• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Does anyone know where I can buy.....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Alison

Mar 6, 2004
ONE OF THESE!!!!!
A wooden roller gun made by Persiko (a DB member). I just had to post some pics here, Im sure every spearo has to admire this one.
A champion of carbon/wood laminate too ;) Check out his website lots of pics of his guns and how he made them, only in Italian at the moment but it is in the process of being translated to English.

Alison
I am helping him translate his webpage , and as far as I know he only makes them for himself.
The webpage is a guide for people that want to make their own ;)
I must admit they are lovely looking guns.

Reactions: Alison
Hi guys/girls can you please explain what the advantages of these roller guns are, apart from the cool hi-tech and at the same time classic look :)

Aw, just get a Riffe and do it the easy way. Sheesh! Another "bespoke" addict Brit. Shame on your Welsh self, Allie, me mother's folk are lookin' atcher askance.

:D

If everyone "did it the easy way" it wouldn't be much fun now would it?
Besides carbon is prolly a little too modern for most of the tree-trunkers on here;)
Seriously though those guns are a work of art.I really like the muzzle design much sleeker than anything else wooden I have seen so far.

Carbon and wood laminating isnt really that much of a new idea, it was talked about here last year I dont see any advantage myself, what are the advantages over plain wood? isnt wood stiff enough? the only advantage of the carbon would be to reduce the thickness of the barrel, but this will reduce the bouyancy of the gun as well as mass, so why not just stick with wood?

Last edited:
I think in this particular gun the idea is that the gun is fairly flat in form which will improve tracking from side-to-side.
This will also make the gun susceptible to flex in the vertical plane.
Vertical Carbon strips should make the gun a lot stiffer and more resistant to flex in the vertical plane, which is the whole idea of using carbon in the first place.
Of course you go the tree-trunk route and use a whole teak tree which is thick enough to not flex noticeably , however you may find tracking can be problematic with this design.

Ive had a couple of these laminated guns made for me over the last year, the first was a disaster because it was just so thin and like Stevie said, to heavy in the water; so the second had more wood on the sides, another disaster, if the thing was tilted slightly during sideways movement, it either dived or shot upwards like a wing but not easy to track at all,so swings and roundabouts really. I dont think there's any harm by sticking carbon in them but I'm not convinced there's an awfull lot to gain. What we did do at the very tail end of last season was to try a mock up of a mid handled gun, even though that was way fatter than a eurogun it tracked so much easier, hence £320 on my new Riffe :) and soon I hope to buy one of Daryls hybrids too (Titanium not carbon) :D

Reactions: Huan
Beautiful gun, did you try pm'ing persiko and offering him lots of cash with your lotto winnings? :)

LOL I dont really want one (well yes I do) my husband is (was) a cabinet maker so he can make all I need :) I just wanted everyone to see what a beautiful gun Persiko had made. Tell you what though, I wish we had won the lottery :(

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT