• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Does anyone ever quit freediving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jersey Jim

Mar 21, 2002
It has been 49 weeks since I registered with this great forum (read posts for months prior). At that time, I was member 600. Less than a year later 921 additional members have joined. To me, that is an incredible influx of interest into this sport.
My question is, does anyone know of freedivers who gave up this great sport? I will be entering my third season freediving, and even throughout the off season, it is always on my mind. I can honestly say I remember every dive. I can't count the times that reflecting back on past dives was a perfectly relaxing way to drift off to sleep for the night. It seems to provide a special form of contentment. I can not imagine anyone ever giving up this sport once they've known it. Please tell me it doesn't happen!

Jim

Interesting Jim! I think it's probably the initial step that tends to be the deciding factor. If you're comfortable holding your breath underwater and the freediving bug really "bites" you, it only gets better as you get further into it. For a lot of people that initial step is something that turns them away, or at least discourages them from going further. Once your into it the possibilities are as immense as the abyss. Freediving can be a lifelong exploration of the sea and of yourself. That's the kicker that keeps it from getting old. ;)

-M

I'm actually considering it...

With the state of the economy in my part of the country, survival is the only thing I can think of at this time.

As much as I love the sport of freediving, I have come to a place where just doing it seems more important than talking or writing about it.

And after reporting and experiencing the tragedies over the last year, I have put myself in standby mode for awhile - I am still training though - just not like I was a year ago.

Who knows, this may just be a phase... :confused:

You bring up a good point Cliff. "Freediving" means a lot of different things to different people. When I answered the question I was answering from the perspective of someone who simply enjoys freediving for the purity of it. Others are into in a more competitive frame of mind or for the sake of spearing. I think there could be a lot of different answers based on a persons identification with the sport. To me it's part of me, so whether my last dive was two minutes ago or two years ago I'll always consider myself a freediver.

I once read a definition of freediving that said, "one second and one inch". In it's simplest form it's simply breath hold diving to any depth for any length of time. In that sense once your hooked I think it has a lasting affect. Others that are in it for other reasons be it a competitive outlet or whatever, might drift in and out of the sport.

Not trying to classify anyone as any particular type of freediver. Just trying to point out that a persons initial motivations have alot to do with it and there is a lot of variation out there.

Just my 2c.

-M

Originally posted by M-2
You bring up a good point Cliff. "Freediving" means a lot of different things to different people. When I answered the question I was answering from the perspective of someone who simply enjoys freediving for the purity of it. Others are into in a more competitive frame of mind or for the sake of spearing. I think there could be a lot of different answers based on a persons identification with the sport. To me it's part of me, so whether my last dive was two minutes ago or two years ago I'll always consider myself a freediver.

I once read a definition of freediving that said, "one second and one inch". In it's simplest form it's simply breath hold diving to any depth for any length of time. In that sense once your hooked I think it has a lasting affect. Others that are in it for other reasons be it a competitive outlet or whatever, might drift in and out of the sport.

Not trying to classify anyone as any particular type of freediver. Just trying to point out that a persons initial motivations have alot to do with it and there is a lot of variation out there.

Just my 2c.

-M

No problem - I think that not having been in the water since last May(!), I am beginning to wonder if I should even try to keep freediving. I just can't seem to make the time with all of my other obligations these days (keeping myself working, spending time with my grandson, working out, etc)

I think I am in a paradigm shift regarding why I freedive. It is now more personal to me than it has ever been. I am at a point now where if I freedive, I freedive - if I don't - I don't. Less talk - more do. The world isn't going to come to an end if I don't get out for a bit.

Life is too short to be worrying about one's own static pb or new pb for depth.

Spending time with my grandson - now that is something worth doing... :)

Here is a recent photo of the little bugger...

Attachments

• trey at 50th anniversary party - web.jpg
    trey at 50th anniversary party - web.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 446
Cliff,

Heres an option: You live in Eugene, Oregon right? Aren't there still hippie communes around there? There you go! Live in the commune, hunt fish and work part time somewhere.:hmm

Freediving will be here when and if you get back...or leave for that matter.... Get your life in order first. Worry about freediving later. There comes a time when you will have to do things you are going to hate. Do them, and get them over with! If you are going to quit, then quit. One less thing to worry about. I know that im younger than yourofl , but think long and hard to see if freediving is a priority or a hobby. The answer is pretty obvious. You can always come back to freediving.

Just some advice.

Maybe we can start the "Help Cliff" fund.

Tim

LOL rofl

Nah - It is what it is...

I think that with so much going on right now, I have had to put freediving on the back burner - I still love the sport - I just need to take a week away from everything and do some serious freediving - preferably someplace warm and sunny. I may rent a car for a weekend, pack my tent and sleeping bag, and head for the Southern Oregon Coast to kill some fish. Nothing really rejuvinates the mind and spirit like environmentally responsible hunting. Fresh Fish and Chips with a good bottle of ale or Chardonnay while sitting around a campfire is always a treat after a long hard day of freediving.

Hmmm - now there is an idea...;)

Reactions: TMcKee
Cliff,
I'm glad to see that you have your priorities straight. Since I'm single with no kids (any hot, single freediver ladies feel free to PM me :D ) I have a fair amount of time to dive and do other recreational things. Once the family comes I know things will change. It comes down to how do you want your family to remember you? Sure you can be some nut of a freediver that your family can brag on but what do you think they would rather have? A legend that they never knew, or a father/grandfather that they knew loved them. Choice is yours but when you really think about it there really is no choice; unless you're just a selfish bastard. Best thing to do, brainwash the kid into thinking that diving is the greastest thing on earth. Teach em to swim from before they can walk and viola, a lifelong dive partner. But then again I could be wrong.

Brad :martial

Originally posted by w3ac
Cliff,
I'm glad to see that you have your priorities straight...

Best thing to do, brainwash the kid into thinking that diving is the greastest thing on earth. Teach em to swim from before they can walk and viola, a lifelong dive partner. But then again I could be wrong.

Yeah - sometimes those placement of priorities can be uncomfortable. Then I see my grandson smile at me and everything changes.

I already have plans of getting him in the water as soon as he is old enough. I need a dive buddy in a few years and his mother is adament about his only eating organic and wild foods - nothing better than fresh fish right out of the ocean for a batch of sushi... ;)

Originally posted by Cliff Etzel
Life is too short to be worrying about one's own static pb or new pb for depth

I've only attempted two long statics and two real deep dives in all my years as an apneist. Cliff,.. once a freediver, always a freediver. Freediving has never meant that you have to dive deeper and deeper to be labeled as such. Dipping into the quiet, swimming with such graceful creatures, experiencing the world below first hand is what will always keep me coming back. I don't think you become a freediver, I think a freediver becomes you. :) You just have to let it accept you and realize you don't have to be submerged 24/7 to be a part of this family.

Cheers,
Anderson

This has really turned into a Cliff Etzel therapy session!:D
Cliff you're fine - no worries! And you're not alone. Everyone's situation is different. I've struggled between the "be a divebum" world and the "be a responsible adult" world for years now and there's no clear cut answer. I'm in a bit of the same situation lately. Between work and grad school I haven't been wet in a really long time. Those things go in streaks. Anderson hit it right on with his comments. And the ocean will always be there for you. It doesn't matter how far away you live or how long it's been since your last visit, she's always happy to welcome you home.

Now, I believe the original question was has anyone ever quit freediving. Personally I can't imagine it. Even if you've been away for a while there's always an opportunity here or there to squeeze in a visit and remember that freediving may take place in the water, but it also lives in your soul.

2 more cents......

-M

Never meant it to be a therapy session...

Been in a long period of introspection over the last month - I do think at times many view Freediving as an almost spiritual endeavor - sort of like those who when they first become converts are quite zealous, and then over time they develop a greater wisdom (so to speak) that allows them to just be and do (insert Yoda voice here)

Yeah - once a freediver, always a freediver.

Hopefully this year will be for making up lost time in the water.

Originally posted by andrsn
Cliff,.. once a freediver, always a freediver. Freediving has never meant that you have to dive deeper and deeper to be labeled as such. Dipping into the quiet, swimming with such graceful creatures, experiencing the world below first hand is what will always keep me coming back. I don't think you become a freediver, I think a freediver becomes you. :) You just have to let it accept you and realize you don't have to be submerged 24/7 to be a part of this family.

to me, it's just a "way of life". i think you lost this spirit by competing too much. just have a break and come back when you would be really enjoing it. Family is best.

aude

good question...

--Jim, Great thread: clearly, freediving is something that becomes a part of you once it's explored. It's been far too long since I've been out there (recovering from surgery in Nov)....but got out in March before the storm. :( Nothing since then, due to other life pressures/needs. There's not a day I don't think about it.
Cliff, good luck and congrats on the lovely grandson....he's a keeper!!! Whatever you choose to do will be perfect. Life isn't lived in absolutes, that's for sure.
Speaking for myself, this site keeps me pumped and in touch with what's going on out there under the waves. I figure if I can't be roughwater swimming, keeping in touch with those who freedive helps somehow, in a way I don't completely understand yet.
M-2 said it well, "once you're hooked....it has a lasting effect."

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT