always remember.
The blue water season is still happening. Just not as good as it was a few weeks ago. Much of it depends on the moon phase. Full moon is best. This past week has been a whirlwind of activities for our gang. I've been hosting a special guest for the past week. His name is Joseba Kerejeta.

I first met Joseba a few years ago. It was during a visit in Florida for Sheri Daye's Blue wild dive expo. Joseba was in Florida to visit one of our friends and also guest speak at the dive expo. Joseba had also set the men's Black marlin record that year with my Ono gun . He gave a great talk on his diving around the world. We met up again this past year at Sheri's expo and he told me he was coming through Hawaii and wanted to do some diving. Of course I said come on over! Who wouldn't want to dive with a record holder and now the current men's world spearfishing champion from Spain!

While in town Joseba was treated to a tour of Oahu where we live. Matt on his day off gave him the grand tour of the island. They saw the big surf, experienced the local "grinds" ( Food). And each day we all met to eat something different so he could see and taste the cultural diversity that Hawaii has to offer. The best part is a few nights we stayed in and ate what we harvested when diving. One night we fried and grilled Kumu and Kole, and the last night we ate fish tacos with the nice ono Diver Joe shot on Sunday.

The first day out, we did a half day of drifting for onos. The water was a little choppy and although three days earlier I had shot three onos in the same area, the onos just weren't there. Sunday the next day we met at 6:30 am and our group was joined by another friend of mine from the bay area Heiko Sacher. Heiko is an internationally recognized product designer who has multiple international design awards to his credit.
This was his first shot at blue water diving. We launched and hit all the regular spots. We even stopped by and introduced Joseba and Heiko to our pet turtle chomper. The only ono we saw on the first dives was a skittish one that came by Joe and then me. Joseba didn't see anything and decided to do a little reef diving.

I asked him if I could tag along and watch. He said sure and I could be a safety diver. Joseba is in a class of his own. I can see why and how he is now the current men's world champion. He put on a clinic.
Dropping to 110 ft is nothing. He glides down, does and aspetto for a minute, and then when the fish doesn't come in, moves underwater to another spot 50ft away and does the same technique. Then he came up. Average bottom time was 2-2:45 minutes. His recovery time about 3-4 minutes. Diver Joe watched him in the shalllows in 60 ft and said Joseba would move sometimes to three different spots to find fish.
The highlight of the day was the gang drifting into a big school of onos. They came by Joe and he shot and landed a beauty. Heiko saw his first ono school and is now hooked on blue water. Later we did some more reef diving and of course Joseba put on a clinic but Joe,Matt and I also got in a few fish.

In the evenings we would get back and pick Joseba's brain. He is so analytical about gear, technique, stalking and where and what to do for different fish it that we soon realized he is a machine that is always reinventing himself to adapt to any type of condition, location and fish. While looking at a globe and showing us his favorite places to dive around the world, we realized, there are few places in the world he hasn't dove. The only continent he hasn't dove is Antartica!
And the beauty of it is you could see he loves any type of diving. Shallow, deep, rough,calm, clean dirty or cold. As long a he can swim and there is fish, he is happy.

Our gang had a blast with a very special person. Joseba was always informative and more than happy to give advice and helpful tips. Now that we have seen what hard work, dedication to detail can do, we hope that we can improve our diving with the huge amount of knowledge we gained in such a short time.

I want to wish Joseba the best of luck in the next worlds this year in Croatia, and hope our paths cross again soon.

Aloha Daryl
www.wongspearguns.com

Thanks for sharing Daryl !

I have a video of him diving with Paulo Pacheco, both are very impressive.

BTW what gun did he use for the blue water ? I hope one of yours.

He is a machine that is always reinventing himself to adapt to any type of condition, location and fish. While looking at a globe and showing us his favorite places to dive around the world, we realized, there are few places in the world he hasn't dove.

Must be so true! In the turn of one year he's won gold in the World Championship in Venezuela and Bronze in the Euro-African championship in the Mediterranean. I had hardly heard about him before Venezuela, but now it's clear that he's the world's strongest competitive spearo nowadays.

I'm curious too if he tried any of Daryl's guns.
Joseba Kerejeta+Wong speargun=The deadliest fish spearing weapon system or our times! I'm just happy that I'm not a fish when I read things like this...:)

I'm curious too if he tried any of Daryl's guns.
Joseba Kerejeta+Wong speargun=The deadliest fish spearing weapon system or our times! I'm just happy that I'm not a fish when I read things like this...:)

Daryl did say in the initial post that Jeseba used a Wong ono gun for his record black marlin.

Last edited:
Hello Daryl,

Thank you for sharing this with us! Although he is a world champion, Joseba seems to be an unpretentious kind of guy, who travels the world to spearfish. He must have a lot of very interesting stories.

Below is some footage I compiled from the Spanish forums to give a glipse to the rest of us of how good he really is:

Compilation:

Joseba in Eritrea, Africa:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: devondave
Aloha Guys,

Joseba is probably the top diver in the world right now. But just talking to him asking him a ton of questions, you wouldn't know it. He is so glad to help with any suggestions and tips. He just flat out loves to dive and you can tell he lives to dive.
Joseba is sponsored by Mares. They don't have a blue water gun. He used my ono gun to set the Black Marlin world record and also has a super magnum.
He's in tahiti with a few friends and shooting Dogtooth tuna. He just sent a nice letter and a few pictures. He shot a very nice Doggy that was 40 kilos. Said he stoned it.
few of us get to do in a lifetime what he does in one trip.

Don, I bet the word Tahiti brings back memories. Heres a picture of Joseba's Doggy.

Aloha, Daryl

Attachments

• joseba& lailau cmp.jpg
    joseba& lailau cmp.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 117
Don, I bet the word Tahiti brings back memories. Here's a picture of Joseba's Doggy.
Quote: Daryl

Yes, 26 trips worth of diving in paradise with the some of the warmest people
on earth, I miss them so much.

Jean Claude Bourdelow @ Aline Sports and Erwin Christian Suchard were my
early mentors.

Thank you for posting Joseba's nice Dogie, I recognize the backround.:)
Joseba could chose to have any blue water gun in his hand, that is a great
tribute to your fine craftsmanship and Chi.
All the best, Don

Last edited:
Aloha Don,

I hope to dive Tahiti and the surounding Isles one day. I've been lucky to have met and have many friends who choose to use my spearguns. Joseba is one, Terry Maas, Gerald Lim,Ron Mullins, Matt Lum, and many others. The nicest thing about building guns is it has enabled me to do what I enjoy best. Working with my hands building something whether it be a Crown or speargun and meeting and making new friends.

I posted an announcement for the Blue Wild dive expo in Florida. If you can make it, you will see many divers you probably know already. Ron will be there to host a panel of some of the best divers from the 50-60's.

This community is very close knit and its neat in how we both have many mutual friends. I look forward to the day when our paths cross and we can tell dive lies!

Aloha,Daryl

Aloha Don,

I hope to dive Tahiti and the surounding Isles one day. I've been lucky to have met and have many friends who choose to use my spearguns. Joseba is one, Terry Maas, Gerald Lim,Ron Mullins, Matt Lum, and many others. The nicest thing about building guns is it has enabled me to do what I enjoy best. Working with my hands building something whether it be a Crown or speargun and meeting and making new friends.

I posted an announcement for the Blue Wild dive expo in Florida. If you can make it, you will see many divers you probably know already. Ron will be there to host a panel of some of the best divers from the 50-60's.

This community is very close knit and its neat in how we both have many mutual friends. I look forward to the day when our paths cross and we can tell dive lies!

Aloha,Daryl

Thank you Daryl, I have a 10 year old boy, so tying fly's and baseball have
taken away gun build plans for awhile.I may need to see if someone could
use me in a booth in Florida? And you may get a call this spring as I plan to retire my WSB gun before I lose it.
All the best, Don

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT