• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

does size matter?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nicky

May 10, 2002
Was just wondering whether the body size/build that you are has an affect on how well you are able to freedive/spearfish.
What do people think?

:girlie

Size? I'll explain when you're older...

body types/build/size/weight/blah blah blah don't seem to make much of a difference. those gangly folks with long arms seem to have an advantage loading longer guns. the skinny folks clain better resistance factors for swimming. all a bullsh... if you as me. 5'9" @ 185 and never had a problem. also helps I can hunt saltwater and be negative without a belt...

I happen to enjoy being short/stocky when I'm wrestling a big grouper :D

willer

Fitness effect freediving.Year ago my static apnea is max 1.5 minute but after my weight training workouts i achived 3.5 minute in my first try.I think its beacuse of my chest and lungs are developed.This is the only thing that i will encounter up to now.

i think there would be some disadvantages to being extremely overbuild (think proffesional body builders...) because they have more muscles and would require more O2 for the same (they would have more power, but it would simply be wasted to water resistance)

there's my 2 cents

ps. im 5'11" @ 155 and i sink in the pool with fully packed lungs (probably in the ocean to but i havent been since march..)

I am not sure if any of the pro bodybuilders interested with in freediving.

my old spearfishing partner was an iron-pusher. he could lock the bands on my NW Special with one hand. damn good shot too.

something like 5'10' 255lbs. big teddy bear...

decent freediver, amazing hunter.

Willer

hi

I agree with vince I doubt you will see a body builder setting world records. As Pellizari says he dosent want to get big muscles cos of the extra oxygen consumption. So unless you can show me a body builder who can beat Umbertos static Pb 7:58, and his depth records I believe him.

cheers

Ps vince what is 5'11 and 155lbs in cm and kilos

hi

I agree with vince I doubt you will see a body builder setting world records. As Pellizari says he dosent want to get big muscles cos of the extra oxygen consumption. So unless you can show me a body builder who can beat Umbertos static Pb 7:58, and his depth records I believe him.

cheers

Ps vince what is 5'11 and 155lbs in cm and kilos and why are you sinking with full lungs and packing

155 lbs,5'11...70 kg and 179 cm...

Beat Umberto in freediving.No way...But in static i don't know.
These big guys have a lung volume as big as your bedroom:D

hi Murat

Is that from having a bigger chest that lifting weights gives you. And if you lift weights does it increase your lung capacity.

cheers

I think there's more to it. Look at Marten Stepanek....he could pose for some of those body mags.
A muscle at rest is a muscle at rest, not consuming much O2. And big thigh, back and ab muscles are a benefit for deep dives where O2 is not really an issue on the ascent anyway: this part is mostly anaerobic, given the need to use fast twitch fibres for power, and the fact that blood is all shunted away from the limbs.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

I have no doubt that your level of fitness can have an effect on your freediving, especially as the day wears on. But, there is no substitute for a strong mind. I would put my money on someone of below average fitness with a strong mind over your ironman triathlete with the wrong mental attitude any day of the week. You can do all the dry land training in the world, but the real improvement comes from getting under the surface as much as possible and learning to relax and become truly comfortable in the water.

matt

my 2 pesos

I think that a greater impact is made with the build between the ears, than the build in the body. But don't look to me as an example, as I'm lacking in both areas currently.

sven

Mattedhead:
there is no substitute for a strong mind. I would put my money on someone of below average fitness with a strong mind over your ironman triathlete with the wrong mental attitude any day of the week.
Thank you for putting your money on me. ;)
well, maybe not "below"...
I think that a greater impact is made with the build between the ears
now, did you mean "years" and just slipped a letter? ;)
"Freedivers age like wine...."

Mental power

I am aware of mental power very very well.
There are popular words between bodybuilders.

"Your mind makes it heavy"

According to me best power combination is mental and internal(spiritual)/chi/quigong......rather than physical.

hey, im a big guy...

Absolutely right! a muscle at rest is a muscle at rest. Now, if you are competing for Mr. Universe, these guys can lose up to 4 lbs in a day, just from standing around flexing for the show. This is a freaky metabolism. Lou Ferigno, the incredible hulk, used to start his day with 30 egg whites, two tomatos with cottage cheese, and other things, and be starved by lunch.

There is a body builder by the name of Lee Haney, a big black fella who used to do chest cavity expansion exercises to give himself a barrel chest. All you need is a weight, something you are going to be able to hold over your head and a small bench.

A bench is pretty low so you will have to lean your back against it just below the shoulder blades. Take the weight and extend your arms over your head and hold it with both hands. Your arms should be in line with the rest of your body. Now, arch your back backwards as far as you can go then come up. I can't seem to find any pictures concerning this, so if any of you know of any, or know what im speaking of, do not hesitate to chime in.

You can do this in many positions, you may try standing, but you will probably arch at your lower back and not the upper-middle where it will be most effective.

TMcKee

Umberto Pellizari told me:

"The best exercise to improve your freediving, is freediving... the next one is swimming... the next one is running... the last one is weight lifting."

I´m now on a 10 months training program designed by Umberto and Apnea Academy, involving all the disciplines above and for weight lifting there is an specific training schedule. 2 moths of basic training, and the rest of apnea weight lifting. From 20-25% of the max weight you can, to 15-20% in the second part...

Long muscles, less volume to obtain less O2 consum.

Re: hey, im a big guy...

Originally posted by TMcKee
Absolutely right! a muscle at rest is a muscle at rest. Now, if you are competing for Mr. Universe, these guys can lose up to 4 lbs in a day, just from standing around flexing for the show. This is a freaky metabolism. Lou Ferigno, the incredible hulk, used to start his day with 30 egg whites, two tomatos with cottage cheese, and other things, and be starved by lunch.

There is a body builder by the name of Lee Haney, a big black fella who used to do chest cavity expansion exercises to give himself a barrel chest. All you need is a weight, something you are going to be able to hold over your head and a small bench.

A bench is pretty low so you will have to lean your back against it just below the shoulder blades. Take the weight and extend your arms over your head and hold it with both hands. Your arms should be in line with the rest of your body. Now, arch your back backwards as far as you can go then come up. I can't seem to find any pictures concerning this, so if any of you know of any, or know what im speaking of, do not hesitate to chime in.

You can do this in many positions, you may try standing, but you will probably arch at your lower back and not the upper-middle where it will be most effective.

TMcKee

I think you are talking about pullovers.
I injured my left elbow while performing it. I was doin' it right form but something happened and i heard "cranck" noise from my left elbow.7 month had passed but it isn't as good as before.

I don't have scanner so i am not able to post the pic.

Re: my 2 pesos

I think that a greater impact is made with the build between the ears, than the build in the body. But don't look to me as an example, as I'm lacking in both areas currently. sven

Ahhh, there we find the answer hiding amidst the master's words . . . it is that smoooooth transition from nothingness to nothingness that makes the difference in freediving (and whatever the hell else he's been doing lately.)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT