• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Does Size Really Matter...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Aquagenic

Jul 19, 2004
Hey Guy's,
I was just wondering if being a larger person helps with freediving. You should have more lung capacity, but then again you have to support a larger heart, body, etc...Does anybody know?

~Picksmith

P.S. Get your mind out of the gutter! :t :t :t

Reactions: mishu1984
i wanted to give you some positive karma but: You must spread your Karma around before giving it to Alison again.

hehehehehehehehehe

A small person with big lungs would seem a better combo than size alone. So maybe a better way to access this would be % lung capacity above norms for a given size?

Alison - you know what they say about someone with big lungs?...or is that feet, hands or nose?

I would say it probably doesn't matter, since there are good freedivers of all sizes.
Someone's bound to make a joke about what I just said...

Lucia

What you would be looking for is the index of your lung volume vs. your height.
My number f.i. is 5,3 litre volume / 1.76 metre height = index 3,0. A dive buddy of mine is 8,5L/1.94m = 4,4. The higher index, the better potential.
The index is like being tall in basketball. It's not a hold-back, but it definitely helps.

So there actually is a way to figure out your lung volume vs. Height index? I didn't realize there was actually a ratio that has been laid down. What is the best index you have heard of?

~Picksmith

"Someone's bound to make a joke about what I just said..."

Naiad - I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. :t

Originally posted by Alison
Wouldnt a lung volume vs body mass or a VO2 max ratio be better?
I would think so, because if there are two people of equal height and lung volume, but one weighs 60kg and the other 90kg, there must be some difference between them. Someone with a lower body mass would use less oxygen, but someone with a higher body mass might have greater stores of O2. Being seriously overweight would probably be a disadvantage. I don't know whether having a greater mass of muscle would be good or bad - would it store O2 or use it faster?

Lucia

I think that muscles were talked about in the thread about bodybuilding and freediving.

From what I read mass amounts of muscle drain Oxygen, but that may have just been in dynamic. They may actually store it during statics. Good question. Does anybody know?

If this has any sway then density would change the ratio of lung size to body mass, and a slightly more complicated formula would have to be cooked up.
If so, body building and free diving may start going hand in hand!

~Picksmith

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT