• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving without a buddy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bindlestitch

Dec 18, 2002
I'm sure most of you have faced the same situation I'm in...I don't have a dive buddy. At least not one that wants to dive as much as me. So ocasionally(most of the time actually) I dive alone. I know that's not the smartest thing to do. I realize it's dangerous but I wouldn't be able to dive nearly as often if I only went when I had a buddy with me. I live in the landlocked mid west and it's extremely hard to find someone whose even heard of freediving let alone one that wants to do it.
So I was wondering if any of you great people might be able to give me a few saftey pointers. Things that I can do to increase my saftey while diving alone? Or is there such a thing?
How often do you guys dive alone?
Thanks in adavance!

hi

I reckon the main one is not to hyperventilate, I dive only occasionally as well but as long as you dont do the above and dont push every dive you should be ok. Though you can still black out so stay within your comfortable limits.

cheers

Hola,
I think there is no rule that can garantice your total security.
I made a lot of solo freediving while taking underwater pictures, and try to stay in my "secure zone". That was to ascent as soon as I felt desire. But many times waiting for the perfect shot I stayed more than decided. When you are diving is hard to stick to the rules. Solo freediving is a personal choice with zero guarantee.
You can check a previous thread about this topic:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26760&highlight=solo

Andrew, thanks for the sound advice. I appreciate it!
Frank, thanks for the thread. I figured there was one out there somewhere but finding them is sometimes difficult. I learned a lot form both of you guys.
Much obliged and God bless,
Israel

I often freedive without a buddy.. We all know, it's not the prefered method and that it is not safe.. However, if you choose to dive by yourself please; 1. Take your floats, 2. Bring a cell phone and attach it to the float, 3. Bring a portable air horn (you can buy one from west marine for approx $20) 4. Don't push the dives..

Best Wishes

Artuo

Maybe the greatest thing you can do regarding your safety is education. Try to find out somewhere what goes on with your body when you freedive (DB is a great place to get info), geting the better understanding of your limits.

Stay safe,

Thanks guys , I appreciate the input. I'll take the necessary steps to be as safe as possible and say a prayer. :) or maybe pray for a buddy:D
Much obliged!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT