• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DIY Underwater Breathing Device safe?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jun 15, 2015
Hi guys! This is my first thread in the freediving section, because i thought you would be able to help me more since you are more into this stuff.

First of all to clear things up: I do not itend to use this in spearfishing and i understand the dangers of hypoxia, swb and lung rupture from air pressure. I only want to use it as a backup when im diving/snorkeling (when i run out of air take a breath exhale and head up to the surface)

I saw this video:

If i use this underwater and FULLY EXHALE before i come to the surface is not that dangerous right? Can i use it up to 10m or 5-7 at least? Also i dont dive alone and both my friend and i have taken a freediving class and first aid/cpr training.

2 things i learned during my level 1 freediving course was (among others ;) )
A. Do not take air from a tank while freediving. If however for whatever reason it happened, do stay on the octopus of the scuba diver until resurfacing.
B. Do not exhale before you resurface.

and .— why would you want to hyperventilate?

If you hyperventilate you trick your body's alarm system and bo risk increases...

I personnaly wouldn't take the risk, even if theoretically and on paper it seems ok to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks! But when i asked if i could hyperventilate with this i meant if there's a possibility of accidentaly hyperventilating with this thing! That's why i asked, for safety reasons... I know what hyperventilating is, and i don't want it to happen... Seems it's one of the causes of SWB...

One of the problems with this kind of thing is that if you get to a point of fear/terror where you would actually use it, there's a good chance that you wouldn't use it properly.
Pretty neat little gadget to fool around with though, when you're calm and happy :)

It looks like a pretty low pressure system. They don't say what pressure it is, but I think it would be very sensitive to depth. I'm thinking you can expect to get about one breath from it if you are not deeper than 2 or 3 meters depth. Much deeper than that and you would only be able to get a fractional breath under ideal conditions. I think it would be dangerous as a safety system; too unreliable and hard to use under the conditions of a real emergency. If you want an emergency bailout system, I think you'd do much better to get something like a SpairAir system: http://www.leisurepro.com/p-sx3/spare-air-bottle-only?RRref=productPage

Strap that to your arm instead, and maybe you won't die. ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT