• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Do you pee in your pants?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jan 19, 2016
Really. I know its not the most hygenic thing to do...

I drink 3+ litres of water a day, especially when diving. I pee just before I don my wetsuit. But as long as I touch the water I have to go again!

I also heard that its part of mamalian dive reflex for body to reject water.

I wont lie...I have to pee around 4-5 times in a 3 hour spearfishing session. I heard people saying they never do!! Is that really possible?! If so I'd like to know your trick...

PS: I wash my wetsuits thoroughly in clothes washing soap after each session just fyi :D

Reactions: Mr. X
A never-failingly fun topic.

I always figured there were three types of divers, those who never wore a wetsuit, those who pissed in them, and those who lied about it.

Its been a fun education to find out that there are a few who really do not. There are some strange gadgets that allow a diver to pee but not in his suit, some crazies take their suits off half way, and some really don't pee.

Connor

It warms you up real nice in cold conditions!
But remember if you do this in a pool and it leaks out everyone will know because they put a chemical in the water to turn the pee purple :)

Every time :D My body reacts whenever I put a wetsuit on! It goes on, then it has to come off as I need the toilet (not a pee!). Then back on, I always drive to the spot in my wetsuit and rumour has it that I have been known to need a pee before I get out the car, but that's just scandalous gossip :whistle: If I was diving in a sharky place with bad viz I probably wouldn't be so cavalier with my pee but as it happens I can be and so am! ;)

Reactions: Etienne Spiteri
I never do. But I am only in the water for an hour or two at a time. When you see 25 divers on a dive boat get out of the water at the same time, it makes you wonder how prevalent it is..:(

SOLO~

Okay, let me elaborate on this question and answer...

Yes! Absolutely, unequivocally with no reserves whatsoever. It feels so good and because I'm usually hydrated, mine is clear. It's a great way to warm up your suit if only temporary. [emoji4]

There's only 3 types of divers: those who pee in their wetsuits, those who lie about it, and those that don't dive a sufficient amount of hours continously to experience it.

My only issue is now that I dive in a 2 piece 5 mil freedive suit, it's not the same as a regular scuba wetsuit because it sticks to you like a second skin. I wouldn't recommend it because it stinks, shortens your suits' life and is unhygienic since you can't flush it without cold shock. Enough said.

So I took a tip from my buddy in the UK and added a custom pisette to the pants. Unlike most, it does not stick out and it's hidden under the beavertail anyway. It cost me a little more but it's definitely worth it.

And sorry, but I'm not sharing any details publicly for obvious reasons. There's plenty of info on other forums. The two things I'll say is use the thinnest neoprene you can stand because there's no need to keep your "snake" in there for the entire dive. That's the biggest mistake I made with traditionally designed pisettes. The other, not pulling it out enough, defeating the purpose... HAHAHA!
[emoji13] [emoji1]

haha...nice to see some honest replies round here :)

Yepp mine is clear too from all the water I drink.

One last secret I'll divulge with you. Just as you enter cold water, it's nice to pee just before your first dive. During your duck dive you'll feel the warmth go all the way from your back to your neck!

Probably our favourite & most successful topic in years gone by :)
... shortens your suits' life ...
Are you sure about that? Neoprene is a surprisingly stable material.

So I ... added a custom pisette to the pants. Unlike most, it does not stick out and it's hidden under the beavertail anyway. It cost me a little more but it's definitely worth it.
How much is a "pissette upgrade"? :) Elios never mentioned it as an option but I expect they'd make one if asked. The 2 names I have heard for them are both French, so perhaps more of a French thing than Italian?

...The two things I'll say is use the thinnest neoprene you can stand because there's no need to keep your "snake" in there for the entire dive. That's the biggest mistake I made with traditionally designed pisettes. The other, not pulling it out enough, defeating the purpose...
Do you wear swimming trunks under your wetsuit? If so, do need to "wrangle around down in the old home town" to use it (would that rather defeat the object)?

Wouldn't a gap/open-fly in the front seam of your wetsuit pants serve the same purpose more simply, especially as that seam will normally be hidden by the jacket's beaver-tail?

One last secret I'll divulge with you. Just as you enter cold water, it's nice to pee just before your first dive. During your duck dive you'll feel the warmth go all the way from your back to your neck!

Remind me not to stay above you when you do that.... :cautious:

Are you sure about that? Neoprene is a surprisingly stable material.

I would think it would eat away at it eventually since neoprene is a porous material. ;)

How much is a "pissette upgrade"? :) Elios never mentioned it as an option but I expect they'd make one if asked. The 2 names I have heard for them are both French, so perhaps more of a French thing than Italian?

It was close to $100 and I had it made seamless at a wetsuit manufacturer and it was a completely custom design with a mix of thicknesses, the thickest being the very tip of the hole where your...well you know. :censored: Also I wanted the material to be "flexible" so I don't have to be all in there all the time unless I'm doing the obvious. :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Also I have no idea which is the correct spelling for it. Pissette? Pissant? Pissent? Pisset? Pissyaunt?? :D
Google translated Russian text to Codpiece. It will probably be years before divers warm up to the idea of codpieces. :hilarious::ROFLMAO:

...The two things I'll say is use the thinnest neoprene you can stand because there's no need to keep your "snake" in there for the entire dive. That's the biggest mistake I made with traditionally designed pisettes. The other, not pulling it out enough, defeating the purpose..

What a sin it would be to go anything other than commando. That's the best part of wearing a wetsuit! :woot:

I'm not sure what you mean by "gap/open-fly in the front" but if the connecting part to the suit that's being added on is thinner and more flexible, I find it much for comfortable to use no matter how I'm "at attention or not" down there. Okay, okay enough. I can't stand it!!!!
:X3::X3::X3::X3::shame::shame::bag:

I would think it would eat away at it eventually since neoprene is a porous material. ;)
Also I have no idea which is the correct spelling for it. Pissette? Pissant? Pissent? Pisset? Pissyaunt?? :D
Google translated Russian text to Codpiece. It will probably be years before divers warm up to the idea of codpieces. :hilarious::ROFLMAO:
I'm not sure what you mean by "gap/open-fly in the front" ...
I don't think neoprene is porous (to water/air/oil). Many spearing wetsuits have open-cell inside, which could certainly be construed as pores but the exterior is usually closed cell (and often nylon covered to). I often take my wetsuit off & the only moisture inside is the lube I put in when I put it on. But, back to the original point, 10 years on, no sign of "eating away" at my wetsuit! ;)

My comment was not about the spelling but about an entirely different name: there is another French expression for pissette which is essentially "ducks bill", something like bec du canard (regrettably I don't speak French, so that is probably not accurate). I like the sound of "diver's codpiece"! :)

Commando in a wetsuit - no, no, say it ain't so! Got to get that image out of my head, aaaargh!

Re. "a gap/open-fly in the front seam" - mean like the zipped (or buttoned) fly in the front of a pair of jeans/trousers/pants but without a zip or buttons, just open (but covered by the jacket's beaver tail - that area prefers to be covered by...never mind :D).

Pretty sure the salt does more damage than pee if you don't rinse your suit off properly. I surf and it's bit of an old joke to flick pee out of your suit at mates when walking down the beach, I would never dream off doing it to an unsuspecting victim!
It would make sense to let the pee out of spearo suit via a pissette where as a standard suit it can make its own way out.... even tho warm to start with it can cause a small gap between your suit and skin meaning the open cell neoprene is going to be as effective.

I had never herd of or seen a pissette until Last summer when saw someone mincing across a car park with one sticking out.... I almost pissed myself laughing! Looked like an alien with a hernia!

Pretty sure the salt does more damage than pee if you don't rinse your suit off properly. I surf and it's bit of an old joke to flick pee out of your suit at mates when walking down the beach, I would never dream off doing it to an unsuspecting victim!
It would make sense to let the pee out of spearo suit via a pissette where as a standard suit it can make its own way out.... even tho warm to start with it can cause a small gap between your suit and skin meaning the open cell neoprene is going to be as effective.

I had never herd of or seen a pissette until Last summer when saw someone mincing across a car park with one sticking out.... I almost pissed myself laughing! Looked like an alien with a hernia!
John you couldn't have said it better! But I'd say peeing in an open cell suits vs using a pissette on one would definitely comprise your warmth. As you said, a regular closed cell wetsuit allows for flushing so then you don't have to worry about it marinating in your own juices like you would in an open cell suit. [emoji13] I'll take the custom pissette any day. Plus, my suit still smells like conditioner at the end of the day instead of a urinal.

I said the open cell suit material was porous because I always hear people complaining about the smell, even after repeated washings. That and I heard when the wetsuits are made, they shave off the neoprene exposing the bubbles.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Commando in a wetsuit???

Once upon a time I invited a cold water diver on one of my tropical trips. He never even thought to bring a bathing suit. Says he, " I mean why? I always wear a wetsuit. The difference in viewpoint was hilarious.

Commando in a wetsuit???

Yeah why not? As long as you change beforehand, there's no problem. I couldn't imagine wearing a spearfishing open cell suit any way other than commando. Plus, I have a pissette which keeps my suit from reeking and I don't care how it looks. You'll never see mine. :D

John you couldn't have said it better! But I'd say peeing in an open cell suits vs using a pissette on one would definitely comprise your warmth. As you said, a regular closed cell wetsuit allows for flushing so then you don't have to worry about it marinating in your own juices like you would in an open cell suit.
emoji13.png
I'll take the custom pissette any day. Plus, my suit still smells like conditioner at the end of the day instead of a urinal.

I said the open cell suit material was porous because I always hear people complaining about the smell, even after repeated washings. That and I heard when the wetsuits are made, they shave off the neoprene exposing the bubbles.

Commando in a wetsuit???

Once upon a time I invited a cold water diver on one of my tropical trips. He never even thought to bring a bathing suit. Says he, " I mean why? I always wear a wetsuit. The difference in viewpoint was hilarious.
Commando in a wetsuit???

isnt the whole point in open cell neoprene is that it sticks to your skin and becomes like a layer of blubber for insulation and doesn't let in water?

isnt the whole point in open cell neoprene is that it sticks to your skin and becomes like a layer of blubber for insulation and doesn't let in water?
Exactly right John! So if you want to stay warm, stay naked in the suit. If your suit is properly sized, you'll have little to no water in there when you dive. Plus, open cell is so dam comfortable.
[emoji6]

I might invent a pissette that goes in and out like a turtle head for swimming in different tempetures!

Reactions: SubCurrent
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT