• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Do you pee in your pants?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
BTW John, I'm generously giving away free pissettes in the new Deeperblue Tapatalk chat room we apparently have as of this morning. HAHAHA! [emoji13] [emoji23] [emoji38]

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Reactions: John86
I am hunting mostly from shore, even if I do it using a boat, then there is no persons onboard who will be shocked seeing me peeing from it downto the sea. So, there is never a problem for me to take a break and pee, either from shore or from boat. I have heard about couple of ocasions when seriouce skin infections developed due to the peeing in wetsuit, so for me it is an obviouse choice not to do it.

I pee alot during dive directly in my suit. I shore dive and sometimes it's complicated to go out and do it proper.
Only problem is that the pee will get colder and keep me cold.
Regarding rushes or other bad things to skin, no problem so far.

...As you said, a regular closed cell wetsuit allows for flushing so then you don't have to worry about it marinating in your own juices like you would in an open cell suit. [emoji13] I'll take the custom pissette any day. Plus, my suit still smells like conditioner at the end of the day instead of a urinal.

I said the open cell suit material was porous because I always hear people complaining about the smell, even after repeated washings. That and I heard when the wetsuits are made, they shave off the neoprene exposing the bubbles....
Yes, that makes a good case for the humble pissette. Yes, the inside of an open-cell wetsuit is full of pores & likely pee will be hard to entirely remove from it.

Any thoughts about the practicallity of my zip-less fly alternative, suggested above? I am thinking that it would be a much cheaper alternative - it could, perhaps, be offered at no extra cost, since no extra material or cutting is required, just a little less glue & thread up the front seam.

a gap/open-fly in the front seam" - mean like the zipped (or buttoned) fly in the front of a pair of jeans/trousers/pants but without a zip or buttons, just open (but covered by the jacket's beaver tail - that area prefers to be covered by...never mind :D).

Here's the problem I see with that design Mr. X.

Since the whole point is to not "expose yourself" to colder water, how would a open flap or zip-less fly protect you from the cold water? Any hole as I see it will let in water. I guess I don't really understand what you're proposing but you've given me some great ideas to improve mine and hide it when I'm out of the water.

My custom pissette is basically flexible, stretchy neoprene jersey material on the outside which is a very thin thickness, and of course open cell on the inside. I guess the only problem is when you're removing your beavertail at the end of the dive on shore or on the boat. :shame:

That's okay for the French and Russians, but we need a more discrete, collapsable cod piece that doesn't blindsight someone when changing. Maybe I'm on the verge of improving the not-so-discrete pissette. :happy::writer:

Last edited:
Hey, all this creative discussion has given me some more ideas(!)

Instead of the zip-less fly, how about a purge valve, like those on some snorkels, in your wetsuit pants? :D Perhaps this could be the basis for the diver's codpiece - perhaps re-using one of those filter face masks for the purpose :D
img-thing

Also, this "going commando" in your wetsuit is bothering me but a solution suggests itself: a pissette for your swim trunks/speedos/budgie smugglers! :D Indeed somebody has already done it - camo too:
http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/104/002/512/512002104_211.jpg

Last edited:
BTW John, I'm generously giving away free pissettes in the new Deeperblue Tapatalk chat room we apparently have as of this morning. HAHAHA!
emoji13.png
emoji23.png
emoji38.png

I bet they're not

Instead of the zip-less fly, how about a purge valve, like those on some snorkels, in your wetsuit pants? :D Perhaps this could be the basis for the diver's codpiece - perhaps re-using one of those filter face masks for the purpose :D
img-thing

Also, this "going commando" in your wetsuit is bothering me but a solution suggests itself: a pissette for your swim trunks/speedos/budgie smugglers! :D Indeed somebody has already done it - camo too:

img-thing

nice trunk!

A thought comes to mind, we have very selfishly forgotten the needs of female spearos with the whole pissete thing! This needs serious consideration.......................... sorry, got distracted :D Seriously I wonder how many female spearos would admit to peeing in their wetsuits, its gotta be the same for them.

Sorry Mr X, I too go commando in my wetsuits, I am always paranoid about my wetsuit splitting whilst wiping out on my bodyboard and getting washed up face down and bare butt up................ first world problems and all that :D

Reactions: SubCurrent
I wouldn't exactly know how a female spearo's suit would have to be designed because nothing really sticks out. You'd have have some kind of bag inside to catch everything. Gosh...now I feel bad for every woman that freedives or spearfishes with an open cell wetsuit.
[emoji17] [emoji20] [emoji52] [emoji53] [emoji55]

Every time I freedive I want to be totally relaxed. I don´t worry about peeing, farting or burping. I drink too much water and don´t drink coffe that day. My pee is so diluted it looks clear and doesn´t smell.
I don´t see any better option than peeing in wetsuit.

A thought comes to mind, we have very selfishly forgotten the needs of female spearos with the whole pissete thing! This needs serious consideration.......................... sorry, got distracted :D Seriously I wonder how many female spearos would admit to peeing in their wetsuits, its gotta be the same for them.
Regrettably (but perhaps understandably) we don't see many speara (the feminine form of "spearo" I believe) on the forum, we certainly could do with their civilizing influence. Speara do exist though & some very good ones too, esp. in the USA - a very positive reflection on that free, democratic, liberated society I think - and a rather poor reflection on other countries that don't have speara. However, there are lots of female freedivers - less gory & more glamorous I dare say.

When we last tackled this important, weighty subject (pissettes) some years ago, I recall the rather glamorous & liberated female freediver & staff member IslandSands enjoying the spectacle no end. I don't recall any insights into the female perspective, just a lot of laughing at the men :)

Perhaps my zip-less fly or purge valve proposals could have application here? :)

Reactions: Pinniped72
...Perhaps my zip-less fly or purge valve proposals could have application here?

Apparently Beuchat have a patent on a fly for spearo wetsuits already: "Braca Concept (Beuchat patent) : a zipless fly that is simple to use, discreet and hygienic."

lynlaes.jpg

I tend to think of Omer as the innovative spearfishing manufacturer but I am now thinking that Beuchat seems to own that title for spearfishing wetsuits :) [they also have a patent on a seam to help cut down longjohn wetsuit pants: "PreCut System (Beuchat patent) : Long john style pants transformable into waist cut pants"].

It is available on their RockSea Competition wetsuit: http://www.beuchat-diving.com/en/produits/rocksea-competition-2//en/produits/rocksea-competition-2/

More subtle that a pissette/bec du canard. Surprised they didn't go for a vertical implementation (more like a traditional zip/button fly) - but perhaps that was required to make it different enough to be patentable?

Last edited:
Apparently Beuchat have a patent on a fly for spearo wetsuits already: "Braca Concept (Beuchat patent) : a zipless fly that is simple to use, discreet and hygienic."

lynlaes.jpg

I tend to think of Omer as the innovative spearfishing manufacturer but I am now thinking that Beuchat seems to own that title for spearfishing wetsuits :) [they also have a patent on a seam to help cut down longjohn wetsuit pants: "PreCut System (Beuchat patent) : Long john style pants transformable into waist cut pants"].

It is available on their RockSea Competition wetsuit: http://www.beuchat-diving.com/en/produits/rocksea-competition-2//en/produits/rocksea-competition-2/

More subtle that a pissette/bec du canard. Surprised they didn't go for a vertical implementation (more like a traditional zip/button fly) - but perhaps that was required to make it different enough to be patentable?

Interesting. If t was vertical it would tend to 'open' & leak much more water in whenever the diver bends about the waist. This way it is easier to seal without zip as it is aligned with the creases....hard to explain but I'm pretty sure of what I'm saying :)

The biggest problem I see with this design is when you don't want cold water flushing into your suit. My question would be how would you block water from coming in the suit?

The biggest problem I see with this design is when you don't want cold water flushing into your suit. My question would be how would you block water from coming in the suit?

That's just a design feature, Beuchat claim 'Exposing the testicles to a sudden rush of cold water will ensure that every last ounce of pee is squeezed out of the diver...'

Joking apart, if it sits snugly, then water will not rush in past the groin area,. Another possibility is to pee floating on your back, from a distance, not unlike a small whale exhaling at the surface :)...

Reactions: Mr. X
Perhaps letting some cold sea water in is not such a big deal. The male gonads are designed to run a little cooler than the rest of the body, hence their position. Despite this, it has troubled for some time that spearo wetsuits tend to have a double layer of insulation (pants + bever tail) around the area that should be kept coolest.

Commando in an open cell suit - always.

Scupper (aka Pissette) - yes, a great invention.

Immersion Diuresis is the cause of you often peeing when wet. (part of the mammalian dive reflex?)

Reactions: SubCurrent
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT