• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diy monofin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ywh

May 8, 2014
first step

Attachments

• 316127280-20ad7aad7c007798.jpg
    316127280-20ad7aad7c007798.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 561
  • 316127280669b03573bb0fa56.jpg
    316127280669b03573bb0fa56.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 602
This looks like it will be an interesting thread. I look forward to watching your progress and providing input if I have anything useful to contribute. Thanks ywh. :)

but I have never touched any monfin, just some phones from net.
how about the thickness of the glass fiber board?from front to back

You GOTTA get a copy of that YouTube video from the 3rd Lunocet review.

Get a friend elsewhere to D/L it and send it to you or upload it somewhere you can access.

Your blade already looks really nice!

On tip, the rubber footpockets that are usually mounted on these blades, have the important characteristic of spring power.
I've tried fixing cycle shoes to the blade, via a aluminum connection piece, and it felt like a plank.
What kind of attachment system are you planning?

I have this rubber footpockets ;-)
via a aluminum connection piece,or a PMMA,

Attachments

• 2014-05-22_21-15-58_836.jpg
    2014-05-22_21-15-58_836.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 300
GET THAT VIDEO!
Thanks!
I found some video, the silane coupling agent is coated on the surface of glass cloth. that is not my way, I have no glass cloth, I have to stick glassfiber together using glue

One of the videos that is linked there shows exactly how to make an awesome footpocket.

No matter how good your blade is, those footpockets that you have will severely limit it's performance potential.

section_parts.jpg
One of the videos that is linked there shows exactly how to make an awesome footpocket.

No matter how good your blade is, those footpockets that you have will severely limit it's performance potential.
I found this pictuer,

to glue Each layer glass fiber board, I donot like Epoxy resin Adhesive, I like 3m double-sided adhesive, any advise? thanks!

There are some dont's on fibreglass when it comes to water use. If I recall right, there are two options, of which on is bad in the medium to long term, because with use water will creep in and start separating the layers. If I only could recall their names... I believe the answer is somewhere on this forum.

The usual method for making the fin blade would be to use your metal templates as a guide to cut the glass laminates layer by layer with a sharp knife and peel the pieces away. So, you start with a thick composite panel and remove parts of it to create the taper.

What you are suggesting is new and untried as far as I know. I don't think we can tell you with much certainty if it will work or not. If you want to find out, you are going to have to try it and see what happens.

My guess is that using 3M tape to bond laminates together will not hold up over time with repeated exposures to saltwater use. Even using epoxy to bond the layers together will result in secondary bonding and will not be nearly as strong as a panel formed in one piece with primary bonds between the layers.

I am going to use 3M tape to bond small sample together, do some test.
thanks

I know VHB tape is really strong. Like I said, try it and see what happens. If the salt can penetrate the bond and crystalize it will break the bond. If it remains water tight, it may be okay.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT