• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Does AP make sense for pool competitions?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Somebody gave up on competitive freediving because of the competition format? Because he was upset about APs, penalties, start order etc? For real?

Quite a few divers have been known to be good at 'record attempts', but not good at competitions. Tanya Streeter, for example, excelled at record attempts (70m CWT bifins), but she never managed a deep dive at a competition (Max 40m CWT). She often said she had great respect for the divers that were able to perform under such 'terrible conditions and circumstances', as she put it.

Well, there are certainly a huge number of high level athletes and even former record holders who no longer compete actively. Tom Sietas, Manolis Giankos, Seb Murat, Natalie Desreac, Natalia Avseenko, Peter Pederson, Sam Still, Juraj Karpis, Timo Jattu, Bevan Dewar, Brett LeMaster, Deron Verbeck, Ronald Laurens, Stig, Henning Larsen, Neugebauer, etc... (of these 6 are world record holders...)

Of these I personally know that LeMaster (previous WR holder) stopped competing because he didn't like the stress format of the competitions. Of the others I can only speculate.

To reduce speculation, this is what another guy from that list is up to these days (will let you try and spot him) rofl

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc7xddsG-yw]Cadbury Dairy Milk[/ame]

PS Goran, this is what happens to you after a being crowned world champion at a stressful competition :D

Last edited:
Sam Still !

Not sure if being crowned world champion is what broke him, or the 10 days without eating he did before the competition in order to win.

Sam Still !

Not sure if being crowned world champion is what broke him, or the 10 days without eating he did before the competition in order to win.

Hence the sausages in the video you think? LOL Nah, what broke him is trying to teach me how to freedive, it must be much more stressful than comps :)

Anyway he's a great guy and freediver, still very much involved in freediving in many ways and as you can see, having fun :)

Tanya Streeter did 60m easy in Ibiza 2001, and was the deepest woman in comp that year(!).

Why great athletes stop competing can have 1000 reasons. Peter Pedersen told me that he did not like the AIDA WC format in DYN. He did not like to do two dives, heats and finals, in the same comp. But if this was his reason to quit I don't know.

have a nice day
/Bill

I always found it difficult to relax in a comp pre dive, my heart rate was always arythmic (before my operations) I hated the stress of trying to calm it down at low revs. Now it works great, and I hanker to compete again, trouble is the records are miles away from where they were and I am much older too. It only remains to wonder if I can do a personal best............My tinitus is also worse and I wonder whether I should even be thinking about going deep or doing long dynamics ever again. Yet I know if I were to spend even an hour on a line, even just freedivinbg a reef, I would be hooked.

It bothers me.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT