• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving Without Wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Spearduck

Apr 15, 2012
Hey,

I had a question. Would it be possible to go diving without a wetsuit in shorts and a lycra if the water was hot enough?

Yea its possible.

When I go to egypt I scuba dive 4 times a day, 1 hour at a time, to depths down to 40M and im more than warm enough - though the water temp is 27 degrees.

Anything less than 20 and im suiting up.

It depends on mostly on depth and water temperature. How deep will you be diving and what temperature will it be? Wetsuits are meant to provide a buffer from the elements, and it really depends on your comfort. Obviously the more comfortable you are the longer you will be able to dive.

It's definitely possible but depends what you are doing. I've done it many time on holidays etc

If you are doing shallow freediving it's fine but more often than not even in really nice warm water, it does get a bit too cold for comfort if you go deep enough or stay in the water long enough.

The other thing that could get a bit tricky is buoyancy - I am assuming the with no suit you won't be taking any weights either. There are ways around this but depends on your body too.

Overall unless you are doing 'deep snorkelling' I think you'll dive better if you get a thin neoprene top at least. Then you can put weights too if needed and it should take the edge off the cold.

When I started spearfishing, back in '88, I was a student and had no money to spend on a wetsuit, but the passion was so strong to push me underwater in any weather condition, in november, in february, "commando" all the time wearing only my speedos.

I'm glad I survived it. I sometimes found myself at the edge of hypothermy, not to mention all the cuts and scars and stings from sea urchins.

I still go with a shorty sometimes in the hottest weeks of summertime. But I'm aware I must pay a lot more of attention to everything.
Take cuts for example. When you are in the water, you almost don't feel the pain of a cut (from an edge of a rock, from a shell, or something). So you could bleed to death before you even realize you're bleeding. Hypothermy (a sharp drop in body temp) is another thing that you don't really feel dinstinctly until it starts to become horribly serious.
Get the idea?

And so yes you can go commando. But most of all remember: that's not the safe way.

Very interesting viewpoint, Spagetti.

I'm lucky enough to dive warm water, so safety and suits is not really an issue. We don't put a wetsuit on except as a last resort, much much easier without a suit. Do it for a while and you get very sensitive to body position and what you touch, and stop getting cut up except when you have to dig a fish out of a coral head. Then the thought goes through my head "ugh, I am going to be hamburger after this".

Connor

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
:) Well Connor, you dive in Paradise, but I dive in hell. It's not only a matter of water temp. its the way we hunt. Given the behaviour of our fish, we are all the time crawling on the bottom, scratching limbs against rocks, always in contact with something scratchy or edgy.
I remember myself spearfishing in Sicily in August, 44°Centigrades, in speedos and camisole. I still must have some piece of sea urchin under the skin of my knees! :crutch

Now for the beginner, I posted here below a random clip of Agguato, our mediterranean hunting techniques. No need to watch them all, just the initial sequence, to see how the hunter is belly crawling amongst rocks all the time.
Without a wetsuit, he'd go 'burger that's fo sho! :blackeye

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwWKmTZ1JGE&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLED14AF1DBED0A1EF]Agguato a spigole e cefali (part4) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT