• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

diy hawaiian sling

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Last for now, I have a thumb and palm grip one side, and the finger end grip on the other.

The band rides above the spear while held. I really like the band up front idea. More elastic = more stretchy energy to release.

The use of the pins is obvious, right? (just to see if you are still awake at the back there...)

Attachments

• pins.JPG
    pins.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 228
  • gluedpins.JPG
    gluedpins.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 222
  • semi-finishedshape.JPG
    semi-finishedshape.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 228
This, I gotta try! Very elegant.

I can't quite see how it works out. I'm assuming the spear hole isn't shown, but goes through the block in the long direction, so that the wood hook lies between the thumb and fingers and takes the force. Right??

The aluminum butt piece will corrode, but not to a degree that makes any difference. The butt piece design is quite different from anything I've used, but should work fine. You may need to score the aluminum for a better grip.

Last edited:
the thumb sits just over the spear behind the band.

The spear goes all the way through the handle. here is the glued sandwich that shows how the routed piece of ply, cut in half and glued face to face, becomes the spear hole once drilled out more.

Attachments

• glued.JPG
    glued.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 249
Looks interesting, good on you for the work so far - I guesse you could of routed out the right sized spear hole, that way you could of epoxied the two half rounds before you glued to together?
You could drill a 10mm hole & slip a piece of carbon tube in...

THanks Fox! a real complement coming from you mate! I used the only router bits I had, a too big one, and a too small one, hence the funky shape.

An 8mm bit would indeed be perfect, but one would have to chase the hole up anyway to get rid of gluey left overs.

Hey, and don't get me started on Carbon. THis simple handle has already cost me 50 bucks and a weekend and two evenings of work...

spear arrived (150cm 6.5mm) and bands too. On building and loading at shooting tension it hurts the inside of my hand between thumb and forefinger, despite a lot of shaping....

I will have too finish anyways, leaving on Saturday for blue and warm waters ;)

the thing works!

Attachments

• yellowfin+nassau_lwr.jpg
    yellowfin+nassau_lwr.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 244
  • grouper.jpg
    grouper.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 244
Reactions: foxfish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT