• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diy monofin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
a small sample, test
2014-06-01_09-06-17_134.jpg 2014-06-01_09-07-22_193.jpg

What did you do?
Peal off 1 surface, and then glued another on it?

I know VHB tape is really strong. Like I said, try it and see what happens. If the salt can penetrate the bond and crystalize it will break the bond. If it remains water tight, it may be okay.
That is 3m double-sided adhesive tape

not so good,

Attachments

• 2014-06-03_19-33-16_434.jpg
    2014-06-03_19-33-16_434.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 280
If only there were a YouTube video that could help you and save you all kinda of time / trouble...

Get that video - figure it out.

Bahahaha, if only there were a movies on the youtube showing the proprietary development of a particular fin manufactures methods, so any person can copy it and start their own fin business. Yeah...if only...

Theres is no doubt you have some nice equipment, or at least access to this all. However, i feel all of this might be complicating the issue. you need to get away from the plastic and the tape and pick up some epoxy and resin and start experimenting with all the different cf/ fiberglass mats you can find.

What is the final goal of this project? are you trying to manufacture fins so you can sell them, or are you just playing around with some free shop time at work?

The info is public (in the "free" world), not secret. He put it there and / or knew it was being recorded.

I have never made one, but I suspect that even IF you follow the video to a "T" that your fin may be mediocre at best. There's a lot of art involved and materials / adhesive specifics makes all the difference.

I'm suggesting that it'd be easier to start with a known / proven formula and tweak / adjust / modify from there.

Right now, he's not even in the right ballpark.

Monofins / hyperfins undergo tremendous forces. This bubblegum and tape method won't cut it!!

MUCH of the performance is in how the blade flexes - both in overall stiffness and in how the layers are peeled away and the design therein.

Then you've got footpocket strength / performance / flexing.

It ain't easy to copy. Even with the "recipe", It'll take 10-25 iterations to get something that performs better than a $40 rubber finis foil monofin.

And that's assuming the maker understands materials, their properties and can use a monofin well enough to be be able to translate what they feel / see into an iterative development process.

Right now, using tape to bond layers together doesn't seem to be headed in the right direction.

^ agreed, until he takes it somewhat seriously, no one else will. Even then, most people are here to watch anyways...

thanks!
I will not do that again, I need Sandpaper and epoxy,

By trying new things, you are exposed to the likely outcome of failure. However, you are also exposed to the less likely outcome of success with innovative progress. Thanks for trying something new and sharing the results, even though it did not work out this time.

If you want to DIY with tried and true methods, you can use your metal cutting templates as razor-knife guides to trim and peel away layers of something like this: http://www.eplastics.com/NAME_80

I know to trim and peel away layers, I asked the teacher of Fin swimming .
but i need a new way,

I know to trim and peel away layers, I asked the teacher of Fin swimming .
but i need a new way,

The best way is to co-cure the tapered layers together. That will require vacuum bag techniques to get a good laminate, but I think it is better than peeling away layers of a prefab sheet of G10.

to co-cure the tapered layers together,that is Glass plate coating, I think.

co-cure = laminates are cured together with the binding matrix of the reinforcing material. So, you cut and lay fabric in your tapered design for the fin blade, then a matrix is applied, vacuum bagged and debulked and allowed to cure. The other method is to use pre-preg composites that have uncured matrix in the fabric already. It still needs to be vacuum bagged, and you will also need an oven to cure pre-pregs.

I can not to get that Equipment,I am DIYer just:)
I need Roller from my older printer may, the Glass plate is 0.2mm. like paper
T1COIZXaVXXXXXXXXX_!!2-item_pic.png_220x220.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT